Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefly Landing speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Group,

I have installed a winter ASI as suggested by John H. and it appears to be accurate. It seems my Firefly settles on the runway at 40 indicated with no flaps. Does that sound right? Also my 447 is running with Egt's at 950* and cht's at 375*-400 * at 5700-5800 rpms. Does that sound good or do I need to have higher egts in order to reduce carbon?

Ed Diebel FF# 62
See what's free at http://www.aol.com. [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

I would like my cht to be about 50 degrees lower, and my egt about 100 - 150 degrees higher. If you have an adjustable pitch prop, taking out a bit of pitch ought to accomplish both.
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

ED
I would repitch your prop on that engine to 6250 RPM's WOT in flight I think your EGT might be able to stand to be in the range of 1100 to 1200 CHT should be around 300
this is how I like my 447 to be set up others might have different ideas but I posted this so you know how I run my engine
hope it helps you
stalls at 30 Mph in Fat Firestar but Clean with a 447

Ellery in Maine
do not archive

See what's free at http://www.aol.com. [quote][b]

beauford

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Ed:
Since you are asking, mine is propped at 6500 level WOT... egt's show 1080 to 1100 at cruise... 1180 to 1200 at closed throttle glide. Since mine was converted to the green-dot pistons over at the Lockwood Castle, the head temps hang around 370 to 375 at cruise.... that's a 5900 cruise... Mine indicates about the same VSO airspeed as yours...38, 39 or so... but with no static side hookup ...??? who really knows? I weigh 208 and I think around 40 is where it actually pays off (vortex generators and all) with my flabby fanny in the front end... I climb it at 60, glide it at 60, cruise it at 65 indicated. Based on your numbers, I agree with the others that you could likely stand to take a little pitch out of your prop...

Worth what ye paid fer it...

Beauford
FF076
Brandon, FL
[quote] ---

jimhefner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Beauford, I can't help but ask if you have a VSI in your FF? If so, what is your climb rate (fpm) and sink rate when you are climbing at 60 and gliding at 60? That seems faster than I remember.... I recall Vy was more like 45 and Vg was roughly the same... I played around with the Vg using the VSI to make sure I knew what the optimal glide speed was in case of an engine out and 45 was it.

I wanted to clarify this with you so other FF owners don't get confused about what Vy and Vg for the FF is.... I think you are just saying that is what you regularly do, you're not saying that is Vy or Vg.... right? I assume your climb rate at 60 is well below what it would be at Vy and your sink rate at 60 is well above what it would be at Vg.

It's been a while since I flew the FF so I might be remembering something wrong... if others see different numbers, please pitch-in. I did have VG's installed but they didn't seem to affect these numbers much... only stall speed.

Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
beauford

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Jim:
You are correct, sir.... and I do have a VSI in the Kleenex Kolb.... So
named because of the marked similarity of its unpowered ballistic
characteristics to that of a wadded-up Kleenex.... Vg and Vy work out to
around 48 indicated for mine.... but I tend to wantonly squander ergs and
altitude around the 3K ft strip from which I fly, fully confident that the
machine will instantly decelerate from 60 to any value from 48 to near zero
with a flick of the elevator wrist if the Nazi noise behind my head were to
stop unannounced.... and who knows...? that extra 3 seconds to stuff the
Kolbisch schnozz toward dirt may be the money-in-the-bank a bankrupt geezer
needs to keep that last check from bouncing... I know from experience that,
in this airplane, with my flabby 208 lb butt in the seat, one can turn
high-key base at 700 feet looking down at the numbers from a 45 degree
angle, and still land comfortably within the first one-third of the
strip....in a stabilized manner without exceeding 60 indicated, and without
gymnastics beyond a moderate forward slip.... Why voluntarily fly 10 or12
mph slower on the approach when your machine is capable of such delevitation
and deceleration?... I mean... you're already UP there, right....? You
already bought the gas, annoyed the neighbors and made the 700 foot
investment...

You must realize that I operate airplanes in somewhat of a time warp.... I
engage in what I laughingly refer to as "flying" encumbered with a somewhat
paranoid philosophy based upon an ancient instructional edict which held
that an erstwhile aviator should always strive to preserve the luxury of
being able to (1) have a moment of quiet "quality" time to recognize and
relish the stillness of unexpected unpowered flight and an opportunity to
gracefully (no negative g's...)establish a glide, preferably prior to the
spin entry; and (2) be able to deposit at least most of the spent carcass of
the machine, upright, somewhere within the premises of the airfield if the
worst should happen anywhere in the pattern from crosswind leg on around....
Somehow, the concept of taking a few luxurious seconds to SLOW to Vg, makes
more sense to me than spending a much larger number of infinitely more
earnest seconds with my Addidas lifted off the floor trying to wish my way
back UP toVg and still make the field if the bugger packs up....they are
tons more playful just above Vg than they are 5 knots below it....and I
just hate that whistling noise they make....

I have experimented and measured the FireFly numbers, and they are
approximately as you state them to be... Rest assured that should I find
myself pressed to stretch a deadstick glide to get over that last lane of
interstate highway to make the Home Depot parking lot, you will find 48 will
indeed be the number reflecting in my glassy, but wide, eyeballs.... And
if the Rotax brothers should abruptly have a falling out and quit holding
Austrian hands as I am coaxing the reluctant machine over that dreaded fifty
foot takeoff obstacle, 48 shall be the number, and the value of the number
shall be 48....not 47, nor 49, but 48 shall be the mark upon which the
needle in my forehead will be discovered to have been imbedded....

Long story short... I can make 48 or 50 happen on the 'ol ASI if
required.... and I do when I come and go from short, marginal places... But
I feel that this draggy, short-winged little airplane warrants a habitual
cushion when engaged in normal operations out of average size strips...call
it professional courtesy...that extra 10 or 12 mph can be dumped in a flash
if one needs it to be... and it is by the time I cross the fence on
landing... but it's scratched on the side of the big Aviation Rock someplace
that you cannot spend what you don't have....that 'ol energy ratchet only
turns in one direction when it is really quiet outside..... kinda like "gas
for mama when headed over the Hump during monsoon season..." (naw, I ain't
that old...just leave it alone, Possum...).

This is too long-winded... just call me a speed-freak and be done with
it....

Worth what ye paid fer it...

Beauford
FF076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

---

jimhefner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying Beauford... Smile I sure wish you were joining us at MV. You would be the life of the party I'm sure! Whatever works best for you is what you are comfortable with, so speed-freak it is! Very Happy
Thanks again. Cheers!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
beauford

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

I'm actually quite shy and pretty much partied out...

Hope this crazy weather squares away and permits everyone to make MV
safely.... Y'all enjoy yourselves...
Beauford
Do Not Archive
---

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Jim,

Don't mistake minimum reading on VSI for best glide angle speed.
Minimum reading on the VSI gives you the minimum sink speed which is
typically a lot slower than best glide angle speed. On light aircraft,
absent any better empirical data from actual testing, you can get
pretty close to the best glide angle speed by finding the speed that is
approximately 38% between the stall speed (Vs1) and max continuous
cruise speed (Vh). For example, if your Kolb stalls at 35 mph and its
Vh is 85 mph a good guess at best glide speed will be about 54 mph,
derived as follows.

Vh 85
- Vs1 35
----------
x .38
----------
= 19
+ Vs1 35
----------
= 54 Vbg approximately

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
jimhefner

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Thanks Thom, I haven't heard of that method before. Vh is not a number you see published often. I don't know what those numbers work out to in a Firefly (at std conditions) but I think it is not far from minimum sustained sink rate.... in the 45-50 range. The best glide number is typically very close to Vy (best rate of climb), which is an easier number to figure out for starters. When I did engine off glide practice I always carried a little over 45 on the ASI and was amazed how well the FF glided... much better than with the engine at 2000 rpm. Point is it ain't 60... it's 45-50 in a Firefly. Everyone should be familiar and experiment with these numbers in flight ... they might be important to you some day when it gets unexpectedly quiet .... Shocked

I'm looking forward to seeing the gang at MV soon!! I hope these crazy winds we've been having lately are all blown out by then! Today is gorgeous with very light wind.... time to go fly!

Jim ODay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

60 MPH --- That is great advice. (speaking from my novice experience anyway)

I have been “test flying” my FSII and have put on about 5 hours on it this week. I was concerned about a lot of things but one was speeds. The one I was most concerned was about the final approach speed especially after reading the story of Thom - a.k.a. - “Stalls too High”

60 right down to the flare and there is no problem slowing down with a flick of the wrist. Very good advice. I have followed this procedure to smooth wheel landings. A crop duster at the field commented that “had the handle on the bird” today.

I can say from what my experience has been so far is a wheel landing is the best. (I know I am a rookie) I would be hesitant to do the 60 mph approach and transition into a 3 point landing. I have flown approaches now at 2500, 3000 and 4000 RPM and this speed is fine. Keeping the 60 all the way down to the flare is a rush in more ways than one.

I have been flying for many years and have forgotten all about light plane flying. My regular ride is 6,500# and would not like to be flown the same way as the FS. I did some TW training this summer to tune up for flying the FS and that was EXTREMELY helpful (plus required for insurance).

Yep, I think I will stick with the 60 on final to the flare. I was flying tonight and sneezed, jerked the stick at the same time from 65 to 45. It really is a flick of the wrist. The thought of imprinting my forehead with the ASI needle at 40 came to mind.

phpmPOMu5PM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.93 KB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

phpmPOMu5PM.jpg

possums(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

At 10:20 PM 8/24/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

60 MPH --- That is great advice. (speaking from my novice experience anyway)

I have been “test flying” my FSII and have
put on about 5 hours on it this week. I have
flown approaches now at 2500, 3000 and 4000 RPM
and this speed is fine. Keeping the 60 all the
way down to the flare is a rush in more ways than one.

--------
Jim O'Day

You can get it down lower after you get used to short fields.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8022448200127542755

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
In my Firestar II , I approach at 50 which seems fairly fast...

40 is a little tricky.....and close to loosing elevator authority on mine.....

I'm going into a short field at tommorows Fly-in , I'm thinkin 45

My plane wants to glide and glide when I come in at 50 ( ground effect )

....I have to force in down so I can use the brakes to slow down....

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

PS Fly-in Aug 26 - Wannamingo - Cherry Grove

Jim ODay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

I am learning: when I get some calm air, I think I will try to slow the short final down.

I am OK at 60 for now, but it the ground does come at you in a hurry, I can get to 40 mph in about 2 seconds. Feel it down to the RW, touch down and stick it on. Seems to be working OK for me, this method with wheel landings.

Just got down from a nice 1 hour flight. I seemed to be getting tossed all over the place in thermals. If I stayed low, ~ 500 agl it was smoother, but 1000 agl was like a roller coaster.

First mid day flight - prior flying has been done early AM or late PM light. So I have not flown in any turbulence until today. I did think about rivets, pins, bolts, fabric ..... put my hand through the motion, ... kill switch .... BRS handle ... nothing seems to be falling apart ... calmed down and enjoyed the flying.

The pelicans were cruising at 500 agl and the hawks were at 1000' today. I guess pelicans favor smoother air.

I guess the technique to use is maintain the airspeed constant and let the moving air take me up and down. The ups and downs cancel each out .... Is that the Kolb way? Maybe some of you buzzards can comment.

And, the video link above. I saw this before and it blew the myth that when the motor quits, you are going strait down. Till I saw that, I thought there was some truth to what some had said that the Kolb cannot glide. Thanks for posting that again. (any idea of the glide speed?)

Got to mow grass now --- no more flying for me today. Sad

APilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

best glide is usually 1.3 times stall speed on most airplanes as is best
rate of climb, and 1.2 is very close to minimum sink speed.

APilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Before you get too set on an approach speed remember this: A headwind
will initiate a wind gradient. For example: a 20 mph headwind will
cause a wind gradient at about 12 feet, more or less. Therefore the
wind velocity will change from 20 mph to about 15 mph or less at 12
feet. Of course, with a 30 mph headwind the gradient will rise a little
and the difference in wind velocity will be more. What does a pilot do?
Most carry more airspeed so that they will not be stalled or near stall
speed when the descend through the gradient. Or, you can land like a
bird or a Navy pilot with a circle approach which takes you down through
through the gradient on base leg where you will not notice the hazard.

jb92563

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Firefly Landing speed Reply with quote

Best Glide is equal to making the most DISTANCE from your height

Minimum Sink is equal to making the most TIME aloft from your height
Best Glide:
It is 1.3 x stall speed plus 1/2 the head wind speed.

If you are flying down wind it is just 1.3 x stall.

You MUST factor in the head wind speed.

So 35 stall equals about 47 for maximum distance in calm air.
Headwind Best Glide:
If there is a headwind add half the windspeed as well.
(ie 15mph headwind adds ~7 so 47+7=54)
Tailwind Best glide:
Just fly between 47(1.3xstall) or even down to minimum sink speed and enjoy your nice Loooong glide.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: