Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Landing Stalls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

The best part of this list is the way we share ideas. Also could we all just call it a "stall" that is really what it is.

My understanding is that new pilots have a problem with how quickly these planes slow from flying speed to a stall. There is also the comfort level of seeing a rather panoramic view of the ground coming up at them real fast. This is a fault of a Kolb (so to speak) because it has such great visibility. The result is that people have this inborn and in the case of GA pilots "training " that has them fairing too high. Some new flyer just E-mailed us about this very issue very accurately describing it.

I think that new pilots should set up their approach that has the lowest decent rate/angle and gives the new pilot them most time to pull up and adjust to a good landing flair. This can best be accomplished with no flaps and some power. Flaps do two things, they increase the decent rate/angle and they increase the rate of speed that these planes slow down. You can set up gentle approach with flaps but you have to greatly increase the power accomplish it. The main problem is loosing power on approach would be a bad thing. The more power you have to depend on the worse it could be. Flaps also produce more drag than they reduce stall speed. Using flaps will slow the plane quicker than the reduced stall speed will help.

Also someone suggested using slips and throttle to get to their desired landing point. Slips are less effective than flaps so why not use flaps. adjusting power, primarily increasing power greatly increases the odds of a power failure. I believe the rule is that if you change the throttle on approach it should only be to reduced power. Flaps can be moved in and out as necessary on approach to get to your desired landing point. You just have to adjust your pitch according to your flap usage.

As always worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

At 12:07 PM 3/17/2008, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:

Quote:
My understanding is that new pilots have a problem with how quickly these planes slow from flying speed to a stall. There is also the comfort level of seeing a rather panoramic view of the ground coming up at them real fast...

My background is GA (Taylorcraft, mostly) but that was 15 years ago... but 10 hours flying a borrowed Quicksilver got me more than ready for my first flight in my UltraStar. Compared to a GA bird, the Quick's kinda like a Kolb, only more so (you just dive at the runway, 'cuz no matter what you do it's not going to float!).

-Dana
--
"640K of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981 [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

Dana:

Not to disagree, too much, but Kolbs will also float, especially when you do not want them to. If you are in a tight situation and your Kolb has no brakes, the Kolbs will float forever.

Amazing what ground effect and Kolbs will do. Get her right down there a foot or so off the sod and she will float.

My MKIII with 40 degrees of flaps and it will float. One of the secrets of getting a Kolb to float is to shoot your approach a little hotter than normal.

I judge others landing mistakes by my own many times. This flight to TNK and back I had a lot of time to think and to fly and land. We were taught to hover a rotary wing by looking out ahead of the aircraft, not down at the ground. We were taught to land them the same way, looking out ahead of the aircraft. Landing a Kolb is no different in this respect. Look out at the end of the runway when landing and the Kolb will gentlely kiss moma earth. Look down at the ground where she is going to drop in, and that is probably what she will do. Try it both ways and see what happens. Hard to judge distance looking down.

john h
mkIII

[quote] Compared to a GA bird, the Quick's kinda like a Kolb, only more so (you just dive at the runway, 'cuz no matter what you do it's not going to float!).

-Dana

[b]

Titus, Alabama
a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

I'm trying to remember in navy flight training, pre jets!, that we were told to look out of cockpit, 30-30...meaning 30 degrees down, and 30 from straight ahead on landing. My old eyeballs got no calibration markers left, but some residuals work fer me....never bent gear legs on FireFly.

regards,
Bob N.    FireFly 070 Old Kolb
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/

[quote][b]

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

That makes a ton of sence, a lot more than I expected. I'd have to digest it for a altering my opinion.
But I also have to disagree about changing the flap setting on short final, particulary retracting them if you are short. I adjusting power to adjust desired landing point. You'd think we were in different sports.
[quote] From: NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Kolb-List: Landing Stalls
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:07:01 -0400

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} The best part of this list is the way we share ideas. Also could we all just call it a "stall" that is really what it is.

My understanding is that new pilots have a problem with how quickly these planes slow from flying speed to a stall. There is also the comfort level of seeing a rather panoramic view of the ground coming up at them real fast. This is a fault of a Kolb (so to speak) because it has such great visibility. The result is that people have this inborn and in the case of GA pilots "training " that has them fairing too high. Some new flyer just E-mailed us about this very issue very accurately describing it.

I think that new pilots should set up their approach that has the lowest decent rate/angle and gives the new pilot them most time to pull up and adjust to a good landing flair. This can best be accomplished with no flaps and some power. Flaps do two things, they increase the decent rate/angle and they increase the rate of speed that these planes slow down. You can set up gentle approach with flaps but you have to greatly increase the power accomplish it. The main problem is loosing power on approach would be a bad thing. The more power you have to depend on the worse it could be. Flaps also produce more drag than they reduce stall speed. Using flaps will slow the plane quicker than the reduced stall speed will help.

Also someone suggested using slips and throttle to get to their desired landing point. Slips are less effective than flaps so why not use flaps. adjusting power, primarily increasing power greatly increases the odds of a power failure. I believe the rule is that if you change the throttle on approach it should only be to reduced power. Flaps can be moved in and out as necessary on approach to get to your desired landing point. You just have to adjust your pitch according to your flap usage.

As always worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen

[quote] ---

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

At 01:49 PM 3/17/2008, John Hauck wrote:
Quote:
Dana:

Not to disagree, too much, but Kolbs will also float, especially when you do not want them to. If you are in a tight situation and your Kolb has no brakes, the Kolbs will float forever

Actually it was the Quicksilver I was referring to that didn't float-- at all. My US isn't that bad, though nothing compared to my old T-Craft... T-Crafts were notorious floaters.

With only 10 hours in it, I'm still working out my preferred technique in the US, what with no flaps and slips not really doing much of anything except changing the angle the wind hits my face Smile

-Dana

--
If aliens are smart enough to travel through space, why do they keep abducting the dumbest people on earth? [quote][b]

Wade Lawicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

Dana,
Depends on what model Quick, I have a 2 place Sprint that with float for what feels like forever! Of course that is comparing it to my FS.

Fly Safe,
Wade

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

David/All

I need to proof read better.

Actually I expected someone to react more to the suggestion of using flaps. When I told my check ride instructor about it he said NO!!!! you never ever retract flaps on final. OK some common sense. First, don't do this while nibbling at stall. Also, I like to stabilize my approach on short final, so short final.... not real short.

There is a somewhat common myth that you will stall if you retract your flaps on final. Think about it, when you raise your flaps you are effectively reducing the angle of attack of the wing. It is angle of attack that causes a stall. In a Kolb when you raise the flaps on final you will get a bit of pitch up trim change and the plane will increase speed rather quickly. As the speed increases you will want to raise the nose a bit to keep your speed under control but don't over control. Practice this a bit at altitude.

Set up a high altitude approach. Lower your flaps and lower the nose of your plane. Raise the flaps and raise the nose. Try to keep your approach speed constant. Notice the change in the potential landing point. It works well and no, the plane never comes close to stalling.

A few years ago I had a engine out on the way back form Oshkosh. I had practiced the variable flap approach and had discussed a no flap engine out landing with the Kolb guys in the Ultralight campground so I had a plan fixed in my mind when it happened. I picked a landing spot and used the flaps to put me exactly where I wanted to land. I never locked the flaps in any notch but used it like someone would use a throttle to adjust my glide slope. When I had my landing spot made I fully retracted my flaps and made one of my best landings ever. Yes I could have landed slower with flaps but I'm not that great a pilot and landing with no power and no flaps is just like landing with one notch of flaps and some power. I normally land with some power and one notch of flaps. In an emergency why make it more difficult?

When you have and engine out you don't have a throttle to adjust your glide slope. So why not practice what you might need someday. Also changing throttle settings especially increasing the throttle on final isn't a real good idea IF there is a better way.

Yes it is the same sport.

Again worth what you paid for it.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
[quote] ---

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net wrote:
David/All

Actually I expected someone to react more to the suggestion of using flaps. When I told my check ride instructor about it he said NO!!!! you never ever retract flaps on final. OK some common sense. First, don't do this while nibbling at stall. Also, I like to stabilize my approach on short final, so short final.... not real short.

I actually had never used the technique of retracting the flaps on the landing approach until it was showed to me on my BFR last year. It was in the 172 and the situation was simulated engine out and I'd put too much flaps in to make the landing spot. He told me to take 10 degs out and see what happened......

Now I do it all the time in the titan in case I'm coming up short with too much flaps out and I'm practicing energy management (i.e. don't want to add power). It works perfectly and makes sense as well - if you have too much drag, but you have enough potential energy (altitude) to make the landing with a lower drag config... why not reconfigure to the lower drag config?

Another interesting exercise is to do a low fly by in the flare attitude and at a little above landing speeds with the flaps out. Then slowly start nursing the flaps up but continue to maintain altitude (a foot or two). A real eye opener which really tests your abilities with the power and elevator.....

There, that ought to start some flame mail Wink

LS

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

Couple of things
You said "when you raise your flaps you are effectively reducing the angle of attack of the wing. It is angle of attack that causes a stall. In a Kolb when you raise the flaps on final you will get a bit of pitch up trim change and the plane will increase speed rather quickly"

On my plane if I l raise my flaps I'm lowering the angle of attack of the wing.
On my plane if I raise my flaps the plane will speed up.
On my plane if I raise my flaps lift is decreased and the plane it is likely to go down. (try it over the runway at 10 feet or so)
On my plane if I raise my flaps and I'm under Vs then the plane will stall immeadatly.

I'm encouraged that your instructor agrees that it is not good pratice to tool with the flaps on final.
Subject: Re: Landing Stalls
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:45:58 -0400

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} David/All

Actually I expected someone to react more to the suggestion of using flaps. When I told my check ride instructor about it he said NO!!!! you never ever retract flaps on final. OK some common sense. First, don't do this while nibbling at stall. Also, I like to stabilize my approach on short final, so short final... not real short.

There is a somewhat common myth that you will stall if you retract your flaps on final. Think about it, when you raise your flaps you are effectively reducing the angle of attack of the wing. It is angle of attack that causes a stall. In a Kolb when you raise the flaps on final you will get a bit of pitch up trim change and the plane will increase speed rather quickly. As the speed increases you will want to raise the nose a bit to keep your speed under control but don't over control. Practice this a bit at altitude.

Set up a high altitude approach. Lower your flaps and lower the nose of your plane. Raise the flaps and raise the nose. Try to keep your approach speed constant. Notice the change in the potential landing point. It works well and no, the plane never comes close to stalling.

A few years ago I had a engine out on the way back form Oshkosh. I had practiced the variable flap approach and had discussed a no flap engine out landing with the Kolb guys in the Ultralight campground so I had a plan fixed in my mind when it happened. I picked a landing spot and used the flaps to put me exactly where I wanted to land. I never locked the flaps in any notch but used it like someone would use a throttle to adjust my glide slope. When I had my landing spot made I fully retracted my flaps and made one of my best landings ever. Yes I could have landed slower with flaps but I'm not that great a pilot and landing with no power and no flaps is just like landing with one notch of flaps and some power. I normally land with some power and one notch of flaps. In an emergency why make it more difficult?

When you have and engine out you don't have a throttle to adjust your glide slope. So why not practice what you might need someday. Also changing throttle settings especially increasing the throttle on final isn't a real good idea IF there is a better way.

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

I mean I'm increasing my angle of attack. Which means I am closer to stallling.

[quote] From: dhkey(at)msn.com
Subject: RE: Kolb-List: Landing Stalls
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:02:27 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Couple of things
You said "when you raise your flaps you are effectively reducing the angle of attack of the wing. It is angle of attack that causes a stall. In a Kolb when you raise the flaps on final you will get a bit of pitch up trim change and the plane will increase speed rather quickly"

On my plane if I l raise my flaps I'm lowering the angle of attack of the wing.
On my plane if I raise my flaps the plane will speed up.
On my plane if I raise my flaps lift is decreased and the plane it is likely to go down. (try it over the runway at 10 feet or so)
On my plane if I raise my flaps and I'm under Vs then the plane will stall immeadatly.

I'm encouraged that your instructor agrees that it is not good pratice to tool with the flaps on final.
Subject: Re: Landing Stalls
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:45:58 -0400

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass EC_BODY.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} David/All

Actually I expected someone to react more to the suggestion of using flaps. When I told my check ride instructor about it he said NO!!!! you never ever retract flaps on final. OK some common sense. First, don't do this while nibbling at stall. Also, I like to stabilize my approach on short final, so short final... not real short.

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

Let me be perfectly clear I don't/didn't recommend anyone be messing with their flaps on short final let alone at 10 ft and certainly not near stall speed.

I'm just trying to share information. I'm not sure what someone else is doing. Subject closed from my end.

PLEASE Do Not Archive

Rick Neilsen
[quote] ---

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Landing Stalls Reply with quote

Don't forget that deployed flaps DECREASE the airspeed at which you STALL(You can fly slower) so if you are at or near stall and retract your flaps(INCREASES stall speed)....you will likely stall instantly.

Conversely, once you have touched down, retracting flap will help prevent ballooning back into the air if a gust comes down the runway at you.

If you want to play with the flap settings on final you need to carry extra speed to allow a greater safety margin above stall....else you run out of height and speed at the same time.....and we know how much grief and pain THAT causes from watching the Road Runner and Coyote get it on!

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: