Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax Oil Penzoil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMWBikeCrz(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Anyone running "aircooled" oil in thier watercooled motors I want to use my left over fuel from flying in my outboard motor ...Dave
It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001) [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Won't hurt a thing.
Do you know that Penzoil just relabels some of their products for marketing. No change in actual formula. Talk to the marketing guys and they'll tell you there is a difference. I have talked to the engineer's at Penzoil group and they say BS they just relabeled. And I'm sure if you talk to other people you will hear everything in between.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

> Do you know that Penzoil just relabels some of their products for
marketing. >
Quote:
--------
Roger Lee

Which products and what new labels?

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Roger,

Pennzoil CHANGED THE NAME(and thus the label) of the 2-stroke oil for
air cooled engines to something with "outdoor" in it. They DO NOT have
a single oil formulation being currently sold with two different
names! Your statement that they are simply relabeling is misleading.

Also, the 912ul engine compression ratio is 9.0:1 not 8.5:1.

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

At 07:42 AM 3/10/2008, Thom Riddle wrote:

Quote:
Pennzoil CHANGED THE NAME(and thus the label) of the 2-stroke oil for
air cooled engines to something with "outdoor" in it. They DO NOT have
a single oil formulation being currently sold with two different
names! Your statement that they are simply relabeling is misleading.

They changed the name of the "air cooled 2-stroke" oil to "outdoor", but
the "watercooled" product is/was something different. Whether it's
_really_ anything different I don't know, but it would make sense that the
formulation would be different for an outboard engine running at lower
temperatures (cooled as it is by a steady supply of cold water) as opposed
to an aircooled engine running at higher temperatures.

Either way, I would think that the air cooled ("outdoor") oil would be a
better choice for a water cooled Rotax since the operating conditions are
closer to those of an air cooled engine than an outboard. When you think
about it, a watercooled Rotax on a plane IS air cooled... just indirectly.

-Dana
--
Scientists cause cancer in laboratory animals.

rowedenny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Dave,
I run Penzoil air cooled in my 2SI 690L-70 and it likes it. Smile

Dennis Rowe
[quote] ---

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Hi Thom,

According to the marketing guys you get on the phone you are 100%right. They make everything special. Talk to the engineers behind those guys down in the trenches and get a different story. I heard it both ways when I did an oil study 5 years ago. I never talk to marketers on a phone anymore. They only tell you what they were told or is written in front of them. I got burned once or twice and have learned to dig deeper past the hype.
I believe I had corrected that post for 9:1 compression within a minute of posting. I checked it, it still reads 9:1.
Some oils used around water do have a different additive package.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056

Last edited by Roger Lee on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

I don't think you'd have any problems running the Pennzoil "Aircooled" 2 stroke oil in an outboard. The Aircooled product is made to lubricate under the much tougher conditions (i.e. higher temps) of aircooled engines, such as chainsaws, weedwackers, etc.

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

At 04:58 PM 3/10/2008, jim wrote:

Quote:
I don't think you'd have any problems running the Pennzoil "Aircooled" 2
stroke oil in an outboard. The Aircooled product is made to lubricate
under the much tougher conditions (i.e. higher temps) of aircooled
engines, such as chainsaws, weedwackers, etc.

Not saying it's the case here, I really don't know, but I can visualize an
oil formulated for the higher temperatures of an air cooled engine sludging
or carboning up in a cooler running water cooled outboard... or an oil
formulated for a cooler running not lubricating as well in a hotter engine.

-Dana
--
Don't steal. The IRS hates competition.

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Pennzoil® Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Premium Engine Oil
[img]http://www.pennzoil.com/products/outdoor/images/Premium-Outboard-&-Multi-P.jpg[/img]

A high performance 2-cycle engine oil meeting or exceeding the warranty requirements of all leading manufacturers of 2-cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles and string trimmers, as well as outboard engines made by: Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Nissan, Force/US Marine, Mariner, Sears and all other manufacturers requiring NMMA TC-W3® oil.
Pennzoil ® Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Premium Engine Oil is formulated to:
  • Protect against piston scuffing and ring sticking.
  • Help keep spark plugs and exhaust ports clean.
Recommended for pre-mix, injector systems and direct injection systems. Good for water-cooled and air-cooled 2-cycle engines recommending NMMA TC-W3 ® products. Always follow the dilution ratio and oil performance level recommended in the owner’s manual. For any use where NMMA TC-W3®, TC-W II® or TC-W® oil is recommended
ates such e, gt; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
-> p; - List Contribution Web Site =========================

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/10/2008 6:18:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, N27SB(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Good for water-cooled and air-cooled 2-cycle engines

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Hmmm, makes me wonder if the new "Outdoor" oil (whether or not it's the oil that's new or just the packaging) is intended to replace both their "air cooled" and their "outboard" oil.

'Course I knew some guys that used nothing but generic TC-W3 oil from West Marine in the 503 on their Quick with no troubles that I know of.

-Dana

At 06:15 PM 3/10/2008, N27SB(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
[img]cid:5.1.0.14.2.20080310182212.00c24010(at)mail.comcast.net.0[/img]Pennzoil Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Premium Engine Oil..

A high performance 2-cycle engine oil meeting or exceeding the warranty requirements of all leading manufacturers of 2-cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles and string trimmers, as well as outboard engines made by: Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Nissan, Force/US Marine, Mariner, Sears and all other manufacturers requiring NMMA TC-W3...

348ba9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.64 KB
 Viewed:  7666 Time(s)

348ba9.jpg

lucien

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotax Oil Penzoil Reply with quote

Dana wrote:
Hmmm, makes me wonder if the new "Outdoor" oil (whether or not it's the oil that's new or just the packaging) is intended to replace both their "air cooled" and their "outboard" oil.

'Course I knew some guys that used nothing but generic TC-W3 oil from West Marine in the 503 on their Quick with no troubles that I know of.

-Dana

Look at the API spec on the bottle, that'll tell you which oil grade you have. The TCW-III grade is primarily a standard for lubricating water-cooled 2 strokes. API TC grade is a tougher standard intended for lubing air-cooled motors.

The TCW-III spec does specify a miniimum lubrication ability for air-cooled engines, tho, so it will work fine in an air-cooled engine as well. It's not as stringent as the TC spec tho...

LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: