Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polishing 6061: print shadow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planecrazydld(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Polishing 6061: print shadow? Reply with quote

The mill marks are printed with an easily dissolved ink - acetone or MEK will remove it. After removal there will be a very faint image but it should disappear if polished. What about putting the "water stained" surface out? I will still polish up and that way it will allow you to keep track on possible corrosion if it is more than staining...

messydeer <messydeer(at)yahoo.com> wrote:[quote] --> Zenith-List message posted by: "messydeer"

Hey!

I have some water stained aluminum on one side of a sheet and the other side looks just fine. I know the stain is just cosmetic and will scotchbrite it a fair amount before using it. The unblemished side happens to be the same side as the mill printing. Will this mill printing come out completely during the polishing proceedure, or will there be a feint shadow? If it Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
georgerace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Polishing 6061: print shadow? Reply with quote

I have had very good results removing the factory printing on 6061.

I do two things. First I use denatured alcohol to remove all of the printing ink. Next I use "Orange Glo" cleaner to remove any remaining stain. What I then see is that the "shine" where the ink was is brighter than the surrounding area. This I think is what you are calling a print shadow. A quick touch up with a scotch bright fine pad quickly makes the area all look alike.

Incidentally, the "Orange Glo" cleaner is petroleum based, and it does leave a slightly oily residue on the skin. Actually makes it look quite nice. Proper cleaning before painting will be necessary, as should always be done anyway.

The "Orange Glo" cleaner also works great at removing those hand and finger prints from the skin, where you have placed your sweaty palm or fingers. It usually shows up as a dull, slightly white area, after a few days or so.

Hope this helps.

George
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: