Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy wide open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamara_b(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

I wonder what would be a safe speed
in a CJ with the rear canopy open all
the way?

cheers

Elmar (C-FTKL)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
JBernier(at)dart.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

I don't know what the max. air speed is for the CJ with rear canopy back, call it the safe canopy speed. But I found it safe and advisable to have the GIB put the canopy back and locked upon landing. I tell them that it's safe to move it back as long as the gear is down and we are landing. (Three green.) If we do have a mishap they can get out a little easier. The experience is better for them. The view is better, wind in the face type thing. A feeling that they can touch their surroundings. I also slide mine back.
On the other side of the coin, I have had a situation were you would think that the canopy should have come off. The GIB failed to lock the canopy in the closed position. We went into a loop and it slide back when in the vertical. Coming out of the loop the canopy was still back, unknown to me. He closed it at about 180 MPH. No damage. I'm thankful for the 5 point Hooker harness. I go slightly negative over the top.
It's always an adventure since I usually have a new-be flying with me.
Jim B

Quote:
>> "Elmar" <tamara_b(at)telus.net> 6/17/2007 2:45 AM >>>

I wonder what would be a safe speed
in a CJ with the rear canopy open all
the way?

cheers

Elmar (C-FTKL)
[quote]

://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
nics.com

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

I have inadvertently left my REAR canopy open and than dived my CJ-6 to near the red line speed. Nothing happened. I have normally flown it at cruise speed during photo sessions as a photo ship and have no hesitation to do so.

Now this is for the standard CJ-6 canopy. I do not know what aerodynamics would effect the "Malcolm hood" canopies that are becoming so popular. I can't imagine that it would be very much.

I do NOT fly with both canopy open at the same time. Years ago I removed the plexiey glass from between the cockpits. Doing this allows the air stream to very nearly blow the GIB clean out of the cockpit! Smile

Though who have flown on my wing can tell you that I fly with my canopy open a great deal of the time.

I not remember reading maximum speeds for the canopies in the manual that I have. Maybe someone else has?

Since the Yak has pretty much the same construction, does the Yak have a stated speed?

Here is where we need to have a "confession" time. Fess-up to what has happened to us in regards to canopies. Its how we learn.

Some where in my photo collection I have a picture of a 3 of F-86 Sabers in echelon left. All of them have their canopy slide back. Really cool picture, (pardoned the bun).

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

I have never seen any document stating the max operating airspeed of a Yak 52 with the rear canopy open.
Dennis

[quote] ---

cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

Just so happens I can provide some numbers here. My rear canopy is a little tricky to latch, luckily I made new stops before one particular low pass at 196 KTS, no wind, GPS. Then there was a Sun 'n Fun 60 race where that rear canopy popped open on takeoff. Stayed open all the way, limiting my average speed to 158 KTS. During the flight I'm thinking "*&%$/*(at) gear doors are hanging!

When flying on Lead's wing with Lead's canopy open or at the notch, closing the canopy will cause the wingman to increase power to hold position.

Craig Payne
cpayne(at)joimail.com (cpayne(at)joimail.com)

[quote][b]

tamara_b(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your contributions.

I tried it today, rear canopy all the way open and within
the gear extension speed. What a feeling, especially at
low level flying over the water. Why can't marital copulation
be that great?

cheers

Elmar (C-FTKL)

P.S.: Sorry, English is not my native language.
[quote][b]

Tyson(at)TVRPhotography.C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Canopy wide open Reply with quote

As a back seat photographer in numerous Nanchangs and Yaks, I might be
able to give a little insight about flying with the canopy open.
Although I don't know related Vne speeds or the canopy's maximum speed
before departure, I can say that if you notice the rear canopy open,
close the front canopy immediately. So long as the front canopy is
closed, wind buffeting and pressure is quite minimal and unless the
canopy has major existing problems, it's unlikely to depart the
aircraft. However, I have noticed that as soon as the front canopy is
opened to even the first notch (Nanchang), buffeting in the rear begins
to occur. With some flights at normal cruise speed, I've had to
partially close the rear canopy to reduce the pressure and 'bypass' air
coming into the rear until the front canopy has been completely closed.

As far as the effects on aircraft speed, I've flown along in just about
every formation position with the rear canopy open and the aircraft (and
pilots) seem to perform quite well. (This is where I'm a bit out of my
jurisdiction since I'm not a pilot...but I have debriefed!) And on that
note, I really do have to commend the design of the Yaks n' Changs when
it comes to flying with the rear canopy open. Of all the aircraft I've
flown in, this design is the most comfortable and the most stable to be
a passenger in along with the ease of operating the canopy numerous
times during a single flight.

Hope that provides some helpful insight from a somewhat versatile
passenger point of view.

Cheers,
Tyson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: