Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacuum Pump Repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrerg(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Vacuum Pump Repair Reply with quote

I was ready to replace the failed vacuum pump (210 hours) in my RV6 this week.

But my friend, Rob Kermanj (RV10 and RV6), suggested that I check the operation of the shear coupling in the pump.

I found out that the shear coupling had sheared and replaced it for about $22 (I was later told that Aircraft Spruce sells it for $14).

It's very easy to replace this part in the pump. The fun part is removing and installing the pump.

The shear coupling is made from some type of plastic that deteriorates with high temperature and time.

I plan to replace this part every couple of years or 200 hours as a preventive measure in the future.
--
Gabe A Ferrer
RV6 N2GX
South Florida
email: ferrerg(at)comcast.net
cell: 561 758 8894
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Vanremog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Vacuum Pump Repair Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/10/2007 9:44:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ferrerg(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:

But my friend, Rob Kermanj (RV10 and RV6), suggested that I check the operation of the shear coupling in the pump.

I found out that the shear coupling had sheared and replaced it for about $22 (I was later told that Aircraft Spruce sells it for $14).

It's very easy to replace this part in the pump. The fun part is removing and installing the pump.

The shear coupling is made from some type of plastic that deteriorates with high temperature and time.

I plan to replace this part every couple of years or 200 hours as a preventive measure in the future.

========================

Just a stupid question, but... maybe it sheared for a reason?  I would check to see if the vanes are in good condition and not partially fragged.

N1GV (RV-6A, Flying 870hrs, O-360-A1A, C/S, Silicon Valley)

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Vacuum Pump Repair Reply with quote

Vanremog(at)aol.com (Vanremog(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
In a message dated 11/10/2007 9:44:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ferrerg(at)comcast.net (ferrerg(at)comcast.net) writes:
Quote:

snip
Quote:

Just a stupid question, but... maybe it sheared for a reason? I would check to see if the vanes are in good condition and not partially fragged.
210 hours is not very much time on a vac pump. I think their overhaul/replacement time is given as around 500 hours. However, having said that, and having a couple of different couplers shear, my advice is to order a couple of spares if you're not going to open up the pump and look. None of my failure causes were were hard to find. The hardest part of fixing the problem is getting the (at)#$% pump off/on the engine.
Linn
do not archive
[quote]

N1GV (RV-6A, Flying 870hrs, O-360-A1A, C/S, Silicon Valley)

Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: