Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

601XL Fuel System Ponderings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwhitlow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: 601XL Fuel System Ponderings Reply with quote

Ok , I've got the all of the tail, control surfaces, flap and wings built, and I'm currently working on the aft fuselage. I always like to think about things down the road and this one has me second guessing myself.

I plan to install a Jabiru 3300 and when I built the wings I put a Facet fuel pump in each wing between NR 2 and 3. I can inspect the pump and the fuel lines via the access hole shown on the plans. R&R is possible without opening up the LE but it would not be a lot of fun. A few issues have popped to mind

1. By the time I get this 700+ pounds of aluminum in the air, the fuel lines (rubber from the kit) installed in the wings will be 4 years old. Should I consider something else??? Maybe Braided Steel like on a higher performance auto engine??? I should note I have not final riveted the LE skin yet, so access would be easy right now. I plan to fill the tanks with fuel and run the pumps before I rivet the LE to check for leaks and to verify good operation of the Facet pumps.

2. I plan to put a inline filter on each tank on the inside of the cabin just after the a fitting in the skin coming from the tank. Makes for easy inspection and replacement as necessary. Good Idea??? Bad Idea???

3. What is the shelf life of the fuel line that comes with the kit??? How long does it last in service???? I an planning to use metal lines in the cabin, so the only rubber lines are in the wing right now.

4. I really don't like the gascolator poking through the floor of the cabin. I've seen pics of other's mounting it on the firewall with only the QD valve exposed. Thoughts????

Thats enough for now But my next question involves eliminating all steam gauges and only installing a Dynon EMS and EFIS but thats a whole 'nother bag of worms Shocked

Thanks

Larry Whitlow
601XL in Indiana

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: 601XL Fuel System Ponderings Reply with quote

1. The Facet pumps need to be connected with some kind of flexible line due to vibration issues. The same is true of the connection between the firewall and engine. The neoprene lines will eventually have to be replaced, so make sure they are accessible. Braided steel lines are probably overkill for use inside the wings. Braided steel may help protect the lines from the heat in the engine compartment, but so will putting fire-sleeve over the rubber lines for a lot less money.
2. I would put the filter downstream from the gascolator so any water in the lines will end up in the gascolator bowl instead of the filter. Putting the filters downstream from the pumps is a good idea, it will reduce the likelihood of vapor lock. 
4. the fuel lines should slope downhill all the way to the gascolator and then uphill to the engine. That way any water in the lines will naturally tend to drain into the bowl and not get trapped in the lines. As long as the gascolator is at the lowest point in the fuel system, you should be OK.
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: "lwhitlow" <ldwhitlow(at)comcast.net (ldwhitlow(at)comcast.net)>
I plan to install a Jabiru 3300 and when I built the wings I put a Facet fuel pump in each wing between NR 2 and 3. I can inspect the pump and the fuel lines via the access hole shown on the plans. R&R is possible without opening up the LE but it would not be a lot of fun. A few issues have popped to mind
1. By the time I get this 700+ pounds of aluminum in the air, the fuel lines (rubber from the kit)  installed in the wings will be 4 years old. Should I consider something else??? Maybe  Braided Steel like on a higher performance auto engine???   I should note I have not final riveted the LE skin yet, so access would be easy right now. I plan to fill the tanks with fuel and run the pumps before I rivet the LE to check for leaks and to verify good operation of the Facet pumps.
2. I plan to put a inline filter on each tank on the inside of the cabin just after the a fitting in the skin coming from the tank. Makes for easy inspection and replacement as necessary. Good Idea???  Bad Idea??? 
3. What is the shelf life of the fuel line that comes with the kit???  How long does it last in service????  I an planning to use metal lines in the cabin, so the only rubber lines are in the wing right now.
4. I really don't like the gascolator poking through the floor of the cabin. I've seen pics of other's mounting it on the firewall with only the QD valve exposed. Thoughts????

-- 
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL, 
RAM Subaru, Stratus redrive.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

do not archive.
steveadams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 601XL Fuel System Ponderings Reply with quote

The 640 and the CH2000 spec the same type hose. For the CH2000, they give a 5 year life limit on the hoses. In my 640 I changed everything from the tanks to the firewall to aluminum lines. Fairly easy, cheap, and no life limit. I really didn't want to mess with having to change out the hoses every 5 years. I would be surprised if vibration from a well secured fuel pump is significant enough to require flexible hose, but I really don't know.

PatrickW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 601XL Fuel System Ponderings Reply with quote

The "5 years" refers to the life of the stock rubber hoses, right?

Anybody know the lifetime of the braided steel hose..?

Patrick
XL/Corvair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: