Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MKIII X
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Morning Gang:

Weather at TNK is lousy! Got up this morning to 34F and now, several hours later, it is a blazing 35F. Well, one good thing, the wind is calm.

I flew up to TNK last week, put some ground time on the 912ULS to insure it was going to continue to make good power once I committed to flight. Took me three days to get back home, about 340 sm.

Left last Wed to rtn to TNK. Got some flight time Thursday. Worked out a few bugs, even though the wind was kicking ass. Friday got more time and continued to tweek the X, again in uncomfortable winds which are not conducive to initial test flying. Yesterday I got an hour on a flight to London, Williamsburn and return to TNK. It was rough and cold. Could not feel my fingers by the time I landed at TNK.

Today is another washout, as far as test flying is concerned, as will be tomorrow. Forecast is snow.

I am flying without the droop tips initially. The X has amazing lift based on a 13 foot wing panel. That is the same length wing as the FSII which has a two foot bow tip.

The X is stalling at 36mph with power off at 2600 feet ASL. It floats halfway down the 2200 foot grass strip at TNK. I have made about 20 landings without any inidication that the X is going to fall out of the sky at 10 feet above the ground. In ground effect, this airplane floats, even with the chopped off outboard wing tips at this time.

It is cruising about 85 mph at 5000 rpm, which is great considering the 3 blade Warp Drive Prop, 70", is pitched very light. I am turning 5400 to 5500 on takeoff. Straight and level it will turn about 5600 rpm.

It climbs like a Kolb, flies like a Kolb, and lands like a Kolb.

Took a big old rudder trim tab to control adverse yaw created by the 912ULS.

We still have to work on the pitch trim system. Need stiffer springs.

Tailwheel springs are way too soft for proper ground control. Needs a set of Maule Tailwheel Springs to get the job done. Even better would be a larger tailwheel on this extremely wet and soft field I am flying out of.

I have not gotten around to testing the flap system because of extreme turbulence. Soon as we get a break in winds, I'll go to work on that. I am anxious to see what she will slow down to with flaps, then get the droop tips installed and find out how she performs.

I'm using my lap top at Travis' desk in the shop. Fingers are turning blue. Time to head back to the 5th wheel and warm up again.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
Labhart Field, KY

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

Thanks for the Report John H ,

I fell in love with those new wings and droop tips ever since I saw that MK III Xtra at Sun and Fun last year. Increasing wingspan usually improves a planes performance, and from your report it sounds like it is working for the MK III Xtra. I cant wait to hear how it does with the wingtips attached. If your flight tests indicate a major improvement in performance, I will do the work to modify my wings to increase the span and put droop tips on my Kolb.

The one thing I was unsure about were the Aileron cables, how do they feel, any feeling of stiffness, or play, or not being up to the job ?

On my MK III Xtra, I had a pitch down trim condition and had to change the incidence on my Horizontal Stabilizer to 7.5 degrees down, almost double of what Kolb specifies. I also had to put trim tabs on with a bit of up trim to spread the load over horizontal stab and elevators evenly. It will now fly great with stock springs. Attached are pictures...

85 MPH cruise is fast ! What RPM are you using to cruise at that speed, and what RPM do you climb out at ??

I am looking forward to your report of how much the wingtips help, and also how the plane handles in calm air.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

UltralightKolbMikeTailModDetail07-11-2007-21.JPG
 Description:
Brackets I built to move the leading edge of the Horzontal Stab down to 7.5 degrees and fix trim problem.
 Filesize:  192.38 KB
 Viewed:  463 Time(s)

UltralightKolbMikeTailModDetail07-11-2007-21.JPG

UltralightKolbDetailTrimTabs12-30-2007-03.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  249.54 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

UltralightKolbDetailTrimTabs12-30-2007-03.JPG

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

"If your flight tests indicate a major improvement in performance, I will do the work to modify my wings to increase the span and put droop tips on my Kolb.
85 MPH cruise is fast ! What RPM are you using to cruise at that speed, and what RPM do you climb out at ??

The one thing I was unsure about were the Aileron cables, how do they feel, any feeling of stiffness, or play, or not being up to the job ?

Mike B"

Mike B:

If you want the new X wing you will have to build them. They use a 13' main spar instead of an 11'. Probably would not be wise to try and splice two feet of 6" tubing to the end of what you already have.

I mentioned cruise and climb rpm in my original post above.

I am pleased with the new Morse Cable aileron controls. We are still adjusting attach points on the rear aileron bell crank to get the mechanical advantage to suit me.

Seems to me you have probably gone overboard on lowering the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. That may be killing your cruise speed. Learning how to set up a Kolb has a lot to do with how it performs. I know of two other MKIII Classics that cruise same as my mkIII. They are also configured the same as mine. One is powered with an 80 and the other with a 100 hp Rotax.

If it was my airplane, I'd double up on the pitch trim springs and get the horizontal stabilizer back up a bit. Changing the angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer also changes the ability of the aircraft to stabilize in cruise flight. When mine is too low, it feels like it is flying on a ball, wanting to slide off fore and aft.

Another thing that may be reducing cruise on your airplane is the open area above and behind the cockpit. If you are flying with partial doors, that will also cut cruise. My mkIII is covered from top to bottom and the doors are complete. I am fully enclosed.

I have said this many times. Some folks with low time in Kolbs can screw them up so badly they fly like a dog turd. Probably because they think they know how to improve it before they get enough time in it to know the airplane in the first place. Thinking you have a lot of experience in a Kolb is not the same as flying and grinding out those hours. I feel I got to know Kolbs better because I have spent a lot of time flying and experimenting in the air and on the ground with them. It didn't happen because I thought I knew best. It happened because I made a lot of mistakes, did a lot of experimenting on my own, because there was no one else to go to for help. I think Brother Jim and I have done a pretty fair job of learning about these little Kolb airplanes. If not, I would not be flying them today.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
Labhart Field, Ky

Titus, Alabama
Possums

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

At 04:39 PM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the Report John H ,

I fell in love with those new wings and droop tips ever since I saw
that MK III Xtra at Sun and Fun last year.

Here is another way to do them so you don't get that
rattle out in the wings tips after 100 hours when the little braces break.
Also carries out the lift to the tips.

1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.45 KB
 Viewed:  470 Time(s)

1.JPG

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.03 KB
 Viewed:  431 Time(s)

2.jpg

3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.57 KB
 Viewed:  434 Time(s)

3.JPG

4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.53 KB
 Viewed:  448 Time(s)

4.JPG

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

Looking at the bracket picture....

You've got Steel brackets....Stainless Steel angle brackets...

Then you make an aluminum connection ??

You've even got the aluminum "Scored" in it's weakest point....?
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Dad blast it, Possum!! Now, I've got another change to do to my wings, before I cover them!!

Mike Welch

> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:10:34 -0400
Quote:
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: MKIII X

At 04:39 PM 3/23/2008, you wrote:
>--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>
>
>Thanks for the Report John H ,
>
>I fell in love with those new wings and droop tips ever since I saw
>that MK III Xtra at Sun and Fun last year.

Here is another way to do them so you don't get that
rattle out in the wings tips after 100 hours when the little braces break.
Also carries out the lift to the tips.

In a rush? Get real-time answers with Windows Live Messenger. [quote][b]

Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/23/2008 8:31:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
planecrazzzy(at)yahoo.com writes:

Looking at the bracket picture....

You've got Steel brackets....Stainless Steel angle brackets...

Then you make an aluminum connection ??

You've even got the aluminum "Scored" in it's weakest point....?
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

I plan on enclosing that area behind the cockpit with aluminum like you did and putting a V back there to get smoother airflow, I already have the materials, just have not had the time to do it. I have full doors on, just like the configuration you are flying right now.

I have tried the Horizontal tail at the 4 degrees, but felt like all the load was on the elevator. My Kolb flew fine both ways, and I did not notice much of a speed change, but I wasn't really looking for that either, so I will have to test fly that again and pay attention to any speed differences.

Splicing an extra two feet of spar on is exactly what I was thinking of doing. The stress on the spar towards the wingtips is minimal, I think a well done splice would be more than strong enough to add just two more feet of spar on each tip. I hope the weather improves for you, I am looking forward to hearing more about how your tests are going.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

At 01:39 PM 3/23/08 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:

On my MK III Xtra, I had a pitch down trim condition and had to change the
incidence on my Horizontal Stabilizer to 7.5 degrees down, almost double of

what Kolb specifies. I also had to put trim tabs on with a bit of up trim
to spread the load over horizontal stab and elevators evenly. It will now
fly great with stock springs. Attached are pictures...
Quote:

Mike,

What is the angle difference between the bottom of the wing and the
horizontal stabilizer? This difference relationship is what is important.
In the FireFly the distance from the boom tube front mounting ring to the
cage cross hole is very short. This being so, a small cross hole offset or
warp in the cage can make a large difference at the tail position.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Jack,

I think I just figured out Mike B wing angle setting problem. After talking to Brian (at) TNK Tech Support, awhile back,
he explained to me that with the redesign of the Xtra's wedge nose, this produced a huge "nose
down" phenomenon, when compared to higher setting for a Classic, hence the relocation angle of the main wings, compared to a Classic. I am under the impression Mike B's wings are too high, pitching down the fuselage wedge, and requiring a significant deviation of the hor. stab.'s angle from normal.

The incidence measurements I got from Brian SHOULD be what Mike B's plane should be set at.

Mike Welch

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:44:37 -0500
Quote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jack B. Hart" <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net>

At 01:39 PM 3/23/08 -0700, you wrote:
>--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>
>.....................
>On my MK III Xtra, I had a pitch down trim condition and had to change the
incidence on my Horizontal Stabilizer to 7.5 degrees down, almost double of
what Kolb specifies. I also had to put trim tabs on with a bit of up trim
to spread the load over horizontal stab and elevators evenly. It will now
fly great with stock springs. Attached are pictures...
>.............................

Mike,

What is the angle difference between the bottom of the wing and the
horizontal stabilizer? This difference relationship is what is important.
In the FireFly the distance from the boom tube front mounting ring to the
cage cross hole is very short. This being so, a small cross hole offset or
warp in the cage can make a large difference at the tail position.

Jack B. Hart FF===========

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win. [quote][b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

Mike,

Can you post the wing incidence angles you got from Brian ? According to the numbers I have, my wings are dead on at + 3 degrees, and the boom is also right on. I am supposed to have the Xtra numbers, but it wont hurt to confirm them.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
travis(at)tnkolbaircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Mike W:

I think you will find as you get some time in Kolbs, which is a pusher, the problem with nose down pitch is the high thrust line coupled with the pusher configuration. The more power applied to that high "lever", the more nose up pitch trim the aircraft will require to take pressure off the stick.

My mkIII with no power flies level with no pitch trim. As soon as the power starts coming up, the nose will want to go down and nose up pitch will be required to take pressure off the stick.

Now......add a passenger in the other seat and it takes a great deal more nose up pitch trim to take pressure off the stick.

Wing incidence doesn't affect pitch trim, as far as I know.

Kolbs are different animals than many other aircraft. Takes a little time and a lot of flying to get to know them well. I am still learning. Learned something new the other day with the new X.

john h - Snow coming down and 38F.
mkIII
Labhart Field, KY
[quote] Classic. I am under the impression Mike B's wings are too high, pitching down the fuselage wedge, and requiring a significant deviation of the hor. stab.'s angle from normal.

Mike Welch

[b]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

John H.

I am aware of the nose down tendency of the raised rear engine mount. Although my experience with
this tendency is very faded. It has been a few years since I was training to fly a Quicksilver MXII, w/582.

But, is this "nose down" force real significant? I just can't recall, myself.

What I was getting at was my conversation with Brain, where he stated that when TNK was doing the
initial flight testing of the Xtra, they evidently hadn't remounted the leading edge position of the h.stab. &
main wings, yet. It appears as thought the wedge design was "plowing" into the air, creating a tremendous
nose down force (with the hor. stab. and the main wings not relocated yet from the higher Classic position.)

One thing I am NOT is an authority on much. You want to know about concrete and building, I'm your man!!!
But, when it comes to building and flying Kolbs, I'm a novice at best.  Pretty much all of the performance,
characteristics, tendencies, etc. of a Kolb is/will be new to me. One thing I have is an open mind, to listen
to the advice of others, especially those that do know what the hell they're talking about.

Something still seems to be a little off regarding Mike B's plane.  85 mph top speed, with the 912S, strikes me
he has something out of whack. Wing settings, prop pitch, something. 

These are all the bugs I want ironed out of my plane prior to the first flight!!! I assume nothing!!

Mike Welch

do not archive

Quote:
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:48:29 -0400

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Mike W:

I think you will find as you get some time in Kolbs, which is a pusher, the problem with nose down pitch is the high thrust line coupled with the pusher configuration. The more power applied to that high "lever", the more nose up pitch trim the aircraft will require to take pressure off the stick.

My mkIII with no power flies level with no pitch trim. As soon as the power starts coming up, the nose will want to go down and nose up pitch will be required to take pressure off the stick.

Now......add a passenger in the other seat and it takes a great deal more nose up pitch trim to take pressure off the stick.

Wing incidence doesn't affect pitch trim, as far as I know.

Kolbs are different animals than many other aircraft. Takes a little time and a lot of flying to get to know them well.  I am still learning. Learned something new the other day with the new X.

john h - Snow coming down and 38F.
mkIII
Labhart Field, KY
Quote:
Classic. I am under the impression Mike B's wings are too high, pitching down the fuselage wedge, and requiring a significant deviation of the hor. stab.'s angle from normal.

Mike Welch

get=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
p://forums.matronics.com
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Test your Star IQ Play now! [quote][b]

Wade Lawicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

Possum,
Are you going to mention what aircraft those tips are on ; )

Fly Safe,
Wade

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Mike

I had a conversation with Barnaby Wilifan at Oshkosh the year New Kolb introduced the MKIIIX (Barnaby did the design for the Xtra). He indicated that he wanted Kolb to raise the nose a bit because he felt it was flying a bit nose low creating more drag than he wanted to see. I don't know if Kolb reduced the angle of attack of the wing but a few other things would need to be changed like longer gear legs and reposition the horizontal stabilizer. Not sure if it is related but when you buy the longer gear legs for the Xtra the factory wants you to lower the angle of attack on the wing.

Most 80 HP Rotax MKIIICs and my VW powered MKIIIC cruise at 75MPH. The factory claims 10 MPH improvement with the Xtra so 85MPH seems about right. I know when I have flown cross country with the 100HP MKIIIC guys they are always giving me a rough time about how slow my plane is. I think a 100 HP MKIIIC cruises about 80.

Again worth what you paid for it

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

I fell in love with those new wings and droop tips ever since I saw
Quote:
that MK III Xtra at Sun and Fun last year.>>

That is an Xtra?. With a nosewheel? Huh?

Pat

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: MKIII X Reply with quote

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co wrote:

Something still seems to be a little off regarding Mike B's plane.� 85 mph top speed, with the 912S, strikes me
he has something out of whack. Wing settings, prop pitch, something.�

Mike Welch

Mike,

I did not mean to imply that my top speed was 85 MPH, I was trying to say that to go that fast, it took a lot of throttle, much more than I like to run at cruise which is about half.

I have never gone as fast as the plane would go in level flight, I always back off the throttle when it gets in the 80's... I have just never wanted to go any faster in my Kolb. I did see 90 once by accident, on a steep approach, looking back for the 172 that was behind me on final Smile When I looked foward, speed had crept up to 90 MPH Shocked

Given what John H reported in his first post, I may have my prop pitched to much. I am climbing out at 5200 RPM, I set it based on what he was reporting for his MK III Classic. I might get better performance setting the pitch to climb out at 5400 - 5500 RPM as John has set for the MK III Xtra he is testing now.

Mike Bigelow

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Rick N.,

Those are the specific issues I was referring to, namely the nose down tendency of the Xtra wedge.
Yes, ALL the wings and stabilizers setting are different on the Xtra, compared to a Classic due to this
newer design.

Additionally, if one goes to the newer steel gear legs, which are taller, this also requires a
change in wing position...which requires a stab. reposition.

John H. says that Mike B's plane was built by Bryan Melbourne. Although I don't know much about this
gentleman, from what I understand he is one of the leading Kolb authorities. In other words, he knows
what the heck he's doing. Then why the radical remount of the leading edge of the hor. stab.???

Is it possible, just possible, his wings are mounted in the lower, aluminum gear leg position?

A quick answer to this question is: Mike B, at what location is your wing tabs drilled and mounted?
I was told by Brian that IF you have the steel legs, the tab is drilled at the TOP, on the wing root tab.
Have you checked??

BTW, when Mike B. stated his plane had a serious "nose down" tendency, I understood him to say he
meant during cruise, not just when adding power, the usual action of a high mounted rear engine. I
could be wrong, but that is what I thought he was getting at.

Mike Welch

[quote] From: NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:16:02 -0400

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Mike

I had a conversation with Barnaby Wilifan at Oshkosh the year New Kolb introduced the MKIIIX (Barnaby did the design for the Xtra). He indicated that he wanted Kolb to raise the nose a bit because he felt it was flying a bit nose low creating more drag than he wanted to see. I don't know if Kolb reduced the angle of attack of the wing but a few other things would need to be changed like longer gear legs and reposition the horizontal stabilizer. Not sure if it is related but when you buy the longer gear legs for the Xtra the factory wants you to lower the angle of attack on the wing.

Most 80 HP Rotax MKIIICs and my VW powered MKIIIC cruise at 75MPH. The factory claims 10 MPH improvement with the Xtra so 85MPH seems about right. I know when I have flown cross country with the 100HP MKIIIC guys they are always giving me a rough time about how slow my plane is. I think a 100 HP MKIIIC cruises about 80.

Again worth what you paid for it

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Mike B.

Oh. Okay.

I thought you meant full-out throttle was 85. Ok.

But, I'm still a little curious about the non-OEM suggested hor. stab. mounting
position, though.

Another question I have is: If you DID go 90 mph in your plane, does you're windshield
flex down? Seems like a lot of down force. I was just wondering.

Mike W

> Subject: Re: MKIII X
Quote:
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:27:47 -0700

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co wrote:
>
> Something still seems to be a little off regarding Mike B's plane.� 85 mph top speed, with the 912S, strikes me
> he has something out of whack. Wing settings, prop pitch, something.�
>
> Mike Welch
>
>

Mike,

I did not mean to imply that my top speed was 85 MPH, I was trying to say that to go that fast, it took a lot of throttle, much more than I like to run at cruise which is about half.

I have never gone as fast as the plane would go in level flight, I always back off the throttle when it gets in the 80's... I have just never wanted to go any faster in my Kolb. I did see 90 once by accident, on a steep approach, looking back for the 172 that was behind me on final Smile When I looked foward, speed had crept up to 90 MPH [Shocked]

Given what John H reported in his first post, I may have my prop pitched to much. I am climbing out at 5200 RPM, I set it based on what he was reporting for his MK III Classic. I might get better performance setting the pitch to climb out at 5400 - 5500 RPM as John has set for the MK III Xtra he is testing now.

Mike Bigelow

--------
&quot;NO FEAR&quot; - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=172262#172262

====================

Quote:

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about realM/MTV/?source=text_watchcause' target='_new'>Learn more. [quote][b]

travis(at)tnkolbaircraft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: MKIII X Reply with quote

Rick N:

I know of four, no five MKIII's that cruise 85 mph at 5,000 with 80 and 100 hp engines.

My MKIII was initially powered with a 65 hp Rotax, then an 80 and now a 100. Cruise was 80 mph, 85 mph, and 88 mph at normal cruise rpm which was 5,800 for the two stroke and 5,000 for the 912's.

Take care,

john h
mkIII
Labhart Field, KY - Getting ready to get some more time in the X. Sun has broken through and the wind has died down a bit.
[quote] know when I have flown cross country with the 100HP MKIIIC guys they are always giving me a rough time about how slow my plane is. I think a 100 HP MKIIIC cruises about 80.

Rick Neilsen

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: