Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lurker on the loose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Dresden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Kolb Folks, My name is Bob Dresden , and I've lurked for years.  Short story. Sometime in the mid 80's I pinned a picture of a Firestar to my bulletin board. I always said...Someday I'll have one. Life happens, it ain't been easy. Found this forum in the early days, been here since, but Someday. Met a few folks at MV as I passed through, Loved those airplanes...Someday. Well, it's Someday! I believe I've talked Lucien into selling his, and it's a nice machine (I Think). I'm a VN Vet, living off the gov, and I never thought this could happen. I feel like a kid at Christmas, watching it Snow like mad and thinking of the adventures ahead of me. I tell ya, God loves me, ( and you too). Now, the rest of the story. I have to tote this craft from Santa Fe, NM to Steamboat Springs, Co. Right up the backbone of America. High passes, wicked winds, roads ??? I plan to pull the wings and carry them on a pickup rack, stacked together, padded and shrink wrapped. Comments? I don't want to haul a lite wt. billboard down the road.  What I need to know is the total chord w/ailerons so as to modify the rack accordingly. I believe it's a 98 model Firestar II. I've already ordered a Chile Vest.

Bdres, in stormy Colo

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Bob Welcome to the Kolb Owners and Lurkers site  You sure picked a great plane, there well built as you probably know already and I am sure you will have many enjoyable years with it 
Blue skys to yea

and I will get a wing cord measurment for you as soon as I can if someone else doesnt get to the airport before I do and as great as the people here are Im sure someone else will be quicker  than I

Ellery in Maine, Firestar Gone Surprised(   Building MK3Xtra Surprised)

do not archive

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
The cord lenght is a Combination between the wing and the ailerons ( 61" ).... I don't think "that" is the number your looking for...

Your looking for the dimensions of the wing & Aileron....

My Wings are in the Garage....If you need the measurements...

I'll get them...

Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN
Quote:

[quote="Bob Dresden"] What I need to know is the total chord w/ailerons so as to modify the rack accordingly.

[b]

OK,
I'm Back with the dimensions..... ( attachment )
This should cover Everything that you need....( and more )

My wing and ailerons are "stock"........( except bracing )
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Firestar tied on trailer.JPG
 Description:
I think the best way to transport the plane.....is intact...??!!
 Filesize:  60.46 KB
 Viewed:  556 Time(s)

Firestar tied on trailer.JPG

Wing dementions - FSII.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  415.14 KB
 Viewed:  560 Time(s)

Wing dementions - FSII.jpg

Last edited by planecrazzzy on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Mike that is what he needs because he wants to haul them on top of one another on his truck rack and I dont think he would want to fold the ailerons under and stack em

Ellery

do not archive

See what's new [quote][b]

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Bob DAs you know by now, the Kolbers are a great bunch; VERY helpful and friendly. Welcome aboard, and good luck with your XC transporting. You can write a story for Kitplanes or some other magazine & make a few bucks. Take lots of pictures!
Russ Kinne
do not archive

On Oct 20, 2007, at 11:40 PM, Robert Dresden wrote:
[quote]Kolb Folks,  My name is Bob Dresden , and I've lurked for years.  Short story.  Sometime in the mid 80's I pinned a picture of a Firestar to my bulletin board.  I always said...Someday I'll have one.  Life happens, it ain't been easy.  Found this forum in the early days, been here since, but Someday.  Met a few folks at MV as I passed through, Loved those airplanes...Someday.  Well,  it's Someday!  I believe I've talked Lucien into selling his, and it's a nice machine  (I Think).  I'm a VN Vet, living off the gov, and I never thought this could happen.  I feel like a kid at Christmas, watching it Snow like mad and thinking of the adventures ahead of me.  I tell ya, God loves me,  ( and you too).  Now, the rest of the story.  I have to tote this craft from Santa Fe, NM to Steamboat Springs, Co.  Right up the backbone of America.  High passes, wicked winds, roads ???  I plan to pull the wings and carry them on a pickup rack, stacked together, padded and shrink wrapped.  Comments?  I don't want to haul a lite wt. billboard down the road.  What I need to know is the total chord w/ailerons so as to modify the rack accordingly.  I believe it's a 98 model Firestar II. I've already ordered a Chile Vest. 

Bdres,   in stormy Colo

do not archive
Quote:
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

What I need to know is the total chord w/ailerons so as to
Quote:
modify
the rack accordingly.

I believe the http://www.tnkolbaircraft.com/ Site says that it is 64
inches, however mine measures 66 inches. Good luck.
Larry C

Bob Dresden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Kolbers, Many thanks to the replies on wing size. The info is just what I need. I'm still debating whether to pull the wings, it's set up to go down the road backwards. My concern is crosswinds and truck turbulence at 100+mph going down the road. All mountainous 2 lane w/limited shoulders. Skinny suckers. Now I'm curious as to how well they follow. Is there experience on the list with carting an open trailer in the wind? Appreciate all comments. And, by the way, this list is GREAT! Just reading about my favorite airplane has gotten me through some rough times. I always knew I'd have one someday. Never let go of your dream!

Bob Dresden

do not archive

On 10/20/07, Robert Dresden <bdres(at)zirkel.us (bdres(at)zirkel.us)> wrote:[quote] Kolb Folks, My name is Bob Dresden , and I've lurked for years.
do not archive
[b]

gaman(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help you but here goes.have it shrink wrapped at a marina where they do pontoon boats.Saw it done on a n-3 pup that came from Mass. to Fla. on a open flat trailer,and it was clean and dry as well.

Robert Dresden <bdres(at)zirkel.us> wrote:[quote] Kolbers, Many thanks to the replies on wing size. The info is just what I need. I'm still debating whether to pull the wings, it's set up to go down the road backwards. My concern is crosswinds and truck turbulence at 100+mph going down the road. All mountainous 2 lane w/limited shoulders. Skinny suckers. Now I'm curious as to how well they follow. Is there experience on the list with carting an open trailer in the wind? Appreciate all comments. And, by the way, this list is GREAT! Just reading about my [quote][b]

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Bob, In the last two years I have hauled five aircraft cross county. None of the trips, with the exception of the last were less than a thousand miles.
The Kolb Mk III came home in a closed truck with wings attached. This was by far the most successful of the trips. I had the main gear contained so the aircraft would not move and the boom resting on a support so that the tail wheel was off the tuck bed. I realize that this is probably beyond what you want to spend for transport, but it is BY FAR the safest. When we unloaded and set it up, there was not a scratch on it.
The Firestar came home on an open trailer. It was nerve wracking and I nearly lost it twice when tie downs failed. No fun. The wings were attached and the tail wheel was padded. There was damage to the aileron and elevator caused when pads were blown out. Not bad, but the aircraft was not flyable when I unloaded it.
The Minimax came home on an open trailer with the wings loaded flat, there was minor damage to the paint and the corner of one wing tip was worn a bit. Otherwise no damage, but once again it was a nerve wracking trip.
The Trike cam home on an open trailer, but the wing was in a piece of 15" irrigation pipe and the carriage was padded with 1" foam pads and wrapped with tarps. This trip was almost 2,000 miles, and except for the trip across the continental divide on I-80 with its washboard concrete and high winds relatively uneventful.
The last was a Challenger II with the wings detached in carpet strip slings. Less than 20 miles before an 18 wheeler passed upwind and the turbulence ripped apart one wing stand and sent a wing flying. Talk about your Oh, **** (fill in your favorite four letter word here) experience. Fortunately CII wings are very light and the damage was relatively minor. Even so it was an all afternoon effort to get the airplane back home and no fun at all.
So, my recommendation is get a closed trailer. Fold the wings in as the Kolb was designed. Suspend the boom in a very well padded cradle to take the load off the tail wheel. Remove the prop. Deflate the main gear tires to about 5 or 6 PSI and contain them fore and aft. Pad anything that touches anything else.
From another llife when I was the youngest engineer with the least attachment and got sent to the Yellow Freight packaging lab in KC to film how the company product would fare in shipping, A tar strip is a 6G shock load on a conventionally suspended truck trailer. Do that enough and something is going to give, don't let it be your aircraft.

Rick
On 10/22/07, Robert Dresden <bdres(at)zirkel.us (bdres(at)zirkel.us)> wrote:[quote] Kolbers, Many thanks to the replies on wing size. The info is just what I need. I'm still debating whether to pull the wings, it's set up to go down the road backwards. My concern is crosswinds and truck turbulence at 100+mph going down the road. All mountainous 2 lane w/limited shoulders. Skinny suckers. Now I'm curious as to how well they follow. Is there experience on the list with carting an open trailer in the wind? Appreciate all comments. And, by the way, this list is GREAT! Just reading about my favorite airplane has gotten me through some rough times. I always knew I'd have one someday. Never let go of your dream!

Bob Dresden

do not archive

On 10/20/07, Robert Dresden < bdres(at)zirkel.us (bdres(at)zirkel.us)> wrote:[quote] Kolb Folks, My name is Bob Dresden , and I've lurked for years.
do not archive
[b] http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List http://forums.matronics.com [quote][b]

cstonex(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Robert, when I was talking to him about this Kolb, he told me he had a transport trailer for it and that it pulled fine from El Paso. I would use the trailer and not worry about it. It should be fine. I was going to us it to bring it to Iowa after flying around Las Cruses for a while.
Good luck. I'm still trying to get my first one too.

LEBTF
Chuck

[quote] Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:47:32 -0600
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Lurker on the loose

Kolbers, Many thanks to the replies on wing size. The info is just what I need. I'm still debating whether to pull the wings, it's set up to go down the road backwards. My concern is crosswinds and truck turbulence at 100+mph going down the road. All mountainous 2 lane w/limited shoulders. Skinny suckers. Now I'm curious as to how well they follow. Is there experience on the list with carting an open trailer in the wind? Appreciate all comments. And, by the way, this list is GREAT! Just reading about my favorite airplane has gotten me through some rough times. I always knew I'd have one someday. Never let go of your dream!

Bob Dresden

do not archive

On 10/20/07, Robert Dresden <bdres(at)zirkel.us (bdres(at)zirkel.us)> wrote:
Quote:
Kolb Folks,  My name is Bob Dresden , and I've lurked for years.
do not archive

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
p://forums.matronics.com

[b]

jb92563

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Carefull with shrink wrap....if things shrink too much things will break.

I had a collapsed rib just from the Poly-Fiber shrinking to much.

Also here is another important note!

Trailers flex over their length so be careful not to secure the thing down so rigidly that is does not allow for trailer flexing.

I have heard of people having problems when the flexing of the trailer bent parts of the plane that were so secured over their length that the airframe HAD to bend with the trailer as well.

Also, when towing, be careful not to exceed the red-line of the aircraft if on an open trailer.....you could get flutter and things flap them self to pieces real fast!

My 1800 mile trip had me driving under 70mph in Montana due to a 30mph headwind with gusts to 40.

Ray

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Pictures...

I can Haul Azz with the plane on the trailer this way.....

Like a fish headed up stream.

and the way the trailer and "arm" are set up....it's a gentle ride
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

loading Firestar.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.9 KB
 Viewed:  498 Time(s)

loading Firestar.JPG

Loading pictures2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.42 KB
 Viewed:  477 Time(s)

Loading pictures2.JPG

Firestar 22ft -Trailer 10ft.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.58 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

Firestar 22ft -Trailer 10ft.JPG

gaman(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

I anchor my Firestar in three places.Straps over the tires and a strap over the boom tube at the support.Long trips I nail two short 2x4 next to the tires so they cant slide side to side.1100 miles to Fla and back for 4 years.No damage ever.

jb92563 <jb92563(at)yahoo.com> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "jb92563"

Carefull with shrink wrap....if things shrink too much things will break.

I had a collapsed rib just from the Poly-Fiber shrinking to much.

Also here is another important note!

Trailers flex over their length so be careful not to secure the thing down so rigidly that is does not allow for trailer flexing.

I have heard of people having problems when the flexing of the trailer bent parts of the plane that were so secured over their length that the airframe HAD to bend [quote][b]

jb92563

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Mike,

Thats a great setup you have made for hauling your Kolb.

I'll be making something similar out of my spare single Seadoo trailer.

Secured at the tires and supported along the boom with a bracket and straps is ideal.....Headfirst of course!

Nice!

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Bob-- Two years ago I bought a Kolb MKIII and hauled it xc from Northern Wisconsin to Eastern PA. I rented an enclosed U-Haul. Took the wings off and slung them from the roof with 18" pieces of carpet/foam/and safety straps. Fuselage went in nose first with a boom support to keep all of the weight off the tail wheel. Wheels were chocked front and back to keep them from rolling.

I stopped and every hour and a half to check on things.

Got to PA with absolutely NO damage or hanger (truck) rash. I have some pics that I would be happy to send to you. tohara(at)alphagraphics.com

Good luck
Light winds and soft landings-- Tom

kolbmark3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Lurker on the loose Reply with quote

Tom,

Did you use an enclosed trailer or a truck? What size and about how much did
it cost for the trip?

I would appreciate any info as I may need to move my Mark III from NC to MI
next month.

Jim Mark III
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: