Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nose gear questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sperry50(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I am also at that point. I have put everything together and when I check the freedom of the nose strut it is very free until I put the bungee on. It then becomes almost impossible to move. I do not have the engine hung yet and I assume with that weight some of the friction with the top stop plate will be eliminated things will be freed up??? Do any of you have suggestions on this?

Skip Perry – 601XL

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

> It then becomes almost impossible to move.

Is the hole in the upper "shelf" slightly larger than the hole in the upper bearing? In other words does the nose tube ride on the nyloil (as it should) or the aluminum? Also is your nose gear tube painted where it rubs on the upper and lower bearings? That can also add a lot of friction. And (as I mentioned in my last post) is there a gap between the horizontal bungee "pin" and the nose gear tube? There should be. It is hard to get to but try slipping a piece of paper between the two to check for a gap.

-- Craig
[quote] [b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: nose gear questions Reply with quote

On both my nose gear and one other builder's in my area, the top stop plate hits the top bearing well before the bottom cross member hits the lower bearing. I believe it is supposed to hit the lower bearing first since this has the centering feature. We both had to add shims between the stop plate and the gear strut. I added just enough to make them hit almost at the same time. Longer bolts also need to be added to make up for the extra grip length.

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

Hi Skip,
If the strut is free before you put the bungee on it would seem that
you're o.k. The bungee is a serious force that only engine weight will
counteract.
If you have added plastic bearings, there is little chance that binding
would occur. Earlier plans without bearing plastic did have problems
with binding,
but I assume you've got the bearing material in place. If you didn't,
you'd have a bigger problem to deal with.
The paint will eventually wear off and any uneven pull thru on the
plates will smooth out once you've got the engine in place.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Skip Perry wrote:
[quote]
Strangely enough, I am also at that point. I have put everything
together and when I check the freedom of the nose strut it is very
free _until_ I put the bungee on. It then becomes almost impossible to
move. I do not have the engine hung yet and I assume with that weight
some of the friction with the top stop plate will be eliminated things
will be freed up??? Do any of you have suggestions on this?

Skip Perry – 601XL

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

Skip, it better work right without any weight on it because that's how it will be inflight. Whatever the problem, it needs to be worked out now.

Dred

---- Skip Perry <sperry50(at)comcast.net> wrote:
[quote] Strangely enough, I am also at that point. I have put everything together
and when I check the freedom of the nose strut it is very free until I put
the bungee on. It then becomes almost impossible to move. I do not have the
engine hung yet and I assume with that weight some of the friction with the
top stop plate will be eliminated things will be freed up??? Do any of you
have suggestions on this?

Skip Perry - 601XL

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

rickpitcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

---
> --> Zenith-List message posted by: <dredmoody(at)cox.net>
>
> Skip, it better work right without any weight on it because that's how it
> will be inflight. Whatever the problem, it needs to be worked out now.
>
> Dred

I was worried about the same thing when I assembled my nose gear. It turned
out to be a non-issue. By the time I made a couple of taxi tests everything
smoothed out nicely. Just needed some exercising.

Rick
scratch built zodiac... flying and happy Smile

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: nose gear questions Reply with quote

Skip, a couple points. Check the clearance at the top aluminum cross brace that the shaft goes throuh. The one above the green plastic fairlead bushing plate. I found on mine they were not aligned exactly right and had to file a bit off the metal. Second thing is I primed and pained the steel ( I guess so it would not rust ??? ) All that had to come off to allow travel. Last the long bolts at the bottom that hold the bottom plastic blocks together were too tight. I also added a generous application of grease. Once all these corrections and adjustments were made the shaft moved up and down and side to side with no problem. Best regards, Bill of Georgia
Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: