Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

On the Firestar project I recently started, yesterday I ordered a couple of tires from Aircraft Spruce. You guys were right- excellent service. I also called Aitcraft Tech and talked to both Jim and Dondi- again excellent. I took some scrap wood and built a boom support so I could work on the tailwheel. Too cold for more. Today I put the wings on, and tried to weigh it. I don't trust the bathroom scale anymore- re-weigh everything, and kept getting different results. I had to stop and take the wings off when the wind picked up, but it might be 15 pounds heavy. Or it's the scale. I was having trouble with the door catch, but my Dremel smoothed off a bumpy weld on the catch, and I polished the rotary arm. I still have to clamp the window frame it's mounted on- it slides back and forth. Epoxy, maybe, or a pop rivet. I tried to start it, and the primer would not pump up, and I was afraid to blow a gas line. The filter looks to have crud in it, and I was looking at the Mikuni pump. It tilts to the front. Is there any possibility that it could have water in that corner and froze? The temp only went up to about 34 today.
Bill (old Firestar)
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Personally I would not worry about 15 pounds overweight. An early firestar makes a very passable ultralight. Trying to pass off a 2 seat MK III as an ultralight probably wont work, but if its just 15 pounds only an anal SOB would care either way.

Your best option is to N Number you plane. I just heard through the grapevine that if you are an EAA member, and you send in all your paperwork, that the FAA is giving extensions to get the inspection done. But you MUST have your paperwork in by Jan 31. Dont take this as gospel, but I just heard this today... Call the EAA before doing anything and confirm it with them.

If for some reason you just can not get an N number, I would not worry about 15 pounds. There will always be some idiot that will tell you to throw your plane away, or take weight off the structure, etc etc but I never listen to anal idiots.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

> If for some reason you just can not get an N number, I would not worry
about 15 pounds. There will always be some idiot that will tell you to
throw your plane away, or take weight off the structure, etc etc but I never
listen to anal idiots.
Quote:

Mike

Mike B:

If the aircraft weighs more than 254 lbs, it is an airplane.

If the aircraft weighs 269 lbs and is not registered maybe you can explain
away those 15 lbs to the first FAA type that ramp checks you. Yes, ramp
checks are real, even back in prehistoric times of the 1980's.

I don't consider myself an anal idiot, however, I would not recommend to
anyone to fly a fat ultralight because if is not an ultralight but an
unregistered airplane.

What do you think about those 1g glides to touch down with a few 90 and 180
deg turns thrown in there for good measure? Like I said, I would never have
believed it if I had not done it.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Hi John,

I think you are one lucky dog because you got to go flying your Kolb today and the rest of us did'nt !!! I plan on practicing engine out turns some more as soon as I get a chance...

Did you notice what your altitude loss was in the 180 degree turn back to the field ?

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Please take the time to review the requirements for Ultralights in the FAR's Part 103.

This will help you decide weather or not you can operate under those rules or if you need to get registered as a experimental light sport or amateur built experimental.

Sometimes those real anal guys are with the FAA. Most of the FAA guys are there to help you but they are only human and can have a bad day like any of us.

The FAA has the authority to levy fines and can impose other penalties including confinement etc.

Please make sure you are okay with the "Rules" so that you can avoid any hiccups that life can throw at you.

Good Luck with your Project and Welcome to the Kolb List.

Best Regards
Carlos G

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

> Did you notice what your altitude loss was in the 180 degree turn back to
the field ?
Quote:

Mike

Mike B:

Nope. Wasn't concerned with altitude loss, but making my touch down point
on the grass. Worked every time.

I'll have to watch the VSI next time and see if there is much difference
between 1g glide straight and 1g glide in 90 and 180 deg turns.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Ralph B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

I registered my Original Firestar at 319 lbs. After I built it, it was about 290 lbs. I switched to a 447 Rotax engine, added streamlined struts, bigger wheels, lexan gap seal, and a nice cushion seat. All of this adds weight. I wanted to have the capability to fly cross country, so I carry an extra 6 gallons. Under 103, I couldn't add anything or carry more fuel. Now I can.

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the FAA extension, but I'm going for 103 legal, even if I have to fill the wings and tires with helium. I've had it for a week, and I finally got around to sitting in it. Strange thing is that it fits me perfectly. The previous owner was about 5" taller than me, and I have no idea where his knees were.
After I tried weighing it, I started cleaning and throwing out unnecessary junk. Radio brackets, mouse nests in the cables, and who knows what else. Couldn't weigh them- no scale small enough.
Weather permitting, engine work today. The local snowmobile dealer says they might have the carb mounting rubber and filter. If not, order and wait. also a gas filter and plugs.
Question: On the "B" gear box there are two holes- one each side and about 3/4 of the way up. Are they supposed to be open, or plugged?
Bill
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Bill S:

Go here to get, at no charge, all the manuals for your engine.

http://www.kodiakbs.com/tiintro.htm

Not saying you can't do it, but I know of no one that has come close to legal ultralight weight for a Firestar.

john h
mkIII

[quote] Question: On the "B" gear box there are two holes- one each side and about 3/4 of the way up. Are they supposed to be open, or plugged?
      Bill
Quote:
[b]

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Open. Saves weight.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

william sullivan wrote:
Quote:
<snip>
Question: On the "B" gear box there are two holes- one each side and
about 3/4 of the way up. Are they supposed to be open, or plugged?
Bill

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Bill,

You can save 2 lbs. or more going with 4" Azusa wheels ,but the ground handling wont be as forgiving.

Ed D.

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I checked my fuel system, and everything was okay. Tried to start it- no good. had to get help, and put an in-line spark checker at the plug- no spark. I found a funny switch under the seat cushion, right near the BRS handle. It was wired to the kill switch. There was a very small (1/4") red hard dot in the center, and it wouldn't move. Took it apart- It was a push kill switch, and the rubber in the center had jammed the push button down. Took it out and threw away. Engine started first pull, and more weight gone. Even new, I would have had to take a pen or something to use it. I don't know what someone was thinking.
Bill
[quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

I would not worry a bit about 15 pounds extra on an ultralight. Sure, there well be many that say " Its not legal " , or " The law is the law ".... etc. etc. But you will see those same people going slightly over the speed limit and not thinking twice about it.

15 pounds is inconsequential given a 254 pound limit. I say only an anal idiot would worry about 15 pounds, lets put this into perspective. Its only 6 % over the limit.

If you were driving 58 MPH in a 55 MPH Zone, which is 6 % over the limit, and someone complained that you were speeding, what would you say ??? If you given a ticket for doing 58 MPH in a 55 zone, I guarantee that you would be telling everyone you knew what BS it was to get a ticket for just 3 MPH over... Just about as stupid as worrying about 15 pounds, or 6 % extra on an ultralight no ?

As far as safety, you are far more likely to hurt someone else by doing 58 MPH in a 55 Zone in your car than you ever would be to hurt anyone or anything by having 15 extra pounds on an ultralight. So its nothing short of hypocritical for people say " The law is the law ", unless they never break the speed limit by more than 3 MPH, there is far more danger in that.

People tend to get super anal when it comes to aviation, and yes they are idiots. In reality if you are the type that is super paranoid, super legal, and worried about causing an accident, NEVER go more than 3 MPH over the limit, because this is something that is far more likely to hurt yourself and others than having 15 extra pounds on your Firestar.

Anyone on this list that never drives 3 MPH over the limit ? I didn't think so...

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/28/2008 3:34:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:
I say only an anal idiot would worry about 15 pounds
I think you are missing the point here Mike, To me, it is not a matter of right or wrong, but rather a challenge. I enjoy the challenge of putting somethng together that performs well and meets the guidelines of a category. Sometimes the FAA gives you limits and sometimes nature or physics does. Now if the category is poorly defined or has loopholes then I have no problem exploiting them.

Now is almost 254# like almost not pregnant? The tires almost needed to be replaced / I almost replaced them

I hope to have Firefly on Floats #2 less than 338# done for SnF 08, Hope to see you there,

Anal and not so bright in Florida, Smile
Steve B
Firefly 007/Floats
do not archive

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Wait a minute the speed limit is the minimum you can go, not the maximum. Smile

Ron (Arizona)

do not archive

========================
---- JetPilot <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

I would not worry a bit about 15 pounds extra on an ultralight. Sure, there well be many that say " Its not legal " , or " The law is the law ".... etc. etc. But you will see those same people going slightly over the speed limit and not thinking twice about it.

15 pounds is inconsequential given a 254 pound limit. I say only an anal idiot would worry about 15 pounds, lets put this into perspective. Its only 6 % over the limit.

If you were driving 58 MPH in a 55 MPH Zone, which is 6 % over the limit, and someone complained that you were speeding, what would you say ??? If you given a ticket for doing 58 MPH in a 55 zone, I guarantee that you would be telling everyone you knew what BS it was to get a ticket for just 3 MPH over... Just about as stupid as worrying about 15 pounds, or 6 % extra on an ultralight no ?

As far as safety, you are far more likely to hurt someone else by doing 58 MPH in a 55 Zone in your car than you ever would be to hurt anyone or anything by having 15 extra pounds on an ultralight. So its nothing short of hypocritical for people say " The law is the law ", unless they never break the speed limit by more than 3 MPH, there is far more danger in that.

People tend to get super anal when it comes to aviation, and yes they are idiots. In reality if you are the type that is super paranoid, super legal, and worried about causing an accident, NEVER go more than 3 MPH over the limit, because this is something that is far more likely to hurt yourself and others than having 15 extra pounds on your Firestar.

Anyone on this list that never drives 3 MPH over the limit ? I didn't think so...

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=160801#160801

--
kugelair.com

R. Hankins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

I flew my overweight, overspeed, over fuel capacity KXP as an ultralight since 1999. I stayed to the spirit of the law; no brakes, no electric start, empty weight of 292# with a 503. I stayed out of trouble, gave way to GA aircraft in the pattern etc. If not for the sport pilot rule change shining the spotlight on all of us, I probably would still be flying that way.

Over time, I made many small changes. I added side doors, a little carpeting, extended range tanks, radio and GPS mounts and battery, new wheels, tires, and brakes. Gradually, I moved further and further away from being an ultralight. When sport pilot came out, I decided to take the opportunity to legitimize my unregistered aircraft and quit looking over my shoulder.

It is a personal decision that you must make for yourself. If you are only going to fly around the local patch and nearby non-controlled fields, you will PROBABLY never get checked. If you ever want to take your plane to a fly-in or have a cross-country adventure, your odds of getting caught go up. Just don't kid yourself that you are an ultralight. If you are overweight, or have a top speed over the limit, or a stall speed above the limit, you are flying an unregistered aircraft. It is kind of like driving around without a drivers license. Unless you get pulled over, or have an accident, everyone just assumes you are legal, but it gets tiring keeping one eye glued to the rear-view mirror.

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

15 pounds is inconsequential given a 254 pound limit. I say only an anal
idiot would worry about 15 pounds>>

I am all for pushing the limits a bit but if the law says `that is the
limit` then that is it.

I am sure it must be something similar in the US but here in the |UK the
whole point of a weight limit is not that it is dangerous to exceed the
limit ot that it will make your flying less safe it is the simple fact that
above a certain weight the plane is no longer classed as an ultralight and
must then conform to the same rules as GA..
That automatically means that you are no longer entitled to the breaks in
the maintenance schedules which are enjoyed by the ultralight category. You
will have to pay a `certified` mechanic to carry out anything but the
smallest job on the plane
The flying medical which for an ulralight pilot here is signed off by your
local doctor for about £20 will revert to a full light aircraft category
medical by an `approved` doctor and will be around £180/£200. . Most
important of all is the fact that your insurance will be invalid. Of course
if you are the type who habitually drives a car without insurance then there
is no point in talking and you should be locked up for the general good of
society.

The comparison to breaking the speed limit is puerile. Your car license and
insurance will not become invalid if you go over 30 mph.

The rules and regs governing ultralights have been hard fought for here in
the UK and probably in the USA too. Because ultralight pilots generally have
stuck to the rules and been professional in their conduct they are now
welcomed by nearly all airfields, big and small. That was not the case a few
years ago when we were looked on as hairy arsed. bikers of the sky.

If the weight limit is too low, and as our planes have become more
sophisticated, acquired bigger engines, electronics etc., that may well be
so then get the legislation changed, as we have here, not just pretend it
doesn`t exist. The FAA isnt going to go away but they could ground everyone
with a stroke of the pen.

Life is not a box of chocolates. It is more like a jar of jalapenos.
Something you eat today may come back and roast your bum tomorrow.

Cheers

Pat

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar project Reply with quote

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com wrote:

I am all for pushing the limits a bit but if the law says `that is the
limit` then that is it.

Pat

Well, if the law says 55, then thats it. Better not drive at 58 MPH, and if due to advances in cars, the 55 limit needs to be changed, then legislation should be introduced, don't pretend it does not exist. Sound familiar ???

You are much more likely to do harm to property and life by speeding than by being 15 pounds overweight in with your ultralight. As for image, no one will ever know if your ultralight is 15 pounds overweight or not, its far easier for others to see you speeding.

When you get the emotion of aviation out of the picture and apply the same standard to every day life, its just plain stupid and hypocritical to worry about 15 pounds overweight in an ultralight and then drive 3 MPH over the speed limit or more on a regular basis and think its OK.

You seem to have some issues with being consistent, and even more importantly, you are unable to recognize which is more important and more likely to result in damage to property and others, which is the basis for ALL these rules we live by.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Possums

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

At 07:27 AM 1/28/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

In a message dated 1/28/2008 3:34:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, orcabonita(at)hotmail.com writes:
I say only an anal idiot would worry about 15 pounds

The thing is that after Jan 31, your fat ultralight will stand out a lot
more that it use to "without N-numbers". Use to be hardly anyone had them,
even the two seaters. Now - you will be a lot more conspicuous out there on the
tarmac.
[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Firestar project Reply with quote

Consistent? It appears to me that your talking points are mixing apples
with oranges with bananas.

I seriously doubt that any of us care whether any of the rest of us are
actually Part 103 legal or not, the issue is what happens if you get
ramp checked by FSDO and you are not Part 103 legal. The FSDO guy is not
going to be interested in your likelihood of doing greater damage to
life and property because you are 15 pounds overweight, his job is to
enforce the law as written, so IMO, your comparison to driving 15 over
the speed limit is irrelevant to the issue.

As far as being hypocritical to drive slightly over the speed limit as
opposed to being slightly overweight, I could care less if you drive the
speed limit or not. Because in the real world that I live in, the rules
are written not so much to keep us safe, but to quiet the squeaking
wheels. In Sullivan county where I live, the county commissioners
determine the speed limits, and any yahoo who lives on a county road and
gets a burr under his seat because somebody drives down "his road"
faster than he likes, can write his commissioner a letter and get the
speed limit lowered to 25 mph. Consequently I live in a county with lots
of 45 mph capable roads posted at 25. Do I think the people who drive 40
are hypocrites? No, only the idiot who wrote the letter to his
commissioner who drives 40. Do I think the speed limit rules are written
to keep us safe? Maybe in your world, around here they are written to
pacify Uncle Fester. (And no, I'm not ranting because I got busted <grin>)

Do I think folks ought to push the limits on Part 103 regs? Only if they
are willing to have a deep wallet if The Man catches them out. In which
case, fly it however fat, fast, or far you want, I could care less if
your "ultralight" is part 103 legal or not.

Which is the impression I got of what the other listers were saying: As
long as you're willing to pay the piper, you can dance any way you like.
If not, then get legal. And that's not hypocrisy, that's reality.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

JetPilot wrote:
Quote:

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com wrote:

> I am all for pushing the limits a bit but if the law says `that is the
> limit` then that is it.
>
> Pat
>
Well, if the law says 55, then thats it. Better not drive at 58 MPH, and if due to advances in cars, the 55 limit needs to be changed, then legislation should be introduced, don't pretend it does not exist. Sound familiar ???

You are much more likely to do harm to property and life by speeding than by being 15 pounds overweight in with your ultralight. As for image, no one will ever know if your ultralight is 15 pounds overweight or not, its far easier for others to see you speeding.

When you get the emotion of aviation out of the picture and apply the same standard to every day life, its just plain stupid and hypocritical to worry about 15 pounds overweight in an ultralight and then drive 3 MPH over the speed limit or more on a regular basis and think its OK.

You seem to have some issues with being consistent, and even more importantly, you are unable to recognize which is more important and more likely to result in damage to property and others, which is the basis for ALL these rules we live by.

Mike

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=160887#160887

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: