Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resending: Help-582 ignition fault

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainsworth(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: resending: Help-582 ignition fault Reply with quote

Hello List, can anyone help with this problem?
I have a Model 4 Kitfox with a blue head 582 with 170 hours on the engine.The plane had a gray head 582 which I replaced on 2005.
The problem is when I started the plane last week the engine started ok but when a mag check was done one mag was ok but the other gave a drop of 800 to 1000 rpm on the rev counter but the engine itself did not slow down
I have done basic checks on the grounding points for the engine and rev counter but I am not an electronics person.I have looked at the Rotax ignition schmatic but its not much help.
I dont understand how the rev counter can read ok on one side but not the other.

Russell Ainsworth Mod 4 1050 ZK-KIV NEW ZEALAND

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
eskflyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: resending: Help-582 ignition fault Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing . the coil for the rev counter died . I use a tinytach it is accurate and gives me a perfect reading everytime and only cost about 45 bucks .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

582 cbox 2:62-1 IVO IFA
1220 Full Lotus
msm_9949(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: resending: Help-582 ignition fault Reply with quote

Russell,

Because you detect no change in engine speed when you shut down one CDI, and because you get an accurate rpm reading on the other CDI, I'm going to guess that you have a digital "tiny tach" already installed. If not, ignore the rest of this post.

If you'll have a look you'll find that the "sensor" for this device is no more than a wire wrapped 3-4 turns around one of your plug wires. It measures rpms by detecting the high voltage electronic pulse in this lead. So, when you shut down the CDI that fires though that lead, the digital readout will drop dramatically. At least that's been my experience.

I have both digital tiny tach and a very inaccurate analog installed. I use the digital for accurate measurement under normal operation and the analog only to give relative drop during run-up. One day I'll treat myself to an accurate analog instrument that will do both.

R & L Ainsworth <rainsworth(at)xtra.co.nz> wrote:
Quote:
Hello List, can anyone help with this problem?
I have a Model 4 Kitfox with a blue head 582 with 170 hours on the engine.The plane had a gray head 582 which I replaced on 2005.
The problem is when I started the plane last week the engine started ok but when a mag check was done one mag was ok but the other gave a drop of 800 to 1000 rpm on the rev counter but the engine itself did not slow down
I have done basic checks on the grounding points for the engine and rev counter but I am not an electronics person.I have looked at the Rotax ignition [/b]
[/quote]
Marco Menezes
Model 2 582 N99KX
Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

rainsworth(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: resending: Help-582 ignition fault Reply with quote

Thanks to those who replied to my post re ignition. I do not have a tiny tach but I will look into getting one.

Russell Ainsworth Mod 4 1050 ZK-KIV NEW ZEALAND

Do not archive.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: