Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand Vortex Generator Challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

I just got back fro the Kolb Homecoming. Richard Pike and John Hauck faced off for the Grand Vortex Generator Challenge. It was a draw!!!!!!!
As a bit of a background:
Richard Pike - He has a highly modified MKIII with the most VGs I have ever seen on one airplane with 582 Rotax. It is light, streamlined and clearly configured for slow flight.
John Hauck - His airplane MKIII is clearly built for a different mission. It is in comparison more than 100 lbs heaver than Richards airplane and has no VGs. I assumed that John would surely be eating crow.
They did three slow flight fly overs at app. 500ft. The winner would fly the slowest.
John H. clearly wanted to win. John was flying with full flaps and had the power on to maintain altitude in a mush. On the first pass John must have stalled ten times and lost some altitude at one point but held even with Richard. On the last two passes John had the routine down and only stalled a few times but was on the edge again holding even with Richard.
Richard was rock solid on all passes with not a hint of stall but not noticeably any slower. John said he saw Richard occasionally used flaps but it wasn't something we could see from the ground. It appeared Richard had a much easier time flying.
As a final observation: With the weight differences Richard should have won. The effort John put in to keeping slowed down with Richard would make up for the weight difference. I find it hard to believe but it would appear that the VGs didn't help a bit.
Will this settle the controversy? Don't think so.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Pretty good analysis, now let me fill in the gaps from my onboard perspective...

John and I taxied out, we had discussed it and I was supposed to take off first, he would join up with me, we turn final together at around 50 and then slow down to whatever. I got to the runup area and discovered I had no radio. (My bad, I had been using my noise canceling earbuds in conjunction with my headset, and discovered about half way home that the plug for the earbuds wasn't all the way in.) Sat in the runup area, fiddled with the cords and plugs for a while, decided the radio had died, and went ahead and took off.

First pass, I never did see John, had no idea where he was. The idea of flying a semi-formation with anybody that I can't talk to and can't see is not my idea of a smiley-face event, so my desire to fly as slow as possible was balanced by my desire to make real sure that I held my altitude exactly, and did not stall. (Emphasis on the "did not stall") I figured that if he could see me, and I didn't do anything but fly straight and level, no one would get hurt. Earlier Saturday, while I was passing over London, Ky, I tried a little slow flight flight just to brush up, and in perfectly smooth air, I could get the airspeed to read 22-23 before it stalled. Obviously not an accurate reading, but at least a reference number. During the pass down the runway, in somewhat bumpy air, I felt uncomfortable getting below 26 indicated, because I couldn't see my wingman, and if I stalled and got into him... There are no excuses for being dumb and hurting your buddies.

Second pass, I could see John, he was slightly ahead of me to my right and lower, it looked like our speeds matched, I was using about 5300 rpm and trying to hold 26 indicated. I noticed that as we got toward the east end of the runway, John was climbing, and I actually had to start a left turn to stay out of his way. I assumed that he had decided thrust was a good substitute for lift... (Great idea, wish I'd thought of it)

Third pass, once again, I never saw John, had no idea where he was, and once again, my goal was to fly as slow as possible without any possibility of a stall. Passing the end of the runway, I headed for home. I never used any flaps, my airplane is set up to have flaps at 1) a slight reflex, 2) in line with the ailerons, 3) slightly below the ailerons, 3) fifteen and 4) thirty degrees. They were aligned with the ailerons, I never touched them.

To claim that in perfect conditions I might have been able to fly slower begs the question. Anyone can do well in perfect conditions, I was simply outflown. I think it would be accurate to say that if you can fly as well as John, (Being able to manage slow flight while constantly stalling & recovering reflects excellent pilot abilities, my compliments on an great display of skill) while using full flaps and 100 HP to help hold you up, then you probably do not need VG's, (Which enable you to fly equally slow at partial power without stalling. Which I did, no stalls at all.) <grin>

But then there is 100 pounds difference between the airplanes, (Mine weighs about 550) so we are back to square one. Which is that both my MKIII and the FSII in the hangar next to me stall about 5 or 6 mph slower than they did w/o VG's, and handle much better just above the stall. And that John in Miss P'fer is motivated enough to outfly any VG modified Kolb around, and maybe good enough to pull it off.

Conclusion: Rick is right, the controversy is what we live for, and this surely will not settle it. The fun never ends...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Rick, Rev, Folks:

We all had a great time at the Kolb Homecoming, everyone from Homer Kolb right on down to the newest guy that was shopping and wishing for his very first Kolb. The weather could not have been better. Food was great, at no cost to the participants. The Kolb folks worked extremely hard to insure we all had an enjoyable, fun time. My thanks to Bruce Chesnut for keeping Kolb alive and well for all of us to keep on flying the best there is, Kolb aircraft.

Now for my side of the story. Wink

Richard asked me, just prior to his departure, if I still wanted to do the VG/regular guy flyoff. Sure! I was ready to do slow flight, short takeoff/landing, and climb. We could have also done slow speed maneuvering, but I forgot about that. Anyhow, we agreed to do the side by side slow flight contest. Spent about 10 seconds getting our act together. Richard was already cranked when I walked over to discuss it with him.

I was down at the west end of the strip warming up my engine when Richard taxied up with an inop radio. Would have been much better if we could have had comm in the air, but we didn't. I couldn't tell him I was not ready for take off when he took off ahead of me.

When my engine oil temp got up to 120F, I was ready to go. I caught up with Richard and got in on his right wing after he started his first slow flight run to the east. I admit, I did not get settled down until about midway down the strip and lost about 50 feet in the process. Horsepower had nothing to do with keeping my mkIII flying. I was turning 3000 rpm, using 40 degrees of flaps. It is more difficult flying off someone's wing, constantly looking at his aircraft, while trying to keep my mkIII as close to stall as I can. Once it nibbles over the edge, it is going to lose a little altitude, change pitch attitude, and require a lot of flying by the pilot to keep it airborne. When I got settled down, so did the mkIII, flying at 3000 rpm on the plus edge of the stall.

Richard was actually flying lead, which demands he trust my ability to fly off him. As a non-military pilot, he probably did not understand that and was concerned that I was going to prang him, or him me. That was not going to happen. I would hope that Richard had enough confidence in me to know I would not fly under him so he could hit me if he stalled.

The air was slightly turbulent which lent to better competition between Richard and I, since we were both flying in the same air. Since I thought Richard had shared with us that VGs made slow flight more comfortable, he would have felt that way and gotten his mkIII slowed down to max.

If we ever do this again, there should be two runs, with each aircraft flying lead and wingman.

Richard, you did not have to turn left to get out of my way on the end of the second run. I started a climb and right break at the east end of the strip because that run was complete. Again, had your radio been operational, I would have called out my climb and right break. However, I can assure you, you were never in any danger of me climbing any direction but straight out with a hard right break. I was flying right wing on Richard.

Richard says he never touched his flaps. I watched them deploy, momentarily approximately 20 degrees several times during each run. At the time I could not understand why he would pull them down and immediately retract them. I still don't. I started my run with 40 degrees of flaps each run. Probably should have flown with half flaps, 20 degrees, but that is history.

Richard claims his VGs allow him to fly slower. Guess if I had them, I could really fly slow.

I do not know how much difference in weight there is between Richard's and my mkIII's, but probably much more than 100 lbs. My aircraft weighed approximately 630 lbs in 1994 with a 912. I can assure you airplanes do not get lighter with age. I would guess nearer to 150 to 200 lbs more than Richard's. I went to a heavier 912ULS in 2000. Richard is flying with a 582. I don't know if he flies with a BRS or not. Only one way to find out, have a weigh off. hehehe

Anyhow, you all know how the weight of an adult passenger degrades the performance of a mkIII or any light airplane. Please take that into consideration when you think about this friendly competition. As far as settling the argument, I think I pretty much did that, between these two mkIII's, in front of the entire Kolb Homecoming. If nothing else, it convinced me, I don't need to change Homer's design to make my airplane fly better. Others may, and that is alright with me. Wink

All in all, I would call it a tie. At least Miss P'fer and I did not get whooped! That is Alabamian for beaten.

Take care,

john h
hauck's holler, alabama
mkIII 2724.7 hours
912ULS 156.2 hours

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Nice reply, I expected nothing less. I do find it interesting that you still think I pulled in 20 degrees of flaps several times on each run because I never touched them. I wonder what you saw?

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
[quote] ---

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Richard:

I believe I saw the same thing Rick Neilsen saw, the flaps droop momentarily. Then on the other hand, we both may have been hallucinating simultaneously. Wink

The only other explanation would be the flaps outboard and the ailerons inboard, with the right aileron drooping. Wink

john h
mkIII

[quote]
Nice reply, I expected nothing less. I do find it interesting that you still think I pulled in 20 degrees of flaps several times on each run because I never touched them. I wonder what you saw?

Richard Pike

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Earl Zimmerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Richard:

I believe I saw the same thing Rick Neilsen saw, the flaps droop
momentarily. Then on the other hand, we both may have been
hallucinating simultaneously. Wink

The only other explanation would be the flaps outboard and the ailerons
inboard, with the right aileron drooping. Wink

Or the right ailerons rising, thus the hallucination of the flaps being
lowered?? Smile ----- So It's not really about VG's but about who is a
better liar?? Starting to sound like a fishing/hunting story!
~ Earl

rowedenny(at)windstream.n

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

John H wrote
[quote]
I believe I saw the same thing Rick Neilsen saw, the flaps droop momentarily. Then on the other hand, we both may have been hallucinating simultaneously. Wink

The only other explanation would be the flaps outboard and the ailerons inboard, with the right aileron drooping. Wink

john h
mkIII

John,
Rick N ( did not) see Rev Pike deploy his flaps, I think you should reread his post. He stated that you saw this but those on the ground did not.
Anyway, glad you all had a good time and this gives us one more thing to debate until next year.

Denny Rowe
[b]

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

John & Richard

It was a draw. No one lost. Go to your corners and stay there.

I reread my post, I still didn't see any of Richards flaps

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

> Or the right ailerons rising, thus the hallucination of the flaps being
Quote:
lowered?? Smile ----- So It's not really about VG's but about who is a
better liar?? Starting to sound like a fishing/hunting story!
~ Earl

Earl:

Reckon I had the best seat in the house!

john h
mkIII

DO NOT ARCHIVE

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Hi Denny:

You are absolutely correct. I went back to my deleted file and reread Rick's msg.

Thanks for pointing out my obvious error.

john h
mkIII
[quote] Rick N ( did not) see Rev Pike deploy his flaps, I think you should reread his post. He stated that you saw this but those on the ground did not.

Denny Rowe
[b]

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

Thats amazing, not the outcome I would have expected. From my experience with VG's, I do have to put this one down to John's ability to fly a Kolb.

Sounds like everyone had a great time, wish I could have been there.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Lanny Fetterman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

If the wind is right I can fly backwards! : ) Lanny Fetterman N598 LF Do
not archive

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

From my experience with VG's, I do have to put this one down to John's
ability to fly a Kolb.
> Mike
Mike:

We always have a great time at the Kolb Homecoming, rain or shine, calm or
turbulent.

How much time did you put on your airplane before you put he VGs on?

There are people that make changes to Kolbs before they fly them,
or.........with very little flight time in them. I often wonder if they can
really make a good comparison, "before and after", in that situation? Do
they really know the capabilities of the Kolb in the stock configuration?

I know I looked sloppy trying to slow fly. I very seldom fly like that
except at touch down. That is the only time I need to get that close to the
stall. I think it did demonstrate the forgiving nature of Homer Kolb's
wing. Putting any other airplane in that situation would have probably put
them into an immediate full stall. The old mkIII just nibbled away and kept
on flying. I don't think my flying had much to do with the mkIII's
performance Sunday.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

I did expect that I would stir up some discussion from my post but I thought
that it would be around the VG issue. The challenge showed me a few things.
John is a great pilot which allowed him to fly his plane as slow as Richard
Pike in spite of the weight differences. What was significant to me was that
the claimed benefit of the VG just wasn't there.

The VGs must be doing something for so many people getting worked up over
them but after this test I would suspect that people are able to fly at a
higher angle of attack causing their air speed indicators to show slower
speeds than actual. This test seems to say the actual speed is the same.

We talked about this a Homecoming. There are a bunch of people that fly
without the gap seals between the wing and ( flaps and ailerons) and also
between the wings. They truly believe their changes are for the better but
have never experienced what it would be like if they followed the plans. I
had one of those guys land at my strip with no flap or aileron seals on his
582 powered MKIIIC. I watched in horror as he took off using every inch of
my down hill 1400 ft strip and barely cleared the power lines another 1/2
mile beyond.
If you make changes to Homer's design make sure you know what your doing. If
you like it great but make sure you truly test it before you shoot you mouth
off about how great it is to everyone.

Again VGs may help but it would appear it isn't slow flight.

Also we had a wonderful time at Homecoming. Flying around the airport with
NO other place to land surely increases the pucker factor. This Michigan boy
just aint used to not having a landing spot every 1/4 mile.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

I know I looked sloppy trying to slow fly. I very seldom fly like that
except at touch down. That is the only time I need to get that close to the
stall. I think it did demonstrate the forgiving nature of Homer Kolb's
wing. Putting any other airplane in that situation would have probably put
them into an immediate full stall. The old mkIII just nibbled away and kept
on flying. I don't think my flying had much to do with the mkIII's
performance Sunday.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Just for what it's worth,
When I first got my FS II, I did a fair bit of flying at minimum controllable airspeed just to get used to how it flies right on the edge. It really is very forgiving. When it does finally stall, there's a definite buffet, bump and then break but as long as I'm in coordinated flight, it just noses down straight ahead.
Falling leaf stalls are on par with planes that have dihedral in the wing and the ailerons even still kind of work.....

I don't really know how slow it'll go at MCA but it's really really slow. The only other planes I've flown that went that slow right below stall were my old quicksilver and also my trike with the single surface wing (and it had loads of washout of course).

I read somewhere that Kolb intentionally designed the wing with a low aspect ratio so it could be built without washout and still be very stable. I can sure vouch for that at least in my FS II.

I like the definite stall break, since it tells you right away you've exceeded the critical AOA and you need to correct it.

Even my titan is a little more of a handful in a falling leaf stall and it's a total sweetheart in terms of stability and handling. The FS II will just mush down with little bits of rudder and aileron as long as you want.....

LS

jimhefner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

It must be that Warp drive prop that lets John fly straight and level with 40 deg flaps at 3000 rpm.... Laughing John definitely don't need any VG's.... he has a magical setup now.

Thinking of taping some VG's on my 150 to see if I can tell any difference after flying it more than a year.... probably won't make much noticeable difference there....??

Fun reading.... I always enjoy a good VG debate.... Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

At 10:49 AM 10/2/07 -0400, you wrote:
Quote:

If you make changes to Homer's design make sure you know what your doing. If
you like it great but make sure you truly test it before you shoot you mouth
off about how great it is to everyone.

Again VGs may help but it would appear it isn't slow flight.

Rick,

If you have not tried VG's don't knock em.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

> If you have not tried VG's don't knock em.
Quote:

Jack B. Hart FF004

Jack H:

No one is knocking VG's. We simply did a comparative side by side test
between a mkIII that had them, and one that didn't. I might add the
aircraft had a lot of dissimilarities, weight, configuration, etc.

The results have already been discussed.

That is all the experience I have with them, although I did fly a FSII with
VG's for a very short flight with VG's installed. Forgot they were on there
until I landed and was asked if I tested them. Personally, flying an
unfamiliar aircraft, I could not tell any difference. However, it was not a
test or comparison of with or without.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

At 11:36 AM 10/2/07 -0500, you wrote:
Quote:

> If you have not tried VG's don't knock em.
>
> Jack B. Hart FF004

Jack H:

No one is knocking VG's. We simply did a comparative side by side test
between a mkIII that had them, and one that didn't. I might add the
aircraft had a lot of dissimilarities, weight, configuration, etc.

The results have already been discussed.

John,

Then what you are saying is that the dissimilarities made it an invalid
test. The only valid test is a before and after on your own aircraft.

If you are up to it, I will supply you with a set of VG's that can be
temporarily mounted with electricians tape. That way you can fly and record
your stall speed, land, tape on the VG's and the fly again to get your new
slower stall speed. When you find that your stall speed is reduced you can
pass them on to the next doubter.

How many dips are there in a Mark III wing?

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

Jim ODay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Vortex Generator Challenge Reply with quote

I still can't find what the heck Sea Foam is, but I can get a grasp on this topic.

If VG's reduce the stall speed on my little plane by 5 kts, that is huge. I do not have the flying skill of a "hawk" so I need every advantage. I have an envelope addressed to Harrison Design in my out mail-box for a set of them little plastic triangles.

It is getting cold here so I will not stir up a debate further with a pirep until next spring.

Anything to enhance slow flight is welcome to me. It is when slow and maneuvering (usually close to the ground) when bad things tend to happen.

So if $100 keeps the landing gear and my neck straight, it is cheap insurance enhancement to fly more.

Fly safe Kolb Buddies,

Jim
[I do have VG's on my C340 and would not fly the plane w/o them. They make the VMC issue "almost" go away and move Blue line down 20 kts to 100. Plus the plane can carry more w/em. I know that this is an entirely different scenario, but those little things do dramatically change the operation of this model.]

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: