Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xtra Information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck(at)mcculloughassoci

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Hello all,
My name is Chuck and I’m new to the list. Thanks to David Keys, who took me for a ride in his Xtra this weekend, I’m interested in finding a used Xtra. But, before I get ahead of myself, I need some honest feedback from all of you on the suitability of this plane for my purpose.

I can smooth out a good grass runway on my property. Depending on the arrangement, it can be as long as 700’. There is a fence at the end, but no tall obstacles. The surrounding area is rural with a lot of options. The approach to land would be over trees, though (the wind is S 90% of the time).

My goal is to find a good STOL plane that both myself and a passenger (lets say 350lbs combined) can take off and safely and routinely on that strip. The nearest “real”airport is about a 30 minute drive and we could use it for any extra heavy or extra hot days. This is in north Texas, so flying season can be pretty hot, but we almost always will have a headwind to take off into. I need to park the plane in my barn, which would require folding and unfolding the wings each time.

I searched the archives and found several comments on routine folding, so I think I’m OK on that. What I really need to hear from all y’all is your opinion on the T/O & landing distances that you experience in your airplanes in the real world. TNK says 150’solo/200’dual, but they also say you can build one in 400 hours ;>. I would also love to hear your opinions on engine/prop combos for safe STOL operations (that inflight adjustable IVO looked interesting).

So, before I start travelling around the country looking at used ones, I need opinions!

Also, anyone know of a good used Xtra for sale?

Thanks,
Chuck
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jlsk1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Chuck, with an approach over trees, 700 feet of ground to use, & a fence at the end, Unless you have exceptional piloting skills, you might want to join a Helicopter forum, (smiles). kolbs are some of the best stol aircraft, but dang, that`s short. Jim
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Chuck, I have a MKIII Classic with a 582, and fly from a 700' strip. 2 caveats: I take off downhill and land uphill on a slight slope. The approach to land is over some giant TVA powerlines, but they are about 1200' from touchdown. I do need to lose 300' in 1200' to get it down after crossing the powerlines, or else fly a close base leg inside the lines and slam dunk the final. Taking off heavy on a hot day and clearing the powerlines usually works well, occasionally I need to turn and parallel the wires until I gain more altitude, but that is not a problem.

The MKIII & 582 is sufficient for two people in this situation. If the airstrip was perfectly flat, hot day and no headwind, I would not be comfortable flying heavy. Not that the airplane wouldn't do it, but I would not be comfortable. (And I try not to do things that I am not comfortable with. Bad for the blood pressure...)

Something that is uncertain from your post is how far away the trees are - If they are right at the edge of your property and cannot be cut down - give it up. If they are several hundred yards away, no problem.

Hope this helps.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
[quote] ---

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
rowedenny(at)windstream.n

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

[quote]

I would also love to hear your opinions on engine/prop combos for safe STOL operations (that inflight adjustable IVO looked interesting).

So, before I start travelling around the country looking at used ones, I need opinions!

Also, anyone know of a good used Xtra for sale?

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:

Chuck,
For the best Stol performance as well as reliability you want a Rotax 912 for power. The speed range of Kolbs makes inflight adjustable props impracticle.While the IVO seems to work decent on smaller two strokes, for the 912 I would go with a tapered tip Warp Drive prop or maybe a Powerfin.Both of those are way higher quality than an IVO. Warp props are hands down the toughest.Good luck and be sure to check Barnstormers.com.Denny RoweMk-3, 2SI 690L-70, Powerfin
[b]

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Hey Chuck, I may have one for you. Is 3hrs. used enough. 912 ul with 250 to 280 hrs. Owner said 250 Lockwood Aviation said 280. They disassembled , inspected and reassembled it before I purchased it. 70" 3 blade Warp. Full Lotus also available, with rudders , no rigging need some minor work. GOT LAKE?
I'm on the FAA list for ELSA airworthiness Inspection in my state, Me., waiting.
Ellery may punish me for selling before I learn to fly it.
He has flown it during it's brief life as a registered UL trainer.
He now has his own Xtra kit, he's a builder not a buyer.

Contact me off list if you'd like.
vicsvinyl(at)verizon.net (vicsvinyl(at)verizon.net)

Vic
[quote][b]

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

"Chuck McCullough" asked: << ... you experience in your airplanes in
the real world. TNK says 150'solo/200'dual, but they also say you can
build one in 400 hours. Thanks, Chuck >>

Chuck -

Although I built and fly a Mark-III "Classic," see if you think my
real-world experience help:

It took me 540 hours to build mine. However, this included a few mods
beyond the stock airplane, such as a fold-down instrument panel and
wingtip hand-holds.

At a field elevation of 6500' msl, my Kolb is off the ground in less
than 300 feet, solo. And this is usually at density altitudes
approaching 8000' as it is often quite hot here. The 912 is an ideal
match for the Mark-III.

I was amazed at the improved takeoff performance (shorter takeoff
distance) I experienced while flying in the "lowlands" of Monument
Valley with the group last May! (elev. 5100')

I'm sure your takeoff distances would be shorter in Texas.

Dennis Kirby
Cedar Crest, NM
p.s. - who is "Ally'all?"
do not archive

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Vic
are you nuts ? you keep that plane ! You just finished it ,I will get you going in it as soon as you have the airworthyness slip on it,
Hey Guys Vic has lost his mind dont pay attention to him I hope its just a temporary thing he has been tipping the bottle a bit to much lately

Ellery
do not archive

[quote][b]

rlaird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Here in SE Texas, with a 912S on a MkIIIC, I take off in about 200 feet, solo, if I use my flaps... clean, it's about 400 feet (but I'm not really trying too hard). Ascent rate in the summer is as much as 1400 fpm if I try hard... on my typical "no sweat" take off, it'll be 1000 fpm. Either is like an elevator ride.

While I could routinely operate out of the 700 foot strip described, I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless the pilot had at least 100 hours in the MkIII. Too many things to go wrong in too little space; power, flaps and ungodly ascent rates only get you so far.

-- Robert

P.S. When I first moved in to my airport home, my neighbor came out to watch my take off, with a portable aviation radio in his hand to talk to me... he flys a Cessna.... he was standing next to my wife and, later, she told me he said "Holy sh--!" when I took off, and then, a moment later, to me over the radio he says, "Is that all ya got?" (He hadn't broadcasted his first comment!) Smile
On 11/8/07, Kirby Dennis Contr MDA/AL <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil (Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil)> wrote:[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Kirby Dennis Contr MDA/AL" <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil (Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil)>

"Chuck McCullough" asked: << ... you experience in your airplanes in
the real world. TNK says 150'solo/200'dual, but they also say you can
build one in 400 hours. Thanks, Chuck >>

Chuck -

Although I built and fly a Mark-III "Classic," see if you think my
real-world experience help:

It took me 540 hours to build mine. However, this included a few mods
beyond the stock airplane, such as a fold-down instrument panel and
wingtip hand-holds.

At a field elevation of 6500' msl, my Kolb is off the ground in less
than 300 feet, solo. And this is usually at density altitudes
approaching 8000' as it is often quite hot here. The 912 is an ideal
match for the Mark-III.

I was amazed at the improved takeoff performance (shorter takeoff
distance) I experienced while flying in the "lowlands" of Monument
Valley with the group last May! (elev. 5100')

I'm sure your takeoff distances would be shorter in Texas.

Dennis Kirby [quote][b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
chuck(at)mcculloughassoci

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments!

Even though I have a lot of GA time, I will definitely be trailering my plane to a longer strip until I can fly it expertly. My take away from all your comments is that I’ve got plenty of length for ground roll. So, if I can do something about those pesky trees… I actually found a place where I won’t have any approach or departure obstacles and 700’ and oriented correctly for winds. I’ll just have to do some dirtwork. No problem.

So, I’m in the market for an Xtra 912 or 912S or no engine at all. My though is that the 912S isn’t much more expensive than the 912 and you get 20hp more.

Vic – you really ought to keep your plane at least until you have 40hrs on it. Then if you still want to sell, shoot me a note.

Thanks,
Chuck
[quote][b]

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Well Ellery is partially right I've been losing my mind gradually for years.
But as for tipping the bottle, mine is so big it tips me.

Vic
do not archive
[quote][b]

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Chuck, I just want to comment on the Ivo in flight adjustable prop. It
depends on the engine you use. For the two strokes, according to Rotax
documents, the prop has to be adjusted so that the engine reaches full
RPM in level flight. If you set the prop to do that your engine will
perform properly. If you don't, it it will exhibit either high EGT
when operated with too little pitch, or high CHT if operated with too
much pitch.
Generally, when thinking of controllable pitch, it's assumed the prop
is set for proper climb performance and then pitch is increased for
better cruise performance. As I found out the hard way when setting up
a new Warp Drive prop on a 582, just 2 degrees of pitch separate an
engine that performs properly from one that will not rev past 4500
RPM. I didn't fly it much, just enough to get it around the pattern
and back on the ground, and it was a very low pattern at that, but I
didn't see any tendency for the engine to pick up RPM during the brief
time I was in level flight. Perhaps the response of the engine would
be different if it were started at the peak of the power curve and
pitch was increased from there, I can't say, but given the reports of
others on this list, and my own experience setting up props, I would
say you would have a range of 400 to 600 RPM to adjust the prop and
still keep the engine within Rotax recommended operating parameters.
My other feelings about Ivo's are well documented here. I didn't mount
the medium Ivo that came with my HKS powered trike because of the
torque schedule and flimsy mounting of this prop on this engine. In
brief, the HKS does not have the drive lugs required by this prop so
power would have been transferred through six 8mm screws with no
shank, which essentially means it would be mounted by the metal
between the thread valleys of the screws, which is less than 1/4".
Vic, I don't know your situation, but you may be suffering from winter
time blues and your attitude will change with sunny skies and warm
temps. If that's the case, just pretend you don't own a plane for the
winter and get a marvelous surprise in the spring. Smile If, on the
other hand you are in financial or medical distress, do what you have
to, that's life these days. I think I can speak for everyone here that
whatever you decide you will be in our thoughts as we all wish you
better days.

Rick
On Nov 8, 2007 7:58 PM, <ElleryWeld(at)aol.com> wrote:
Quote:

Vic
are you nuts ? you keep that plane ! You just finished it ,I will get you
going in it as soon as you have the airworthyness slip on it,
Hey Guys Vic has lost his mind dont pay attention to him I hope its just a
temporary thing he has been tipping the bottle a bit to much lately

Ellery
do not archive

russ(at)rkiphoto.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

I like your thinking! -- bottles are seldom big enuf -- what part of Maine are you in?RussOn Nov 9, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Vic Peters wrote:
[quote]Well Ellery is partially right I've been losing my mind gradually for years.
But as for tipping the bottle, mine is so big it tips me.

Vic
do not archive
Quote:
      -- Please Support Your Lists          (And Get Some AWESOME FREE  November is the Annual List Fund Raiser.  Click class="Apple-converted-space"> the Contribution link below to  this year's Terrific class="Apple-converted-space">   List Contribution Web Site: class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution   Thank you for your generous                                     - The Kolb-List Email Forum - class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List                 --> http://forums.matronics.com
[b]

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern everyone but Ellery is just yankin your chain.
Next time I see him he'll get a sharp blow to the head like that "I could
have had a V8" commercial.
I do partake of some libation occasionally, no more than usual, less than
most. Age limits a lot of things.
I've always been financially stressed and people that are always happy just
make me want what they are taking.
My thinking was that learning to fly from scratch at 59 in a Kolb that has
to be wheel landed at 60mph may not be the best idea since my 2D
coordination is marginal let alone 3D.
I'm thinking of building an experimental Taylorcraft. I figure once no one
can afford a Cub anymore they will become popular.

Vic
Maine
Xtra 912 do not archive

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

At 10:22 AM 11/10/2007, Vic Peters wrote:

Quote:
I'm thinking of building an experimental Taylorcraft. I figure once no one
can afford a Cub anymore they will become popular.

Vic, ORIGINAL Cubs are outta sight pricewise, but a replica (experimental)
Cub should be no more expensive than a replica Taylorcraft. Not to put the
T-Craft down, I owned one for years; it's really a much better flying
airplane than the Cub (remember, C.G. Taylor designed the Cub first, then
the T-Craft as an improved design). Even an original T-Craft can be had in
the sub $20K range for a good flying example.

-Dana

do not archive
--
--
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

---

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Your probably right Denny, Thing is if you land at the correct attitude the
nose is only about 12" off the runway. If the tail hits first your stalled.
Course none of that bothers Ellery.
Maybe I should get longer legs from Travis.
Vic do not archive
Xtra not Classic

Vic,
That Kolb is going to be easier to land than a T-Craft clone, and as far as
having to wheel land it at 60 mph: Who in the heck sold you that dodo? Do
they have a wing center gap seal on their Kolb?

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Vic

Wow you just finished your Kolb and thinking of selling it? If money is an
issue the Kolb is pretty hard to beat. If this is your first built you can't
imagine the great feeling of flying something you built.

As for landing one it really isn't a problem. Get some training in a Kolb or
similar light plane . There is only one thing that could cause you a problem
as a new Kolb pilot and that is the plane's ability to slow down very
quickly. You can almost eliminate the issue by carrying power down to the
landing flair or even later. I try to three point all my landings. When you
three point you landings you are landing slower and you can get your tail
down and control your rollout better even in cross winds. It works for me.

I'm not sure that longer gear legs would help the landing situation you seem
concerned about. New Kolb did at least at one point require you sign a
agreement to decrease the angle of attack on the wings when you add the
longer gear legs. The short gear legs put you in almost a wheel landing
attitude and keep you from taking off before you have a extra margin of
airspeed on take off. I think it's a safety issue. There are certainly
benefits of longer gear legs but you might want to wait till you have more
experience.

Again worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC
---

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Vic just because the tail hit the runway first doesnt mean you have already stalled the airplane especially with your short gear legs

I will be up there some time soon and show you how to Land it, dont get nervous but Im going to put the tail on the ground first every Landing so you can get the picture

I'll help you out a Kolb is much better to fly than an old Taylorcraft anyway

Ellery 100 miles from Vic
do not archive

[quote][b]

MKIIIX040

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

Taylocraft is a done deal.
Vic do not archive
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Xtra Information Reply with quote

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: