Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deglass1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop Reply with quote

Mornin' all -
I was trial-rigging the cables last night in preparation for installing the Trio autopilot servos and found that the upper elevator cable just barely rubs against the bottom of the flanged hole in the seat back, maybe deflected 1/4" from straight. Re-checking the position of the fairleads just aft of the seat back found everything per the drawings, and the cable runs through the upper elevator fairlead hole as drawn. Looking at a few builders' web sites, I don't see this condition. By the way, the arm length of the control stick is 120 mm from pivot to cable hole.
Has anyone else seen this, and installed another piece of fairlead material onto the seat back hole to prevent metal contact?

Our fuselage airframe is complete (except the #*(at)x% canopy is only clecoed to frames and tubes), and we're trucking it to Shelbyville next week as the demonstrator for the Jab 3300A installation workshop.

Thanks -
David Glass

XL/3300A
N253DG about to get its engine
Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

On the gear, ready for tail and cables 12/06
cookwithgas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop Reply with quote

David:

I have had to relocate nearly all of the fairleads behind the cockpit area. If you haven't installed the fairleads for your ailerons, don't rivet them in place until you run the cables and test them. Drill the hole in the aluminum large so you can move the fairlead to achieve clearance, then drill and rivet.

This is something Zenith has been "tweaking" for some time since my drawings are from 2002, there have been many changes on cable routing to make sure they clear all obstacles. Attached is a picture of my rudder and elevator fairlead locations.

Good luck,

Scott Laughlin
Omaha, Nebraska
www.cooknwithgas.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Cables.JPG
 Description:
Ruder and elevator cables
 Filesize:  148.98 KB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)

Cables.JPG

ashontz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop Reply with quote

I like it, teflon blocks for the cables. Not sure if that's specified in the plans without looking at them, but it's a nice setup.

do not archive

cookwithgas wrote:
David:

I have had to relocate nearly all of the fairleads behind the cockpit area. If you haven't installed the fairleads for your ailerons, don't rivet them in place until you run the cables and test them. Drill the hole in the aluminum large so you can move the fairlead to achieve clearance, then drill and rivet.

This is something Zenith has been "tweaking" for some time since my drawings are from 2002, there have been many changes on cable routing to make sure they clear all obstacles. Attached is a picture of my rudder and elevator fairlead locations.

Good luck,

Scott Laughlin
Omaha, Nebraska
www.cooknwithgas.com

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop Reply with quote

David,

My advice is the same as Scott's. The fairlead locations should not be considered as fixed in concrete. It sounds like a little movement of the fairlead on the rear frame is all you need. My upper elevator fairlead also contacted somewhere in the seatback, I forget where, so I moved the fairlead a bit to eliminate the interference. I will be at the Jabiru seminar and look forward to seeing you there.

Good luck,

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Elevator cable rubbing, and Jabiru workshop Reply with quote

I had to monkey around a bit with one of my elevator fairleads too.... don't recall which onebut I think it was the bottom (up elevator) cable. Haven't donethe aileron fairleads yet but I have drilled a #30 size hole where the plans indicted as a starting point.

I'll be at the seminar too.... trying to avoid mistakes.

Dred

---- DaveG601XL <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com> wrote:
Quote:

David,

My advice is the same as Scott's. The fairlead locations should not be considered as fixed in concrete. It sounds like a little movement of the fairlead on the rear frame is all you need. My upper elevator fairlead also contacted somewhere in the seatback, I forget where, so I moved the fairlead a bit to eliminate the interference. I will be at the Jabiru seminar and look forward to seeing you there.

Good luck,

--------
David Gallagher
601 XL, tail and wings completed,
fueslage almost done, engine next.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: