Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.s.elliott(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers! Reply with quote

Folks:

Please note that adding weight to your plane in a belly pod is absolutely NOT the same as adding in the wing lockers.

For the same delta in gross, weight in the wings *reduces* the wing bending moments while weight in the middle *increases* them. That is why for most aircraft with tip tanks, the weight of the fuel and tank at the tip is a "freebie" on loading the plane. Moving that same weight to the middle will reduce the allowable G envelope accordingly.

Andy Elliott, Mesa, AZ
N601GE (reserved)
601XL/TD/QB, Corvair, building...
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
PatrickW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers! Reply with quote

Wouldn't the overall wing strength be compromised more by cutting the top skins for wing lockers than it would be if the top skins were left intact and 40 lbs were hung in the area someplace near the CG between the main gear and the firewall?

I thought the wing derived significant strength from it's skin?

My wings are complete, except for final riveting of the top skins. I have the wing locker option, but have not cut the skins at this time.

The idea of leaving the skins intact for reasons of strength, and exploring external cargo storage options is an attractive idea.

Patrick
XL/Corvair

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

leinad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers! Reply with quote

Patrick,
I'm not an aeronautical engineer but part of my thinking on this issue was that the cut outs are mostly effecting the negative G strenght of wing since they are on top. I'm going with with the wing lockers.
Dan

Quote:
Wouldn't the overall wing strength be compromised more by cutting the top skins for wing lockers than it would be if the top skins were left intact and 40 lbs were hung in the area someplace near the CG between the main gear and the firewall?

My wings are complete, except for final riveting of the top skins. I have the wing locker option, but have not cut the skins at this time.

The idea of leaving the skins intact for reasons of strength, and exploring external cargo storage options is an attractive idea.

Patrick
XL/Corvair

planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers! Reply with quote

do not archive

I suppose that you could always put the lockers in the most outboard bay, hten the only question would be the effect of a very hard landing when the lockers were at capacity weight.

PatrickW <pwhoyt(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith-List message posted by: "PatrickW"

The idea of leaving the skins intact for Downey
Harleysville (SE) PA
100 HP Corvair
[quote][b]

planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Load in pod NOT same as wing lockers! Reply with quote

do not archive

...unless the failure mode is buckling...

leinad <leinad(at)hughes.net> wrote:
[quote]--> Zenith-List message posted by: "leinad"

Patrick,
I'm not an aeronautical engineer but part of my thinking on this issue was that the cut outs are mostly effecting the negative G strenght of wing since they are on top. I'm going with with the wing lockers.
Dan
[quote] Wouldn't the overall wing strength be compromised more by cutting the top skins for wing lockers than it would be if the top skins were left intact and 40 lbs were hung in the area someplace near the CG between the main gear and the firewall?

My wings are complete, except for final riveting of the top skins. Ready for the edge of your seat? [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: