Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WING TIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: WING TIPS Reply with quote

I notice there are two styles of wing tips being offered at the present time. The classic drooped tips and the Hoerner style.

I have the drooped style on my plane but I was wondering if any one has tried both styles and found any increase in lift of one style over the other. I fly entirely off water on floats ( the only way to go ) and as you expect every bit of lift I can get is appreciated.
C-FINB is ready for flight if the ice will ever melt!.... next week is looking good.
[img]cid:151192002(at)06052007-17F1[/img]
Picture taken last spring.

It was mentioned to me that the drooped tips obscure visibility... Has any one else noticed this?

[img]cid:151192002(at)06052007-17F8[/img]
Noel Loveys, RPP, AME intern
Campbellton, Newfoundland,
Canada
Kitfox Mod III-A, 582, B box, Ivo IFA
Aerocet 1100s
noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)

Do not archive

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Explorer1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.97 KB
 Viewed:  426 Time(s)

Explorer1.jpg

Signature1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.77 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

Signature1.jpg

xfire

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: WING TIPS Reply with quote

Noel,
This is a bit off topic, but have you flown with and without the ventral fin on your fox ? I am thinking of building one for my Avid if it really helps as much as I think it will. Can you get the basic dimensions of the fin for me?

Thanks

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

582 Full lotus 1260
90% rebuilt
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: WING TIPS Reply with quote

Leonard:

I'll get you the dimensions and a couple of photos in the morning. Sorry I was away for a while.

I haven't flown without the fin and I do think it would make a considerable difference. There are several planes that use additional fins when the floats are installed and they all work to help the plane to fly straight.

[img]cid:029561201(at)13052007-2309[/img]
Noel Loveys, RPP, AME intern
Campbellton, Newfoundland,
Canada
Kitfox Mod III-A, 582, B box, Ivo IFA
Aerocet 1100s
noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)

Do not archive

[quote] --

Signature1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.77 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)

Signature1.jpg

akflyer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: WING TIPS Reply with quote

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
av8rps(at)tznet.com

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: WING TIPS Reply with quote

[quote]

Leonard, I put 1300 hours on three different Avid Flyer models, 90% of those hours on floats. And none of those hours included use of a ventral fin. I never noticed any issues for not having one. The Avids flew beautifully on floats without a ventral fin, and they were extremely maneuverable in all flight modes (fwiw - I did most everything you can do with one on floats too...)

In the last 2 years I have been flying a Kitfox IV-1200 on amphib floats. It has the standard Kitfox ventral fin. It too flies good as a seaplane, but will not slip anywhere near as well as the Avid Flyers did. I suspect that is because of the ventral fin on the Fox, and the fact that the Avid has a "notch" in the back of the fuselage that the Kitfox doesn't. I've not bothered flying it without, but believe if I did it would just take a little adjusting to the increased adverse yaw.

So in my opinion adding a ventral fin to an Avid (or a kitfox for that matter) is probably a little overkill. You won't see significant flight characteristic changes. And the airplane will have adverse yaw either way.

And last but not least, one big detriment of having a ventral fin is when you try to turn the airplane around on a dock, you can't swing the tail over a dock without hitting the ventral fin. Kind of a pain.

Paul Seehafer
Central Wisconsin
Model IV-1200 912ul on Aerocet amphibs Avid A-model 532 Rotax on Avid Floats
IVO prop
[img]cid:005001c7962c$390dc680$0442aa42(at)pc1[/img][img]cid:005101c7962c$39128170$0442aa42(at)pc1[/img]

[quote] --

Kitfox-01.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.69 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

Kitfox-01.JPG

Float_reflection_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.79 KB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

Float_reflection_1.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: