Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly the plane!!........reply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apilot(at)surewest.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Fly the plane!!........reply Reply with quote

My trustee Kolb MKIII is without a doubt the most enjoyable and scenic airplane that I have ever flown which includes my next favorites, the J-3, the Hummer, Kasperwing, and most taildraggers of the 1940's and all hang gliders and sailplanes. I like it especially in the summer time with my 1/2 doors. The air circulation is perfect and the visibility is even better; and, I get more air to the prop. All good things. If there is a negative, it is the prop noise that finds it's way forward. (working on that) My MkIII reacts very similar to a J-3 in both performance ahd handling. Yes, I have performed the famous Kolb drop and am almost expert in rebending gears legs. The reason for my dumbness is because I have tried landing like a Cub or Citabria wherein the tail wheel will hit slightly sooner that the mains at full stall. That would be fine were my heights not so high. I am fairly certain that gap seals and VG's on the elevator would help, but then the tail wheel would c
o!
ntact too much before the mains come down. Enough for the learning curve. Now, with VG's on the wing (52 ea), it floats down gently. At 60mph approach, 50 mph round out to about 2 feet and very slight release of elevator it just sits on the runway rolling along slowly after the tailwheel hits only slightly before the mains. It is a delight. The advise here on the net has been good and having a little power on landing is both safe and reassuring. It is a pilots choice.
Vic (Sacramento, 916,722-9692

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: