Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitplanes Editorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottarden(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Kitplanes Editorial Reply with quote

Hey Listers!
I received my new Kitplanes Magazine yesterday. The Editorial was a little sobering. As one who is on the verge of writing a check for a Lightning kit, I'm a little concerned about the proposed rule. I agree wholeheartedly with the author in that with the advent of the quickbuild kits and factory regulated builder assist, we have created a new generation of very safe airplanes. Ones that come much closer to a factory built bird than when we all bought a set of plans and started cutting wood!

Is there anything we can do or anyone that you guys know we can contact to help stave off this attack on quality homebuilding? I don't know for sure, but I am pretty positive that the Lightning builder assist is NOT "pay me your money and I'll build your airplane for you". In fact, my impression is that you spend very long days working very hard on every aspect of your airplane, with verbal guidance and an extra pair of hands. I hope I am correct and the B/A program can continue intact. As far as the 51% goes, it seems that the Lightning meets that and I'd hate to have to add more tasks in building, especially with critical components that the factory has done for us.

Any comments?? Lets attack this if we can!
--
Have a blessed day!
Scott C. Arden

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Kitplanes Editorial Reply with quote

Scott,
The reason for the look at a rule change is because of a move to "builder assist" programs which include a pressurized turboprop and a light jet. This is obviously beyond what the majority of builders can achieve. I have witnessed a lot of Lightning builder assists and those guys mainly are there for answering questions and help out when you're stuck. I do remember that Pete said that when they designed it they wanted an uncomplex build that would definately meet the 51% rule. Hope this helps, Brian W.

Quote:
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 07:14:55 -0700
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Kitplanes Editorial

--> Lightning-List message posted by: <scottarden(at)cox.net>

Hey Listers!
I received my new Kitplanes Magazine yesterday. The Editorial was a little sobering. As one who is on the verge of writing a check for a Lightning kit, I'm a little concerned about the proposed rule. I agree wholeheartedly with the author in that with the advent of the quickbuild kits and factory regulated builder assist, we have created a new generation of very safe airplanes. Ones that come much closer to a factory built bird than when we all bought a set of plans and started cutting wood!

Is there anything we can do or anyone that you guys know we can contact to help stave off this attack on quality homebuilding? I don't know for sure, but I am pretty positive that the Lightning builder assist is NOT "pay me your money and I'll build your airplane for you". In fact, my impression is that you spend very long days working very hard on every aspect of your airplane, with verbal guidance and an extra pair of hands. I hope I am correct and the B/A program can continue intact. As far as the 51% goes, it seems that the Lightning meets that and I'd hate to have to add more tasks in building, especially with critical components that the factory has done for us.

Any comments?? Lets attack this if we can!
--
Have a blessed day!
Scott C. Arden

=======================
&g==================

Quote:

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real peopl?source=text_watchcause' target='_new'>Learn more. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pete(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Kitplanes Editorial Reply with quote

Scott,

Nothing is going to happen until October when the FAA study group presents
its proposal. Then depending on what the proposal is there will be possibly
an NPRM and comment period to consider the effects of any new rule proposal.
The process will take some time to work out. So in the short term there is
plenty of time to buy a Lightning and get it built and certified before any
rule changes take place.

While all this work is going on it would be a good idea to write your
Congressmen and Senators to urge them to ask the FAA to leave the actual
homebuilt or amateur built rule alone since it has proven out quite well
over the years.

Pete

--

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Kitplanes Editorial Reply with quote

I can also see where the EAA could make one heck of a petition for this type of a thing. I expect they will have a large support in the lobbying process.

[quote] From: pete(at)flylightning.net
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Kitplanes Editorial
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:05:29 -0500

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Pete" <pete(at)flylightning.net>

Scott,

Nothing is going to happen until October when the FAA study group presents
its proposal. Then depending on what the proposal is there will be possibly
an NPRM and comment period to consider the effects of any new rule proposal.
The process will take some time to work out. So in the short term there is
plenty of time to buy a Lightning and get it built and certified before any
rule changes take place.

While all this work is going on it would be a good idea to write your
Congressmen and Senators to urge them to ask the FAA to leave the actual
homebuilt or amateur built rule alone since it has proven out quite well
over the years.

Pete

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: