Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pullable 60 Amp Breaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

Over the years I've looked without success for a pullable 60 Amp breaker. The other day I noticed one in a friend's Glastar (an early two-weeks-to-taxi pathfinder). I crawled under the panel, jotted down the part number, and found several sources on the net. The part number is 413-K14-LN2, made by ETA. I bought one from Pacific Coast Avionics (part number "ETA-60". They have a 75 Amp version, too.

Use with caution, of course. Pulling the breaker when the alternator is putting out significant current can ruin the alternator (V = L*di/dt, I suppose).

[img]cid:part1.03070702.07050801(at)msm.umr.edu[/img]
Quote:

--
Tim Lewis -- HEF (Manassas, VA)
RV-6A N47TD -- 900 hrs
RV-10 #40059 under construction

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

moz-screenshot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.68 KB
 Viewed:  3514 Time(s)

moz-screenshot.jpg

fastpilotrv8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

For what its worth I just through mine away and went to a fuse from B&C . Had to many problems with this breaker.  I was on my second one in four years.

Dane Sheahen
RV8a and all Glass

In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:11:16 P.M. Central Standard Time, Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu writes:
Quote:

Over the years I've looked without success for a pullable 60 Amp breaker. The other day I noticed one in a friend's Glastar (an early two-weeks-to-taxi pathfinder). I crawled under the panel, jotted down the part number, and found several sources on the net. The part number is 413-K14-LN2, made by ETA. I bought one from Pacific Coast Avionics (part number "ETA-60". They have a 75 Amp version, too.

Use with caution, of course. Pulling the breaker when the alternator is putting out significant current can ruin the alternator (V = L*di/dt, I suppose).
Quote:
--
RV-6A N47TD -- 900 hrs

See what's new

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

moz-screenshot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.68 KB
 Viewed:  3513 Time(s)

moz-screenshot.jpg

Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

What problems did you encounter?

--
RV-6A N47TD -- 975 hrs

FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
For what its worth I just through mine away and went to a fuse from
B&C . Had to many problems with this breaker. I was on my second
one in four years.

Dane Sheahen
RV8a and all Glass

In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:11:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu writes:

Over the years I've looked without success for a pullable 60 Amp
breaker. The other day I noticed one in a friend's Glastar (an
early two-weeks-to-taxi pathfinder). I crawled under the panel,
jotted down the part number, and found several sources on the
net. The part number is 413-K14-LN2, made by ETA. I bought one
from Pacific Coast Avionics (part number "ETA-60". They have a 75
Amp version, too.

Use with caution, of course. Pulling the breaker when the
alternator is putting out significant current can ruin the
alternator (V = L*di/dt, I suppose).
--
RV-6A N47TD -- 900 hrs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's new

fastpilotrv8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

I had problems blowing the 60 amp circuit breaker in flight only. B&C suggested I tighten down the screws on the 60 amp circuit breaker and check the crimps on the 8 ga wire. (Stiffness of the 8ga. wire puts a strain on the circuit breaker) First screw I turned about a 1/4 turn, second screw turned about 1/8 of a turn and broke. So I put a new 60 amp breaker in. Went flying again, blew the 5 amp breaker for the field on the B & C alternator. So I sent the alternator in to be checked out by B&C. Alternator checked out fine. Talked with Tim at B&C he suggest there large fuse in line. I installed the fuse replaced 8ga. with a 6 ga. Cable, now everything is fine.

The first circuit breaker lasted 4 years. Also the placement of the circuit breaker on my RV8 meant every time I had to add a switch or change something I was tugging and bending the 8ga. wire hooked up to the circuit breaker. This probably caused the problem and it could have been in the crimps. Just remember that is big wire going to a small little screw. I suppose if you hook the circuit breaker up to a buss strip you wouldn't have the problem I had.

Dane

--
RV-6A N47TD -- 975 hrs

FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
For what its worth I just through mine away and went to a fuse from
B&C  . Had to many problems with this breaker. I was on my second
one in four years.

Dane Sheahen
RV8a and all Glass

In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:11:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu writes:

Over the years I've looked without success for a pullable 60 Amp
  breaker. The other day I noticed one in a friend's Glastar (an
early two-weeks-to-taxi pathfinder). I crawled under the panel,
jotted down the part number, and found several sources on the
net. The part number is 413-K14-LN2, made by ETA. I bought one
from Pacific Coast Avionics (part number "ETA-60". They have a 75
Amp version, too.

Use with caution, of course. Pulling the breaker when the
alternator is putting out significant current can ruin the
alternator (V = L*di/dt, I suppose).
--
RV-6A N47TD -- 900 hrs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's ; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE r. u for nbsp; -Matt Dralle, List ronics ist - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
-> =====================

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

Vanremog(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

In a message dated 11/21/2007 3:40:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
I had problems blowing the 60 amp circuit breaker in flight only. B&C suggested I tighten down the screws on the 60 amp circuit breaker and check the crimps on the 8 ga wire. (Stiffness of the 8ga. wire puts a strain on the circuit breaker) First screw I turned about a 1/4 turn, second screw turned about 1/8 of a turn and broke. So I put a new 60 amp breaker in. Went flying again, blew the 5 amp breaker for the field on the B & C alternator. So I sent the alternator in to be checked out by B&C. Alternator checked out fine. Talked with Tim at B&C he suggest there large fuse in line.

==============================

Assuming that there is no error in the way your system is wired, a 60 Amp rated B&C alternator can happily supply somewhat more than 60A during periods when the battery is run down (and demanding a high charging rate) while at the same time being asked to power up a lot of greedy on-line accessories.

I have used a nice 70A rated E-T-A pullable circuit breaker (E-T-A P/N 413-K14-LN2-70A) on my 60A B&C since day one and have never had a nuisance trip.

The link for the datasheet is here http://www.e-t-a.com/uploads/prodb/D_413_e_A.pdf

Even though the photo is incorrect on the Allied website, they claim they have 19 in stock http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=677-0287&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=413%2DK14%2DLN2%2D70A&R=677%2D0287&sid=47437500130F617F

Good Luck.

N1GV (RV-6A, Flying 870hrs, O-360-A1A, C/S, Silicon Valley)

Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Pullable 60 Amp Breaker Reply with quote

Dane,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I noticed you described the "small little screw" on the circuit breaker. I wonder if the design has been changed over the years. The screws on the 60 amp pullable breaker I bought are 3/16 (AN-3 size). These screws are larger than the screws on any other breaker on my panel (RV-6A or RV-10).

In any case, based on your insights I'll pay extra attention to isolating the feed wire to the 60 Amp breaker so I don't stress the attach point.

Thanks,

Tim Lewis

FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com (FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com) wrote: [quote]
I had problems blowing the 60 amp circuit breaker in flight only. B&C suggested I tighten down the screws on the 60 amp circuit breaker and check the crimps on the 8 ga wire. (Stiffness of the 8ga. wire puts a strain on the circuit breaker) First screw I turned about a 1/4 turn, second screw turned about 1/8 of a turn and broke. So I put a new 60 amp breaker in. Went flying again, blew the 5 amp breaker for the field on the B & C alternator. So I sent the alternator in to be checked out by B&C. Alternator checked out fine. Talked with Tim at B&C he suggest there large fuse in line. I installed the fuse replaced 8ga. with a 6 ga. Cable, now everything is fine.

The first circuit breaker lasted 4 years. Also the placement of the circuit breaker on my RV8 meant every time I had to add a switch or change something I was tugging and bending the 8ga. wire hooked up to the circuit breaker. This probably caused the problem and it could have been in the crimps. Just remember that is big wire going to a small little screw. I suppose if you hook the circuit breaker up to a buss strip you wouldn't have the problem I had.

Dane

--
RV-6A N47TD -- 975 hrs

FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com (FASTPILOTRV8(at)aol.com) wrote:
> For what its worth I just through mine away and went to a fuse from
> B&C . Had to many problems with this breaker. I was on my second
> one in four years.
>
> Dane Sheahen
> RV8a and all Glass
>
>
>
> In a message dated 11/18/2007 8:11:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu (Tim_Lewis(at)msm.umr.edu) writes:
>
>
>
> Over the years I've looked without success for a pullable 60 Amp
> breaker. The other day I noticed one in a friend's Glastar (an
> early two-weeks-to-taxi pathfinder). I crawled under the panel,
> jotted down the part number, and found several sources on the
> net. The part number is 413-K14-LN2, made by ETA. I bought one
> from Pacific Coast Avionics (part number "ETA-60". They have a 75
> Amp version, too.
>
> Use with caution, of course. Pulling the breaker when the
> alternator is putting out significant current can ruin the
> alternator (V = L*di/dt, I suppose).
>
>
> --
> Tim Lewis -- HEF (Manassas, VA)
> RV-6A N47TD -- 900 hrs
> RV-10 #40059 under construction
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> See what's ; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE r. u for nbsp; -Matt Dralle, List ronics ist - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
-> =====================

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: