Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail Dragger Towbar Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rveighta(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

I'm getting to the point with my RV-8 where I am going to need a towbar to maneuver the plane in and out of my hangar, and I need some advice on what type of towbar works well at a reasonable price (ACS has 'em starting at $159 for the "Taildragger Dragger" and upwards).

Sure would appreciate your input............

Thanks,

Walt Shipley RV8A 300 hrs, RV8 gettin' close to flyin'

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
kboatright1(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Buy the "Cessna style towbar" from Aircraft Spruce. This is the one that
collapses when you remove a cotterless hitch pin. The towbar is less than
$50 and works very well. All you need to do is pay a little more attention
in bending and trimming the cotter pin that holds the nut to the axle bolt
on the tailwheel.
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rv6n(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Walt C
6nbsp;
I use the tail dragger dragger and it works fine on concrete and asphalt but I don 7t think the wheels are large enough for use on grass E 6nbsp;
6nbsp;
Bob Bales
RV6
6nbsp;

---

jeffpoint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

2nd what Kyle said about the Deluxe Cessna Towbar. Wag Aero also sells
a similar which I have (since Wag is in my back yard.) As Kyle said, a
little tweaking of the cotter pin is in order. Also, I reamed out the
lugs on the towbar ever so slightly and that helps. I also used a
slightly longer bolt for the tailwheel and put a few washers under each
side. This gives the towbar some more "meat" to grab onto, but it
probably cost me .001 knot. I forget the exact bolt size but it was
about 1/2 inch longer than standard.

Jeff Point
RV-6 flying
RV-8 tail done
Milwaukee

Quote:

Gary.A.Sobek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

After 10-years of flying my RV, I use the built in towbar (horizontal stab) to move the airplane were ever it needs to go. It is already part of the airplane, does not increase empty weight of the airplane, and did not cost any extra money.

Gary A. Sobek
"My Sanity" RV-6 N157GS O-320 Hartzell,
2,0638 + Flying Hours So. CA, USA

[quote] Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:48:43 -0500
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question

--> RV-List message posted by: rveighta <rveighta(at)earthlink.net>

I'm getting to the point with my RV-8 where I am going to need a towbar to maneuver the plane in and out of my hangar, and I need some advice on what type of towbar works well at a reasonable price (ACS has 'em starting at $159 for the "Taildragger Dragger" and upwards).

Thanks,

Walt Shipley RV8A 300 hrs, RV8 gettin' close to====

i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more
Quote:
[b]

ronschreck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Walt,
I made my own tow bar. It cost me nothing because I had the materials at hand. It is light; less than 3 ounces. It folds to an overall length of 4 inches, so I take it with me with no problems. It is a rope with a 1-inch diameter dowel used for a handle. Slip it around the vertical shaft of the tailwheel and the plane will follow you wherever you pull it.

I'm not trying to by cute. IMHO money spent on a towbar for a tail dragger is wasted.

Ron Schreck
RV-8 "Miss Izzy"
Gold Hill Airpark, NC

I'm getting to the point with my RV-8 where I am going to need a towbar to maneuver
the plane in and out of my hangar, and I need some advice on what type of
towbar works well at a reasonable price (ACS has 'em starting at $159 for the
"Taildragger Dragger" and upwards).

Thanks,

Walt Shipley RV8A 300 hrs, RV8 gettin' close to flyin'

[quote][b]

sbuc(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Ron Schreck wrote:
Quote:
Walt, I made my own tow bar. It cost me nothing because I had the
materials at hand. It is light; less than 3 ounces. It folds to an
overall length of 4 inches, so I take it with me with no problems.
It is a rope with a 1-inch diameter dowel used for a handle. Slip it
around the vertical shaft of the tailwheel and the plane will follow
you wherever you pull it.

I'm not trying to by cute. IMHO money spent on a towbar for a tail
dragger is wasted.

The rope works great....unless you want to *push* the plane with the
"towbar". Smile

With my hangar situation it is easiest to manage the plane with the
towbar both coming and going while maneuvering around my hangarmate's
RV-6A.

The Cessna bar has worked great for eight years:

http://thervjournal.com/airport.html#towbar

Sam Buchanan

pbesing(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Why do you need a towbar? If you have a full swivel tailwheel (all of them do nowadays, but I just recently had to upgrade mine to the Bell tailwheel fork) just push on the horizontal and vertical stab and she'll move anywhere you want to go.

Paul Besing
RV-4 N73DD
Arizona

---

johnd(at)wlcwyo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

I made up the same thing Ron. It works as well as any towbar I have ever used. Plus I always have it with me in the plane.

John L. Danielson

--

n616tb(at)btsapps.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Agreed the Tail Dragger Dragger might work ok on asphalt but it does not work well on grass. Here is my experience with it.

I have to push the dragger up under the belly by going quite a bit up forward else the wheel doesn’t fit under the back of my -6. Then pull it back to get it to the tail wheel and it wont really just slide to get the tailwheel between the pins so usually I end up picking up the plane slightly to set it on the dragger. Hard to do with only two hands. Then when I try to pull it backwards on the grass the wheel tends to want to turn in the saddle. This is especially true if you need to turn the dragger to position the plane differently. Once the wheel turns in the saddle, it will pop off the dragger and be a bad thing. To fix this I use a bungy cord to wrap around the wheel and the dragger and hook it to the pins. Well you can’t just go under the dragger with the bungy so again you have to lift up on the handle while stretching the bungy under the bar so you can bring it over the top of the wheel again to hook it.

Overall I have deemed it next to useless for my needs and would be willing to sell it to someone with asphalt only needs. Personally I wouldn’t buy one again even if I was on asphalt. An engineer friend here on the airpark designed a simple and easy to use with positive connection for his Sonex. After seeing how easy it was it looked to me like it would work for my RV. He has redesigned a version for me and this works about as perfect as it could. Now I just walk this back up to the rear of the tail wheel and tip the handle up and push it in. Once under the wheel bolt, let the handle down and you have a positive lock on the wheel and it will NOT turn out, pop off or even require me to get down and screw around with it. I love it and am absolutely willing to share the design. Problem is you have to build it.

If anyone is interested, just email me and I will scan the detail drawings in so you can see for yourself.
Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of rv6n(at)optonline.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: Tail Dragger Towbar Question

Walt,

I use the tail dragger dragger and it works fine on concrete and asphalt but I don't think the wheels are large enough for use on grass.

Bob Bales

RV6

---

n616tb(at)btsapps.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

Here is page one for viewing. If you are interested in building this just ask me off line and I will send the other two detail drawings.
Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Bryan
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:21 AM
Subject: RE: Tail Dragger Towbar Question

Agreed the Tail Dragger Dragger might work ok on asphalt but it does not work well on grass. Here is my experience with it.

I have to push the dragger up under the belly by going quite a bit up forward else the wheel doesn’t fit under the back of my -6. Then pull it back to get it to the tail wheel and it wont really just slide to get the tailwheel between the pins so usually I end up picking up the plane slightly to set it on the dragger. Hard to do with only two hands. Then when I try to pull it backwards on the grass the wheel tends to want to turn in the saddle. This is especially true if you need to turn the dragger to position the plane differently. Once the wheel turns in the saddle, it will pop off the dragger and be a bad thing. To fix this I use a bungy cord to wrap around the wheel and the dragger and hook it to the pins. Well you can’t just go under the dragger with the bungy so again you have to lift up on the handle while stretching the bungy under the bar so you can bring it over the top of the wheel again to hook it.

Overall I have deemed it next to useless for my needs and would be willing to sell it to someone with asphalt only needs. Personally I wouldn’t buy one again even if I was on asphalt. An engineer friend here on the airpark designed a simple and easy to use with positive connection for his Sonex. After seeing how easy it was it looked to me like it would work for my RV. He has redesigned a version for me and this works about as perfect as it could. Now I just walk this back up to the rear of the tail wheel and tip the handle up and push it in. Once under the wheel bolt, let the handle down and you have a positive lock on the wheel and it will NOT turn out, pop off or even require me to get down and screw around with it. I love it and am absolutely willing to share the design. Problem is you have to build it.

If anyone is interested, just email me and I will scan the detail drawings in so you can see for yourself.
Tim

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of rv6n(at)optonline.net
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: Tail Dragger Towbar Question

Walt,

I use the tail dragger dragger and it works fine on concrete and asphalt but I don't think the wheels are large enough for use on grass.

Bob Bales

RV6

---

TowbarPg1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.4 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

TowbarPg1.jpg

gptyler(at)metrocast.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Towbar Question Reply with quote

The "Taildragger", works fine as long as you don't have to pull the plane up
any significant incline. I have used the least expensive version on my -6
for over 5 years.
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: