Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountain4don

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on my 601 XL, and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts for the engine mounts on the firewall. These are the low temperature type with the plastic self-locking ring in them. I was wondering how they were holding up on the finished planes and if there was any trouble with them. Are they working loose at all? These are supposed to be limited to a 250 degree environment. And I am not sure the back of the engine won't produce heat in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High Temperature type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been pinched for the self locking feature? Or are people drilling the mounting bolts through the firewall and putting castle nuts and cotter pins through them to lock them on?
Don Mountain

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

gfmjr_20(at)HOTMAIL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

Don
I had the same concerns when Ifirst saw the design, however, I decided to go
with the specified nuts. Also checked the factory plane and that is what
they used.
I have 145 hours on my 601 and nothing has loosened up. The areas where
these nuts are used does not see much heat

George May
601XL 912s 145hrs
Quote:
Reply-To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
To: Zenith <zenith-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on my
601 XL, and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts for the
engine mounts on the firewall. These are the low temperature type with the
plastic self-locking ring in them. I was wondering how they were holding
up on the finished planes and if there was any trouble with them. Are they
working loose at all? These are supposed to be limited to a 250 degree
environment. And I am not sure the back of the engine won't produce heat
in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High
Temperature type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been
pinched for the self locking feature? Or are people drilling the mounting
bolts through the firewall and putting castle nuts and cotter pins through
them to lock them on?
Don Mountain
---------------------------------

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rstone4(at)hot.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

Don,
Why not just buy the required amount of all steel hot section lock nuts from Aircraft Spruce and use them. The cold section plastic nuts may do just as well but with all steel, you would have peace of mind.

Tracy Stone
Harker Heights, Tx
ZodiacXL w/Jabiru 3300
[quote] ---

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

The first bit of useful info would be the the lack of any discussion following the actual observation of a problem. So, it probably hasn't been an issue on any of the flying 601XLs so far.

Second, given the cylinder head temps and the necessity for the ambient under cowl temperature to be significantly less, the air temp under the cowl should not be higher than 250 F. If it does get to that temperature very often or for very long periods, we'll probably have trouble with the fiberglass long before the bolts get loose.

If it feels more secure to you the AN 363-624 high heat, all metal style of locknut would not be an expensive add-on.

Reversing the bolt head to the forward side and the nut to the cockpit side is another option but likely to be pointless due to the thermal conduction of the bolt itself.

Dred

---- Don Mountain <mountain4don(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on my 601 XL, and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts for the engine mounts on the firewall. These are the low temperature type with the plastic self-locking ring in them. I was wondering how they were holding up on the finished planes and if there was any trouble with them. Are they working loose at all? These are supposed to be limited to a 250 degree environment. And I am not sure the back of the engine won't produce heat in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High Temperature type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been pinched for the self locking feature? Or are people drilling the mounting bolts through the firewall and putting castle nuts and cotter pins through them to lock them on?

Don Mountain

---------------------------------

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

Don,
It's rather unlikely you'll see 225 degrees at the firewall mount bolts
unless you route your exhaust very near them. I used regular castle
nuts and drilled the bolts, but that leaves you with the necessity of
playing with washers to get the cotter hole to align at the torque you
want. I'd not recommend the pinched type castle nut because it will
damage the bolts in repeated removal and replacement. If you have
doubts with the low temp nuts, go with the standard castle type.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
Don Mountain wrote:
Quote:
I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on
my 601 XL, and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts
for the engine mounts on the firewall. These are the low temperature
type with the plastic self-locking ring in them. I was wondering how
they were holding up on the finished planes and if there was any
trouble with them. Are they working loose at all? These are supposed
to be limited to a 250 degree environment. And I am not sure the back
of the engine won't produce heat in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High
Temperature type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been
pinched for the self locking feature? Or are people drilling the
mounting bolts through the firewall and putting castle nuts and cotter
pins through them to lock them on?
Don Mountain

tonyplane(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts Reply with quote

I did not use the nylock nuts in the XL kit but instead used the hi-temp nuts supplied in the FWF kit from Jabiru USA. I torque-striped the nuts.

After checking the torque at 50 hrs, I have an annual requirement to check the torque on the nuts. I used 300 inch-lbs. I also check the torque whenever I remove the fwd top skin, which I installed to be removable.

As this area is probably subjected to cyclic loading, I would not recommend using castle nuts with cotter pins. I remember seeing pictures of a failure of one of the mount bolts a few years ago There was what appeared to be a lot of fretting corrosion in the area leading me to suspect loss of torque contributed to the failure.

Fair winds, VMC and CAVU to all

Tony Graziano
XL/Jab3300; N493TG; 280 hrs.
--------------
[b][i]Firewall Engine Mounting Nuts From: Don Mountain (mountain4don(at)yahoo.com ([email]mountain4don(at)yahoo.com?subject=Re:%20Firewall%20Engine%20Mounting%20Nuts&replyto=315099.3720.qm(at)web51310.mail.re2.yahoo.com[/email])) Date: [b]Tue Aug 28 - 7:41 PM[/b]
Quote:
Quote:
I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on my 601 XL,
and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts for the engine mounts
on the firewall. These are the low temperature type with the plastic self-locking
ring in them. I was wondering how they were holding up on the finished
planes and if there was any trouble with them. Are they working loose at
all? These are supposed to be limited to a 250 degree environment. And I am
not sure the back of the engine won't produce heat in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High Temperature
type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been pinched for the
self locking feature? Or are people drilling the mounting bolts through the firewall
and putting castle nuts and cotter pins through them to lock them on?
Don Mountain
[/i][/b] From: Don Mountain (mountain4don(at)yahoo.com ([email]mountain4don(at)yahoo.com?subject=Re:%20Firewall%20Engine%20Mounting%20Nuts&replyto=315099.3720.qm(at)web51310.mail.re2.yahoo.com[/email])) Date: [b]Tue Aug 28 - 7:41 PM[/b] [quote]
Quote:
I am working on the firewall and engine mounts through the firewall on my 601 XL,
and found the plans call for AN 365-624 Self Locking nuts for the engine mounts
on the firewall. These are the low temperature type with the plastic self-locking
ring in them. I was wondering how they were holding up on the finished
planes and if there was any trouble with them. Are they working loose at
all? These are supposed to be limited to a 250 degree environment. And I am
not sure the back of the engine won't produce heat in that range.

How many have switched these firewall engine mounting nuts to the High Temperature
type AN 363-624 that look like castle nuts that have been pinched for the
self locking feature? Or are people drilling the mounting bolts through the firewall
and putting castle nuts and cotter pins through them to lock them on?
Don Mountain
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: