Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Firewall Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Valentine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Another Firewall Question Reply with quote

Hi again folks,

I don't know if I am being dumb or if the firewall section is just poorly documented, but I have more problems already. Unfortunately, I do not have my plans in front of me so I can't give part numbers. I think it is pages 6B6 and 6B7 (maybe 8, too) -- 601XL.

There does not seem to be any measurements on the plans or in the guide as to the center channel doubler (I think that is what it is called). The guide says to drill those holes first, but there is nothing on the plans about where to drill them except that they are A4/40mm! The plans just show some hash marks, which I have never found to be accurate. So, does anyone have specifics on where the rivet line should go?

Also, there are two wedge shaped pieces at the top on either side of the channel. Again, there are hash marks on the plans, but no measurements as to where the rivet lines should go.

Sorry for the non-specific references, but if you understand the questions then I would appreciate any suggestions.

Michael in NH
601XL
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
rogers_pritchard(at)yahoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Another Firewall Question Reply with quote

Michael,

Give me a call at 603-496-7542

Roger

Michael Valentine <mgvalentine(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote]Hi again folks,

I don't know if I am being dumb or if the firewall section is just poorly documented, but I have more problems already. Unfortunately, I do not have my plans in front of me so I can't give part numbers. I think it is pages 6B6 and 6B7 (maybe 8, too) -- 601XL.

There does not seem to be any measurements on the plans or in the guide as to the center channel doubler (I think that is what it is called). The guide says to drill those holes first, but there is nothing on the plans about where to drill them except that they are A4/40mm! The plans just show some hash marks, which I have never found to be accurate. So, does anyone Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
Check out [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM-]new cars at Yahoo! Autos.[/url] [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Flydog1966(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Another Firewall Question Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/30/2007 11:01:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mgvalentine(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
The plans just show some hash marks, which I have never found to be accurate. So, does anyone have specifics on where the rivet line should go?

Also, there are two wedge shaped pieces at the top on either side of the channel. Again, there are hash marks on the plans, but no measurements as to where the rivet lines should go.

The hash marks on the 701 plans mean - "no rivet zone".

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Another Firewall Question Reply with quote

Quote:
So, does anyone have specifics on where the rivet line should go?

On the plans dated 03/04 6-B-8 calls out two rows of "A4 pitch 40" rivets
along the vertical U channel. It shown them set in from the side bends by 10
mm. The same page calls for "5 rivets A5" into the "gear gusset" (6B8-1).
The side view on that page shows the rivets in an inverted "L" pattern with
three rivets spread across the width of the side of the center U channel and
three rivets down a line parallel to the bend in the central channel. 3+3=5
because of the common rivet in the corner of the "L". To me the side view
shows that the placement of the rivets is bounded by the intersection of the
standard edge distances on the triangular gusset and the center U channel.

BTW: I don't know if you know or care but Zenith has redesigned and
strengthened the pieces on the firewall. The triangular corner gussets have
evolved into pieces 330 mm tall which reach all the way down to reinforce
the 5/8 inch pipe for the bungee. The two doublers around the hole for the
pipe are replaced by a single U-shaped piece. An angle is added across the
width of the horizontal stiffener 6B7-1 and tied to it with a vertical
plate. Angles are riveted along the two diagonal edges of the horizontal
stiffeners. I've attached an image from the 03/06 version of 6-B-8. The new
parts cost me $181 from Zenith.

Quote:
The plans just show some hash marks, which I have never found to be
accurate.

The construction manual says:

"The number of rivets is given in digits (so is the pitch - the spacing
between holes); do not attempt to count the dots from the drawings!"

-- Craig

6b8_150_DPI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.36 KB
 Viewed:  218 Time(s)

6b8_150_DPI.jpg

jeffrey_davidson(at)earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Another Firewall Question Reply with quote

Do not archive
Strengthening the firewall has been a constant process. My HD plans just
show a couple Ls where the triangular gussets used to be. I upgraded to the
triangles, added the U channel on the cabin side, used the thicker XL
"shelf" and retained the old L pattern from the HD plans in addition. I saw
what Craig is describing in the current Kitplanes article on the quick build
kit. Certainly the firewall and nose gear continue to undergo
strengthening. There must be a reason .... Jeff Davidson

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: