Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running tank dry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Running tank dry Reply with quote

Last July I purchased Jim Johannes's beautiful Lightning from his estate. I now have 32 hrs and 77 landings, it just gets better!

I'm writing to ask the experience of the group in running one tank dry. How long does it take to restart after you switch to the other tank? Does one need to use the boost pump?

My fuel selector does not have a "both" position.

Thanks to all who take the time to answer.

Bob Belshe
N563J

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Running tank dry Reply with quote

Good morning Bob,
Congratulations on your Lightning, and as you said, it just gets better and better. To answer your question, I have run a tank dry during phase one testing on several occasions when calibrating my fuel quantity gauges and it starts up pretty quickly when you do switch tanks. But there are a few things to think about. The main thing that caught me slightly off guard was that it quit immediately - no surging or missing a little before quitting as I have seen when I used to run a tank dry on long cross countries in past Bonanzas I have owned. With those there would be some surging before it actually quit and that would give you some time to change tanks before the engine actually quite. Not so on this set up - it would be running fine, then silence. Even though I was expecting it, it was a little startling to have it just stop running all at once. I'm not sure why this happens, but perhaps because of the carb instead of a fuel injection as on the Bonanzas. But when I switched to the other tank, it started almost immediately. Quickly enough that I didn't have time to switch on the electric fuel boost pump.
However, having done this a few times, I now know that there is at least one thing you can see that will give you some warning that the engine is getting ready to stop as it runs out of fuel. Just watch the fuel flow indicator and you will see it increase just before the engine quits. What is happening is that as the fuel flow is interrupted, and some air is now in the fuel line, the fuel flow transmitter will start to spin faster thus giving a false indication of increased fuel flow. So if you happen to be watching the fuel flow as the exact time the fuel tank is being exhausted, you will see the fuel flow go up. Switch tanks at this time and the engine will not quit before you get better fuel flow from the new tank.
As with all things experimental, this is based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich

In a message dated 12/1/2011 1:31:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, rbelshe(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "rbelshe(at)comcast.net" <rbelshe(at)comcast.net>

Last July I purchased Jim Johannes's beautiful Lightning from his estate. I now have 32 hrs and 77 landings, it just gets better!

I'm writing to ask the experience of the group in running one tank dry. How long does it take to restart after you switch to the other tank? Does one need to use the boost pump?

My fuel selector does not have a "both" position.

Thanks to all who take the time to answer.

Bob Belshe
N563J

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=359983#359983

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

selwyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Running tank dry Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

A little delayed I know but I thought I would share my experience with running a tank dry. In October I (with my wife) flew our Lightning from our home in Horsham Victoria to Perth WA for a round trip of some 3000NM (plus sightseeing). On the way beck we had one long leg from Forrest in the middle of the Nullarbor to Port Pirie, north of Adelaide and I decided to run one tank to close to exhaustion to get a good handle on my fuel situation. In the event, about two minutes before the clock said zero fuel the tank ran dry. The engine did not cut dead but ran really rough and probably was not putting out much power. You will understand that this is my impression in the five seconds or so it took me to flick on the fuel pump and change tanks, I didn't stop to take notes Smile.

In the event we covered the 530 mile leg in a tick over 4 hours with around 50 min fuel remaining which I think makes the Lightning a fair to middling cross country aeroplane. Overall we did 33 hours flying at 130kt TAS, 24lph fuel and just under one liter of oil all up. We had friends in a C172 XP accompanying us and they were 10 knots behind on speed and 10 lph ahead on fuel used.

I think it an advantage that you don't have a "both" option on your fuel management. If you have both tanks on the engine stops when the first one runs dry and you then have to fiddle about turning tanks off to isolate the empty one by trial and error. Not a good idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: