Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Johnson

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com Wiring Reply with quote

I wired my Lancair Legacy using Z13/8.

My Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com radio has two power supplies, one for the navigation part of the radio and one for the communication part. I wired the communication part to the E-bus and the navigation part to the main bus. I figured that if I lost my main alternator, I could likely do without the VOR function of the radio because I'd be using GPS anyway.

The nav and com functions work fine when powered by the main bus, but it's completely dead when powered only by the E-bus. I just talked to Garmin tech support, who confirmed that both the navigation and communication power supplies must be powered for either one to work. Drats! I don't have any extra E-bus fuses, so I'll probably wire an inline ATO fuse from the E-bus to power the navigation part of the radio.

By the way, I love this radio's ability to monitor the standby frequency while still hearing the primary frequency. This is my only radio (I carry a hand held for emergency) and I can listen to the AWOS/ATIS on the standby channel while staying on ATC's frequency. The audio on the standby is muted during transmissions on the primary frequency, so I don't have to worry about missing ATC's radio calls. If there is a lot of traffic on the primary frequency, it can take a while to get all of the AWOS/ATIS info, but I tune it up early, so that's not been a problem. For me, this feature eliminated the need to buy a second radio and install a second antenna on the outside of the airplane.

I thought others might want the info about the need to power both nav and com power supplies for either to work.

Best,
Dennis Johnson
Lancair Legacy, just completed my first flight outside the local area. Northern Calif. to Portland in a little over two hours.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
gyoung

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com Wiring Reply with quote

You could always tie both power wires to a single 7amp fuse using a fast-tab splitter which should protect either wire. The SL-30 internal fuses will blow long before either the 2 or 5amp anyway. BTDT

Regards,
Greg Young

[quote] From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Johnson
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 10:29 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com Wiring

I wired my Lancair Legacy using Z13/8.

My Garmin SL 30 Nav/Com radio has two power supplies, one for the navigation part of the radio and one for the communication part. I wired the communication part to the E-bus and the navigation part to the main bus. I figured that if I lost my main alternator, I could likely do without the VOR function of the radio because I'd be using GPS anyway.

The nav and com functions work fine when powered by the main bus, but it's completely dead when powered only by the E-bus. I just talked to Garmin tech support, who confirmed that both the navigation and communication power supplies must be powered for either one to work. Drats! I don't have any extra E-bus fuses, so I'll probably wire an inline ATO fuse from the E-bus to power the navigation part of the radio.

By the way, I love this radio's ability to monitor the standby frequency while still hearing the primary frequency. This is my only radio (I carry a hand held for emergency) and I can listen to the AWOS/ATIS on the standby channel while staying on ATC's frequency. The audio on the standby is muted during transmissions on the primary frequency, so I don't have to worry about missing ATC's radio calls. If there is a lot of traffic on the primary frequency, it can take a while to get all of the AWOS/ATIS info, but I tune it up early, so that's not been a problem. For me, this feature eliminated the need to buy a second radio and install a second antenna on the outside of the airplane.

I thought others might want the info about the need to power both nav and com power supplies for either to work.

Best,
Dennis Johnson
Lancair Legacy, just completed my first flight outside the local area. Northern Calif. to Portland in a little over two hours.
[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: