Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tipping line personnel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott-p(at)texas.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Tipping line personnel Reply with quote

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I know that we are all fascinated by the on-going discussion on the relative merits of flight suits and Nomex (I wear one, but wouldn’t mandate it for anyone else), but I have a much more mundane question: What do people do about tipping line guys (and gals)? I have recently purchased a Yak 55M, and have received nothing but stellar service from the line guys at the FBO where I am based. They are excited about the plane, have been interested to learn how to handle it correctly, and have gone out of their way to help me with it (to the point of driving me to my house the evening that I brought the plane home the first time…). In the past, I have had two-seat airplanes, and handled the issue of tipping by just giving them rides. Obviously, in the single seat -55M, that is no longer an option. What do most people here do about tipping?

BTW, I can now say with some degree of authority, that a -55M really is about 80-85% of a Sukhoi for about 1/3 of the price (since my last ride was an Su29).

Thanks,

Scott Poehlmann
Yak 55M  N155YK

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cdustercc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tipping line personnel Reply with quote

Its a shame the yak 54 didn't get produced in large numbers. I've never seen one but it has to be a great combination. It would definetely solve your "tipping" problem. Where were folks like you when I was pumping gas twenty years ago? My biggest tip was "hey kid, you missed a spot on my windshield!"

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tipping line personnel Reply with quote

As a former line guy (awesome learning experience), I can attest to the effects of a tip. It will get you a long way when the day comes when you really need some help that line is not normally not supposed to do..and at all hours.

Rides are cool and a very welcome gesture (MiG, T-33, P-51, T-6, T-28, Stearman, TS-ll...just to name a few airplanes I flew in while line) but some folks just like working unique airplanes. Since you have a single holer, slip them a few bucks or buy them dinner while they are working. Just let them know you appreciate their efforts!

There are some real tools out there who roll up in their airplanes, hop out and say "Dont touch it". Those guys what they gave. We would treat them like they were just a regular run of the mill airplane (which were still worthy of our efforts), but to these guys, since they were flying cool iron, the thought people would trip over themselves. When we did not, it drove them nuts.

I have tons of people wanting to help me with the -50, because the think it is cool which I think is cool. Plus it lets people know that these really are great airplanes and not "Russian Junk". I take care of those who take care of me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: