Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attitude gyro problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg.Puckett(at)united.co

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Attitude gyro problem. Reply with quote

Help!! My attitude indicator is driving me nuts!

The attitude indicator is a RC Allen RCA26AK2 (14v electric) with 8deg tilt installed in my RV-8.

From the first flight, the indicator showed signs of what I thought was precession. During constant altitude standard rate turns, when rolling out to wings level the indicator would show up to 10deg bank in the opposite direction. While turning at standard rate level altitude, after 90 deg of hdg change in one direction the indicator would show up to 5deg of false climb and 5deg of false descent when in the other direction. BTW, the indicator does not show any bank during turns on the ground.

I thought, well this thing has been sitting for some time, the bearings must be bad. I sent the indicator back to Kelly Mfg for repair, they replaced the bearings and recalibrated. After reinstalling, I still had the same problem. I suspected that the repair was not sufficient and sent it back again with no fault found. I still had the same problem in the airplane after reinstalling.

I checked some things with the A/C such as actual panel tilt, voltage at the instrument with respect to the instrument ground, noise on the power in. The only thing I found was that my actual panel tilt was more like 5.5 deg and not 8. I shimmed the instrument so that it was exactly 8 deg and it did not help the problem at all. I thought for sure, something must be wrong with the instrument. Kelly mfg agreed to exchange it for a new manufacture instrument. I still have the same problem with the new instrument.

I then thought, even though it’s a spinning hunk of mass, something must be interfering with it. I wrapped the case in mu-metal, turned off all electrical equipment in the panel including both alternators and you guessed it, I still have the problem. WTF….

What else could possibly be causing this????

Thanks in advance,

Greg

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
simon(at)synchronousdesig

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Attitude gyro problem. Reply with quote

Greg,

Measure the voltage at the unit, not at the battery, and report back.

Simon Ramirez, Aerocanard Builder
<?xml:namespace prefix = ns0 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />LEZ N-44LZ
Oviedo, FL 32765 USA

Copyright © 2007

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Puckett, Gregory [DENTK]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:13 PM
To: AeroElectric-List(at)matronics.com
Subject: Attitude gyro problem.

Help!! My attitude indicator is driving me nuts!

The attitude indicator is a RC Allen RCA26AK2 (14v electric) with 8deg tilt installed in my RV-8.

From the first flight, the indicator showed signs of what I thought was precession. During constant altitude standard rate turns, when rolling out to wings level the indicator would show up to 10deg bank in the opposite direction. While turning at standard rate level altitude, after 90 deg of hdg change in one direction the indicator would show up to 5deg of false climb and 5deg of false descent when in the other direction. BTW, the indicator does not show any bank during turns on the ground.

I thought, well this thing has been sitting for some time, the bearings must be bad. I sent the indicator back to Kelly Mfg for repair, they replaced the bearings and recalibrated. After reinstalling, I still had the same problem. I suspected that the repair was not sufficient and sent it back again with no fault found. I still had the same problem in the airplane after reinstalling.

I checked some things with the A/C such as actual panel tilt, voltage at the instrument with respect to the instrument ground, noise on the power in. The only thing I found was that my actual panel tilt was more like 5.5 deg and not 8. I shimmed the instrument so that it was exactly 8 deg and it did not help the problem at all. I thought for sure, something must be wrong with the instrument. Kelly mfg agreed to exchange it for a new manufacture instrument. I still have the same problem with the new instrument.

I then thought, even though it’s a spinning hunk of mass, something must be interfering with it. I wrapped the case in mu-metal, turned off all electrical equipment in the panel including both alternators and you guessed it, I still have the problem. WTF….

What else could possibly be causing this????

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database: 269.7.6/814 - Release Date: 5/21/2007 2:01 PM [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Greg.Puckett(at)united.co

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Attitude gyro problem. Reply with quote

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the response.

When I say

Quote:
voltage at the instrument with respect to the instrument ground.

I meant what you said, at the backshell of the indicator, while in flight. It was reading .2 volts less that the buss voltage with 5 mv of ripple with the alternator online. To me, that seemed in the reasonable range.

Greg

p.s. I did notice today that the panel cutout had almost a 1 deg error in roll with respect to the main spar that I corrected by elongating the holes in the panel. I can't believe something like that could be the answer and unfortunately, the weather was too crappy to fly and see. Let me know if you can think of anything else to try.

hmanvel(at)manvel.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Attitude gyro problem. Reply with quote

Greg,
In case the other suggestions don't do the trick; I had trouble with my vacuum horizon for many hours early in the testing phase of my airplane. It would show a bank when wings were level, usually after a long climb or descent. Nothing I did solved the problem, until I isolated the gauge with a rubber tube used as a gasket. This cured it, proving that the problem was vibration. I then installed one of those "Nu-Lite" lighted circles in place of the gasket, and it still works perfectly. I guess it did enough to either dampen the vibrations, or it changed the frequency at which the gauge would get attacked by it .
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
PTK / Pontiac, MI
[quote] ---

Nick1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Attitude gyro problem. Reply with quote

Greg,
Just curious what was the problem?
Do you need any more suggestions?
Nick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: