Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how hard is it to wire a panel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenN570Z

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: how hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

I am just about finished mine so am in a good position to comment. I also trained as an electrician & have spent plenty of time working on large industrial control panels - how hard can it be!!.

I started mine at the end of March & thought it would take me a month. Funny that huh. If you go the standard route then maybe 100 hrs would be OK, I was at Pacific Coast Avionics the other day speaking to the guy who does the panels for Glastar's 2 weeks to taxi program. He has got them down to 90 hrs & does it on a frame out of the aircraft. For a 1st timer at least 2 maybe three times as long. My panel has AFS 35 & 3400, TT A/Pilot, GNS 430 with a Garmin Transponder & Audio Panel. When I bought the Avionics I had Stark wire the interconnects for the Avionics, I have changed it a little since I moved some of the kit added more. Then at the last moment I added a Icom A200. All this rests on a Fiberglass panel with Aluminum Inserts. At our hanger I have seen 6 panels done by Aerotronics, they arrive tested with a manual & are hooked up in about 3 days with Cannon plugs & they really are 1st class. You can spend tonnes of time chasing wire, special pins, tools etc etc. I spent half a day on Friday trying to get hold of the tech dept of the traffic monitor I installed, trying to make the thing beep so I can test the Audio circuit. Also I have 26 circuit breakers, 14 rocker switches & I still haven't painted the inserts, installed the transfers & clear coated the finished product.

It's been interesting doing it but adding anything takes a lot of extra time, I suppose if you are doing a very basic panel & didn't care too much about how it looked then you could do it really quick but its what you are going to spend your time looking at. Maybe save some money on the paint job & have it done for you.

Anyway hope that helps
Stephen
RV7 N570Z
Wiring - nearly done
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Jerry Cochran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

Let me jump in here with a huge "DITTO"... When I started wiring, GRT, TruTrak, 2x ICOM's, Dynon, XPDR, I knew nothing about it except how to change a wall outlet. Good friend Bob Haan suggested Bob's book and I never looked back. Using Z-11 as a basis and excellent/free schematic software from
http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm I wired my now-flying RV-6a. I've had a couple glitches and the schematics prove invaluable. No guessing which wire does what as they are all marked on the schematic as well as the wire itself.

HTH,
Jerry Cochran
Quote:
Subject: Re: How hard is it to wire a panel?
oh and...  without Bob's book, I would have had no choice but to
throw myself on the mercy of a panel builder -- and would have had an
infinitely harder time setting up a working electrical system. I
used Z12 and have been very happy with it.
D

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DBaleshta(at)tru.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

Hi, one of my anti-virus programs is showing this program infected with Malware - Adware.Win32.DM.I Does anyone one else have experience with this? (It was downloaded from the West Coast Server).

Doug

Quote:
>> Jerry2DT(at)aol.com 11/06/2007 9:56 am >>>

Let me jump in here with a huge "DITTO"... When I started wiring, GRT, TruTrak, 2x ICOM's, Dynon, XPDR, I knew nothing about it except how to change a wall outlet. Good friend Bob Haan suggested Bob's book and I never looked back. Using Z-11 as a basis and excellent/free schematic software from
http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm I wired my now-flying RV-6a. I've had a couple glitches and the schematics prove invaluable. No guessing which wire does what as they are all marked on the schematic as well as the wire itself.

HTH,
Jerry Cochran
Quote:
oh and... without Bob's book, I would have had no choice but to
D

[quote]

ist">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ics.com

[b]

longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

I might add..

After talking to Lanciar, Stark and Stien etc. etc and getting generally scared off by their pricing, I looked locally and found a very good avionics shop who was willing to work with me and didn't require I ship things back and forth to as well as guess measurements etc. Buy your stuff, drill the holes and mount everything yourself. Now, buy as many of the GRT/Dynon or whatever pre-made harnesses you can find. From there a good shop will charge you a much more reasonable fee to hook it up.
Look locally, you'll find a great technician who has all the know how and someone you can go back to if there is a problem.

In the end you will learn a little about the art, save a bunch of money, make your own decisions and be assured of reading a minimum number of eMails on this website to fix problems that are keeping you on the ground. This concept may also reduce smoke in the cockpit.

--

billsettle(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

Oh Great..! I just downloaded it.

Bill Settle

Quote:

Date: 2007/06/11 Mon PM 12:43:22 EST
To: <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: How hard is it to wire a panel

Hi, one of my anti-virus programs is showing this program infected with
Malware - Adware.Win32.DM.I Does anyone one else have experience with
this? (It was downloaded from the West Coast Server).

Doug

>>> Jerry2DT(at)aol.com 11/06/2007 9:56 am >>>

Let me jump in here with a huge "DITTO"... When I started wiring, GRT,
TruTrak, 2x ICOM's, Dynon, XPDR, I knew nothing about it except how to
change a wall outlet. Good friend Bob Haan suggested Bob's book and I
never looked back. Using Z-11 as a basis and excellent/free schematic
software from
http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm I wired my
now-flying RV-6a. I've had a couple glitches and the schematics prove
invaluable. No guessing which wire does what as they are all marked on
the schematic as well as the wire itself.

HTH,
Jerry Cochran

oh and... without Bob's book, I would have had no choice but to
D

harley(at)AgelessWings.co

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

Bill, Doug, et al....

No problem...I just downloaded it as well, and after seeing your posts,
I checked it...and nothing was found. We've run into other false
positives either here or on the Cadd forum I'm also a member of ...it
can happen quite regularly with some detection programs.

Returning false positives is fairly common with many virus/adware/spy
detection programs. Which is why I use AVG (and Ad-aware and Spybot).
AVG (unlike McAffee , AOL, Norton and Symantec) has a history of being
able to accurately distinguish false readings from real ones, not to
mention it's continuous 100% detection record of the nasties!

The link apparently had nothing in it or attached to it.

Harley Dixon

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Settle wrote:
Quote:

Bill Settle

> From: "Doug Baleshta" <DBaleshta(at)tru.ca>
> Date: 2007/06/11 Mon PM 12:43:22 EST
> To: <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>
> Subject: Re: How hard is it to wire a panel
>
> Hi, one of my anti-virus programs is showing this program infected with
> Malware - Adware.Win32.DM.I Does anyone one else have experience with
> this? (It was downloaded from the West Coast Server).
>
> Doug
>

nuckollsr(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: How hard is it to wire a panel Reply with quote

At 06:07 AM 6/12/2007 -0500, you wrote:

Quote:

<billsettle(at)bellsouth.net>

This software is from a very reputable source. I've been
using the current version and its ancestors for about
7 years. I'm exceedingly skeptical that the virus 'hit'
is a valid positive discovery.

Bob . . .
Quote:
Bill Settle

>
> From: "Doug Baleshta" <DBaleshta(at)tru.ca>
> Date: 2007/06/11 Mon PM 12:43:22 EST
> To: <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com>
> Subject: Re: How hard is it to wire a panel
>
> Hi, one of my anti-virus programs is showing this program infected with
> Malware - Adware.Win32.DM.I Does anyone one else have experience with
> this? (It was downloaded from the West Coast Server).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: