Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobair8(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> I have an old analog Sony Handycam (CCD-FX310) that I'd like to mount in the cockpit to record my upcoming flight tests. Batteries are expensive and don't last long -- I'd like to use ship's power. It has a 110VAC to 7.5VDC power brick (Sony Model AC-V35) with a special adapter plate that clicks into the place where the battery would go. The brick says the output is 7.5VDC & 1.6A. I'd like to cut the cord between the brick and the adapter plate, insert a set of connectors and make a pigtail with a matching connector on one end and a cigarette lighter plug on the other.

Because of the voltage difference (14VDC - 7.5VDC), it looks like I'll need about a 4 ohm resistor to drop the 6.5VDC. It looks like the power consumption will be about 10.4 Watts. The closest thing I could find on Radio Shack's website is either a 1 ohm or 10 ohm, 10 Amp, 10% wire-wound power resistor (Catalog No. 271-131). There was no indication how large they are physically. In theory, I could chain four of the 1 ohm units together.

Is my thinking correct? All I want is to power the camcorder from ship's power. Any recommendations on connectors and any critique on the idea of simply putting a resistor (and a fuse) in the pigtail/circuit to reduce the voltage? Is there any other power conditioning I should do?

Best regards,

Bob

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
zk-vii(at)rvproject.gen.n

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Depending on how complicated you want to get. A LM2579 plus a few external components (a schotty diode, a couple of caps / resistors and an inductor) can provide a switched DC-DC step down supply <3A.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/LM2576-D.PDF

Total parts from digikey / mouser should be < $20 I would hope.

Regards,

Carl (working on a Canon DV camera power feed Wink

--
ZK-VII - RV 7A QB - still finishing? - New Zealand
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/
[quote] --

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

Your calculations on how to do this show why it isn't usually done with resistors. Resistors also presume constant load, which in general is not often true.

If you had to do this in a hurry you could simply wire a 6V lamp in series. But the right way to do it is a linear regulator chip like the LM350.

See: http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM350.html. The LM317 can be used, but is 1.5A. The LM350 is the same part at 3A.

"Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats."
-- Howard Aiken

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
echristley(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

r falstad wrote:
Quote:
I have an old analog Sony Handycam (CCD-FX310) that I'd like to mount in the cockpit to record my upcoming flight tests. Batteries are expensive and don't last long -- I'd like to use ship's power. It has a 110VAC to 7.5VDC power brick (Sony Model AC-V35) with a special adapter plate that clicks into the place where the battery would go. The brick says the output is 7.5VDC & 1.6A. I'd like to cut the cord between the brick and the adapter plate, insert a set of connectors and make a pigtail with a matching connector on one end and a cigarette lighter plug on the other.

Because of the voltage difference (14VDC - 7.5VDC), it looks like I'll need about a 4 ohm resistor to drop the 6.5VDC. It looks like the power consumption will be about 10.4 Watts. The closest thing I could find on Radio Shack's website is either a 1 ohm or 10 ohm, 10 Amp, 10% wire-wound power resistor (Catalog No. 271-131). There was no indication how large they are physically. In theory, I could chain four of the 1 ohm units together.

Is my thinking correct? All I want is to power the camcorder from ship's power. Any recommendations on connectors and any critique on the idea of simply putting a resistor (and a fuse) in the pigtail/circuit to reduce the voltage? Is there any other power conditioning I should do?

Best regards,

Bob

Seems to be a lot of work for a temporary use that could be holding up

your flight tests. You can get a 70watt inverter for about $20 that
will plug into the cigarette lighter jack. Then you can use your
adapter plate as-is, don't have to worry that you got all the
electronics modified correctly, and won't regret cutting the cord at
some point in the future.

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with chocolate in one hand and wine in
the other, loudly proclaiming 'WOO HOO What a Ride!'"
--Unknown

Bob McC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

Bob;

One of the shortcomings of doing it with a simple resistor is that the Camcorder's current draw will vary as you record, or go to standby, zoom, or turn it on/off etc. (It's not constant at that 1.6 Amp figure, that's just a max) Therefore the voltage you're applying to it will vary (perhaps drastically, all the way up to the supply voltage) and the camcorder may not like that. (As the current requirement falls so does the voltage drop across your resistor and therefore a greater voltage is applied to your camcorder than you planned for)

Bob McC
[quote] ---

Falco #908
(just starting)
simon(at)synchronousdesig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

Bob,

Th other guys are correct about using a resistor to drop the voltage. It will have varying voltage at the load, as it draws varying current. Not a good way to go.

You need a voltage regulator. Someone earlier suggested that you need a linear voltage regulator. The problem with this solution is that it will dissipate (not consume) 6.5V*1.6A = 10.4W. That's a lot of power, and you will have to heat sink it very heftily. It does have the advantage of providing the cleanest output, though, if you can handle the heat sinking.

Another solution is to go with a packaged switching voltage regulator. Digi-Key has the TI PT78HT208H (Digi-Key pn 296-20250-ND) in stock for USD $16.20. It outputs 8.0V at 2.0A all day long. Can you handle 8.0V ± 2%? Can you handle output voltage ripple of ±1% (0.08V)? If you can, this may be the way to go. This part comes in an EFA package, which is about 1 inch X .90 inch X .31 inch.

Unfortunately, it needs a 1 uF ceramic capacitor C1 at the input and a 100 uF electrolytic capacitor C2 at the output. Here are some examples:

Digi-Key pn493-1283-ND
100 uF, 16V, electrolytic, radial, 20%, general purpose, min buy 1, price USD $0.14 each
Digi-Key pn 478-4504-ND
1 uF, 50V, ceramic, 10%, radial, general purpose, min buy 1, price USD $9.02 each

All parts above are RoHS, so soldering will be about the same temp.

Since Digi-Key has a USD $5 handling charge for orders less than USD $25, you can throw these caps into the same order to get it above $25. I would strongly advise you looking at the datasheets to know what you are getting into, but I believe that this combo of parts would suit your requirements, if you can handle 8 VDC ± the tolerances above.

Simon Ramirez, Aerocanard Builder
<?xml:namespace prefix = ns0 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Flying LEZ
Copyright © 2007
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of r falstad
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 9:13 PM
To: AEROELECTRIC LIST
Subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> I have an old analog Sony Handycam (CCD-FX310) that I'd like to mount in the cockpit to record my upcoming flight tests. Batteries are expensive and don't last long -- I'd like to use ship's power. It has a 110VAC to 7.5VDC power brick (Sony Model AC-V35) with a special adapter plate that clicks into the place where the battery would go. The brick says the output is 7.5VDC & 1.6A. I'd like to cut the cord between the brick and the adapter plate, insert a set of connectors and make a pigtail with a matching connector on one end and a cigarette lighter plug on the other.

Best regards,

Bob

[quote][b] href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com AVG. 2:22 PM [quote][b]

harley(at)AgelessWings.co

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Powering a Camcorder to Record Flight Tests Reply with quote

Have you considered simply buying a new camera? The new snapshot
cameras also do video as good as the digital camcorders. Kinda an
all-in-one.

I just got a Fuji V10 from Tiger Direct for $170 that not only takes 5
MB photos, but has an almost unlimited video feature (and it does it in
AVI...uncompressed...format..best quality...results look - and are-
BETTER than my JVC analog video camera). Has a card slot, which Fuji
uses their own more expensive XD cards in, but with the 1 GB XD card
that came with it, I'm all set for 15 minute videos.

You don't have to get a Fuji, though. Todays newer cameras have all the
featueres of ones just a month or two old. Look for a camera that uses
the cheaper SD cards, and get a couple of $20 2GB cards, and you'll be
set for hour long videos. Video length is limited only by the size or
number of the SD cards.

It also has several neat games built in to keep the GIB or KIB (Kid In
Back) busy on long trips.

www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010403fuji_v10.asp

As someone else mentioned, get a universal car power cord from Radio
Shack and with the camera's standard tripod mount, you could mount it
just about anywhere in the plane with a tripod screw. Haven't tested
the battery yet for longevity, but it lasts for days. I take many
pictures daily...took a 15 minute video and a bunch of flash pictures at
a family gathering last Friday, transferred them to the computer and the
battery indicator still read full.

Has full normal video...30 frames per second at 640 x 480 pixels, so
it's as good as any analog unit. Also has NTSC output for TV viewing,
sound, built in slide show option, etc.

Look around and you'll probably find a better one cheaper now...they
seem to upgrade monthly!

Harley Dixon
------------------------------------------------------------------------

r falstad wrote:
Quote:
I have an old analog Sony Handycam (CCD-FX310) that I'd like to mount
in the cockpit to record my upcoming flight tests. Batteries are
expensive and don't last long -- I'd like to use ship's power. It has
a 110VAC to 7.5VDC power brick (Sony Model AC-V35) with a special
adapter plate that clicks into the place where the battery would go.
The brick says the output is 7.5VDC & 1.6A. I'd like to cut the cord
between the brick and the adapter plate, insert a set of connectors
and make a pigtail with a matching connector on one end and a
cigarette lighter plug on the other.

Because of the voltage difference (14VDC - 7.5VDC), it looks like I'll
need about a 4 ohm resistor to drop the 6.5VDC. It looks like the
power consumption will be about 10.4 Watts. The closest thing I could
find on Radio Shack's website is either a 1 ohm or 10 ohm, 10 Amp, 10%
wire-wound power resistor (Catalog No. 271-131). There was no
indication how large they are physically. In theory, I could chain
four of the 1 ohm units together.

Is my thinking correct? All I want is to power the camcorder from
ship's power. Any recommendations on connectors and any critique on
the idea of simply putting a resistor (and a fuse) in the
pigtail/circuit to reduce the voltage? Is there any other power
conditioning I should do?

Best regards,

Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: