Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACS Experimental Door Handle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Leonard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Has anyone (else) installed the "Experimental Door Handle" set? I worked out the layout and install of the outside flush billet and it came out looking great. I had thought I had worked out how the inside mechanism was going to fit but it will be a little tighter than I thought and will take some "special" engineering (fiberglass work).

Has anyone already installed one of these and can provide any guidance and pictures. Sure could use some advise here, other than don't do it/use someting else/what were you thinking.

Thanks,
Nick

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Deems Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

I believe that Rick Sked went this way.

Deems

nick(at)nleonard.com wrote:
Quote:

Has anyone (else) installed the "Experimental Door Handle" set? I worked out the layout and install of the outside flush billet and it came out looking great. I had thought I had worked out how the inside mechanism was going to fit but it will be a little tighter than I thought and will take some "special" engineering (fiberglass work).

Has anyone already installed one of these and can provide any guidance and pictures. Sure could use some advise here, other than don't do it/use someting else/what were you thinking.

Thanks,
Nick

--------
Nick Leonard
RV-10 (40015) Finish

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=119417#119417

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Rick S.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Yes I have those handles and they do require some door mods, nothing major. The area aft of the handle in the door pocket needs to be cut away to allow the assembly to fit in the door. and you need to put a shallow Z bend in the pushrod to allow it to go from the inner door panel up to the attach point on the handle. Don't don't glue the area in the door handle pocket, the recess of the handle is only as thich as the outer door skin. Cut this out prior to glueing the door inner skin. After the doors are assembled you can add pieces of the glass back to the outer skin above and below the door hadle assembly. I am making door ulpholstery skins that will be covered ala the Deem's method. I will add spacers to the interior handle so that it exits the finished door panel via a hole the same size as the handle barrel. I made different handles for the interior that are similar to the Coss Aviation handles out of some 3/16 2024 aluminum with lightening holes and then polished to a nice finish. There will be no recess for my interior handles, the only thing you will see it the handle, spaced out from the door just enough to allow you to move it forward and aft. I am still considering a spring lock of some kind but the latches do over center well and it should not be needed but I may do it to stop an inadvertent movement of the latch. A simple pip pin may work fine or a spring loaed pin that you pull to release the handle to move. I have not finished this part of the doors yet. I do plan on laying up some fiberglass over the entire latch mechanisim to add some strength back to the door panel. I have disassembled the latch to see fi there might be some wear issues in the future, any of the parts that may wear can be removed from the latch and replaced so permantly mounting the main part should not be an issue. Be warned that there are a few springs and little pieces on the interior that will fly if you not careful. I took mine aprt inside a large, clear ziplock bag. If I hadn't done this I am sure I would have lost!
parts.
The manufacturer warns against disassembly for this reason. My Dad told me the same thing about flashlights and that didn't stop me from doing it. I feel pretty confident in my mechanical skills so I chanced it. If I had to do it over I might have gone with the Coss handles becasue they are designed to fit in the pocket molded in the doors. Mine work fine, I just need to layup my finish panels to show how it will look when done. I can't post any pics till next week. I on the road till Sunday night.

Rick S.

Nick Leonard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply about the door handles. The one thing that I like about these handles are the clean/flush exterior and the ability to get an extra keyed lock ($16) for the baggage door. Their full-sized drawings turned out not to be, but the dimensions were all that was needed to get a good layout.

An over-center spring mechanism on the assembly shouldn't be too hard to add and would no doubt improve the overall design.

I'm contemplating connecting the aft (long) rod to the inner-most (outside) tang of the rear handle assembly rather than to the through bolt (screw). This should keep it behind the existing inner door panel. This can't be done with the forward rod so an offset bend after the locking tumbler seems to be one option or just adding a slight raised area to the length of the forward section of the inner door panel is the other option.

Because of the changing angles of the push rods, unlike the original straight design, I plan on adding a rod-end hinge point just inside of the rod exit points at the ends of the doors.

Any suggestions, one way or the other, from your experiences? I would love to see any pictures that you may have, as I'm sure that they will help, especially with the handle design.

Nick

Rick S.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Oh yeah, don't follow the full size drawing, redraw it using their dimensions. I was smart enough to make a cardboard cutout from their drawing and the assembly did not fit in it, when I drew it out based on the dimensions it fit like a glove.

Rick S.

Deems Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Nick, here's a link to some pics that do what your talking about. The
'Bullets' were obtained from Coss.

http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec%2045%20Cabin%20Doors%20and%20Transparancies/slides/DSC03652.html

Deems Davis # 406
Baffling / Plenum / Engine Stuff
http://deemsrv10.com/
nick(at)nleonard.com wrote:
Quote:
--> RV1
Because of the changing angles of the push rods, unlike the original straight design, I plan on adding a rod-end hinge point just inside of the rod exit points at the ends of the doors.

Any suggestions, one way or the other, from your experiences? I would love to see any pictures that you may have,

capsteve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

nick, this handle from spruce is made by an independent machinist in the
midwest somewhere. Its actually a great design and well built, just too deep
(thick) for our doors. We really don't need two double tabs for linkage
attachment. I talked to the machinist to modify it to better fit our
application and found he wasn't interested. I've been diligently woking on a
modified version to offer to rv10's specificly. I've attached pics on how my
kit attaches to the existing pushrod mechanism without modifications to the
original design. I wanted to leave the interior locking handle in place for
safety. If you bought a set already drop me a line and I'll send some of the
dimensions for linkages and guideblocks I used. (note the pics were taken
with the aircraft spruce handles in my doors)
Steve dinieri
Iflyrv10.com

Any suggestions, one way or the other, from your experiences? I would love
to see any pictures that you may have, as I'm sure that they will help,
especially with the handle design.

Nick

--------
Nick Leonard
RV-10 (40015) Finish

DSC02503.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.1 KB
 Viewed:  479 Time(s)

DSC02503.JPG

DSC02476.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.6 KB
 Viewed:  493 Time(s)

DSC02476.JPG

Rick S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: ACS Experimental Door Handle Reply with quote

Great idea Steve...mine are done but I like your idea.

Rick S.

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: