Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine inspection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemader(at)bresnan.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: engine inspection Reply with quote

Am just about ready to hang the engine on my RV-4 project. The engine was purchased on E-bay and was supposedly rebuilt in 1991. On the outside, it looks very clean and looks like it was very well done, however, its been over ten years since the completion of this overhaul. I have convinced myself to at least pull a cylinder and look inside. My question is, is there a certain cylinder which will show me the most once I get it off? One, two, three, or four? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Dave Mader
RV-6A sold
RV-6 flying
RV-4 building
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
kboatright1(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: engine inspection Reply with quote

Do you know how the engine was stored? Vertical or horizontal? If vertical, I would check whichever cylinder was on top. If horizontal, I can't think of a reason why one cylinder would be any better or worse than the others.

Have you pulled the plugs on your cylinders? If you do that, you can poke a flashlight in one spark plug hole and look in the other, then repeat the other way around. A borescope would be even better. You could at least get some idea of the condition of the inside of all of your cylinders.

KB

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrobert569(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: engine inspection Reply with quote

Too look inside any cylinder will do but I would also encourage you to find a borescope and check each cylinder.  As it was rebuilt in 1991 I would check the oil pump for AD 96-09-10 compliance. Most, if not all, DARs and inspectors will not buy off the initial inspection unless they know that all ADs have been complied with.  The reason for this is that we know that you don't have to comply once the A/W cert is issued but we don't consider that aircraft safe to operate unless all ADs are done at the time of the initial inspection.

Mike Robertson
Quote:
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV-List: engine inspection
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:03:14 -0700

.ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle17 {font-family:Arial;color:windowtext;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
Am just about ready to hang the engine on my RV-4 project. The engine was purchased on E-bay and was supposedly rebuilt in 1991. On the outside, it looks very clean and looks like it was very well done, however, its been over ten years since the completion of this overhaul. I have convinced myself to at least pull a cylinder and look inside. My question is, is there a certain cylinder which will show me the most once I get it off? One, two, three, or four? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Dave Mader
RV-6A sold
RV-6 flying
RV-4 building
Quote:

blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
t=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
p://forums.matronics.com

Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now! [quote][b]

davemader(at)bresnan.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: engine inspection Reply with quote

Kyle,
Thanks for the response. What I was really more concerned with was the inside of the engine. I have heard you can inspect quit a bit of the inside from the cylinder hole. I would like to be able to see the cam and maybe the face of one or two followers. Just thought maybe one cylinder hole would be better than another.

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Kyle Boatright
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 6:29 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: engine inspection

Do you know how the engine was stored? Vertical or horizontal? If vertical, I would check whichever cylinder was on top. If horizontal, I can't think of a reason why one cylinder would be any better or worse than the others.

Have you pulled the plugs on your cylinders? If you do that, you can poke a flashlight in one spark plug hole and look in the other, then repeat the other way around. A borescope would be even better. You could at least get some idea of the condition of the inside of all of your cylinders.

KB

[quote]
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: