Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 plugs up or down perf.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
river1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: 582 plugs up or down perf.? Reply with quote

Hi; I like to know if there's a difference in the performance of the 582 between having the engine set plugs up vs down, both short and long term?.Is one better than the other?. Thx.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 582 plugs up or down perf.? Reply with quote

This question is likely to be a hot potato.
Probably many different ideas.
Some of the items that may effect the out come would be types of oils, carb set ups, temps, ect...

Your better off running your engine up right if I understand the question right. Less chance to foul plugs over time, easier starting and better low end lubrication over time. This was researched and had been proved even back in the mid 1980's. Some people probably still run their engines upside down and that's what they like and will defend it, but I have worked on and seen the difference over the long haul and over many different models. The upside down engines run, but you ask which was better.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
river1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 582 plugs up or down perf.? Reply with quote

Roger; the aircraft is the Zenair ch 701.There are pans for the engine mount for R582 upside down I agree with you but wanted to hear what's the general knowledge in the difference between both set ups. In the 701 right side up will mean not only scratch building the mount but also solving a possible problem with trust line. It will require raising the engine to a point where the cowling will have to be cut to provide for the engine head to clear.Then fiberglass work to create a "bump" to cover the raised part of the engine. Having said all that I guess the question is if the difference (in engine performance)is worth the effort?.

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 582 plugs up or down perf.? Reply with quote

I had a CH701 several years ago with the 582 mounted inverted. The only problem I had in the short time I owned it, was that after sitting for a couple weeks, the plugs needed to be removed and cleaned before starting. This was due to unburned fuel settling in the bottom (the head). One way to mitigate this would be to turn off the fuel supply before shutting down the engine and run the engine until it quits. There will be no fuel left to settle into the head. The only problem I see with this "solution" is that if the two carburetors are not set up exactly the same (float level, mixture, etc) the fuel burn rate will be slightly different and one will run out before the other which would result in rough running for the last few seconds, which is hard on the gearbox. I didn't do this on mine. If it was hard starting after a couple weeks of sitting, I'd clean the plugs and be back in business.

On Challengers with inverted 503 engines, there are a lot of crank failures reported. See http://tinyurl.com/2r64ym

The 582 has a rotary valve for lubricating something (crank maybe?, not much else inside the case) but I'm not absolutely certain what. If it is lubricating the crank then the problems encountered with the inverted 503 engines in Challengers may not be an issue with the 582.

Bottom line is that it is preferable to run the engine with the heads up. But Chris Heinz is a very sharp engineer and I seriously doubt that he would even offer this combination unless he was certain that running the 582 inverted would not be a problem in terms of reliability.

I suggest you ask Zenith and Lockwood or other Rotax distributor about this to be certain.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: