Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steel legs and wheel pants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

Kolb guys and a couple of ladies,

I am just about to wrap up most of my (latest) modifications to my MkIII Classic. The most recent accomplishment was finishing the steel gear legs, and then installing the wheel pants.

The final result on the gear legs is 3.4 degrees positive camber. The fuselage was raised about 5 inches, but to be honest, I haven't actually measured the old ones, to compare to the new height, yet. The flat bottom of the wheel pants are set at 5.7 degrees, with the boom raised to flying position. I must admit, all the fabrication for the wheel pants mounts was quite a bit of work. But they are absolutely solid!! I wouldn't hesitate landing on grass, if I ever get to fly this thing.

Now I have to remove the gear legs, and send them off to Salt Lake City, for heat treatment to Rockwell 48.
Once they get back, I will make small fiberglass "brake caliper covers/fairings" that go on the wheel pants, to steamline the disk brake openings.

Like I said, my modifications are almost finished. Very soon, I hope to finally begin covering the wings with
fabric. One thing I will do, prior to covering the wings, is to install mounts for the droop tips I intend on adding.

It is getting harder and harder to find the MkIII Classic in my shop. What do ya think??

Mike Welch
MkIII

My thanks to Rex Rodebush and John Bickham, for their help in suppying me with drawings, pictures, dimensions, etc., for the steel gear legs.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Finished_wheel_pants_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.98 KB
 Viewed:  279 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants_001.jpg

Finished_wheel_pants_006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.57 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants_006.jpg

Finished_wheel_pants_007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41 KB
 Viewed:  271 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants_007.jpg

Finished_wheel_pants_frontal_view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.04 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants_frontal_view.jpg

Finished_wheel_pants-side_view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.01 KB
 Viewed:  274 Time(s)

Finished_wheel_pants-side_view.jpg

NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

Mike

Looks great. Do you have any detailed photos of your wheel pants mount? I
have no problem steeling others ideas. Some day I will put pants on my
plane. I will need to make them easily removable because they need to be
removed to put my plane in my trailer.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike

Looks great. Do you have any detailed photos of your wheel pants mount? I
have no problem steeling others ideas. Some day I will put pants on my
plane. I will need to make them easily removable because they need to be
removed to put my plane in my trailer.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

Hi Rick,

No, I don't have any photos of the actual mounts yet. Whe I take them apart in a couple of days
to send the legs off for heat treating, I will takes some photos of the mounting system.

Essentially, the mounts that I built were exactly like on my Cessna. On the inside of the wheel pant, you first have to cut clearance for the brake caliper. Once that opening is established and cut, mount nutplates around the perimeter of the opening. Because I knew I was going to make an external plate that mounts to the outside, also, I made sure to drill through BOTH plates and around the opening, for the nutplates, all at the same time. (You'll see what I mean when I post pictures of the pieces.)

So, with 8 nutplates installed, and the matching external mounting plate fastened to the wheel pant, cut a small steel plate/tab that will weld to your axle fitting. This is the tab that becomes the true wheel pant attach point on the inside of the wheel. Once you have the wheel pant adjusted in position, put a weld around it. After it is welded in place, drill 4 more holes in the steel tab, through to the external plate, and then mount 4 more nutplates to the aluminum external plate.

If any of this sounds confusing, it really isn't, if you had pictures of what you were after. It is an easy design, and the wheel pant is removable for either the wheel pant only, or as an entire wheel/wheel pant unit.

I bought my wheel pants from the guy that original equipment fiberglass parts for many ultralight/ airplane companies. His work is impecable. The wheel pants come with a beautiful shiny gel coat finish. I think they cost me around $160....plus maybe $20 for the s/h.

I will put together a step by step construction method, with templates and pictures in a day or so.

Mike Welch

craig.nelson(at)heraeus.c

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

I am just about to wrap up most of my (latest) modifications to my
MkIII Classic. The most recent accomplishment was finishing the steel
gear legs, and then installing the wheel pants.
Mike
I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you make em or did you buy em. Where can
I get a set?
uncle craig
Do not archive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike
I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you make em or did you buy em. Where can
I get a set?
uncle craig
Do not archive

Uncle Craig,

I assume you are referring to the wheel pants. The steel gear legs I built from drawings from John Bickham.

I did not make the wheel pants, and they are of exceptionally high quality!! I doubt I could do such a nice job!! Like I said, I think I paid about $160 for the pair, plus shipping. He says he normally makes them with black gel coat. (Yick!!) I waited a few days extra, so he could order WHITE gelcoat. I'm glad I did, too. These will be a finished color for me.

I didn't finish my thought on the earlier email, about where I got them. They are made by a guy named John, who makes OEM fiberglass pods, fairings, wheel pants, etc. for Challengers, Quicksilvers, etc. He does great work, as far as I'm concerned.

I told John I would furnish photos of my final installation, which I did earlier today. He just sent a reply. I asked if he could send me his phone number. He used to have it in his eBay ads. I'll post it if he does. His present eBay ad is this number, #130211299881. Just do an auction search by the auction number. Take a look at lots of photos of his pods, fairings, etc. Nice looking stuff!! I also bought an Instrument Pod from him.

I will post some mounting information in a day or two. I'll think you'll find it helpful.

Did ANYBODY notice my MkIII Classic to MkIII Xtra conversion?? (see photos again) Just curious.

Mike Welch

PS. Recognize that Boom Tube Support? That thing is awesome, sure easy to move around now! Thanks for the design.

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Steel legs and wheel pants Reply with quote

Hey mike Great looking Classic with an Xtra touch you getting closer to being done Keep up the good work

Elery in Maine
do not archive

In a message dated 4/4/2008 4:07:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com writes:
Quote:

I am just about to wrap up most of my (latest) modifications to my MkIII Classic. The most recent accomplishment was finishing the steel gear legs, and then installing the wheel pants.

The final result on the gear legs is 3.4 degrees positive camber. The fuselage was raised about 5 inches, but to be honest, I haven't actually measured the old ones, to compare to the new height, yet. The flat bottom of the wheel pants are set at 5.7 degrees, with the boom raised to flying position. I must admit, all the fabrication for the wheel pants mounts was quite a bit of work. But they are absolutely solid!!  I wouldn't hesitate landing on grass, if I ever get to fly this thing.

Now I have to remove the gear legs, and send them off to Salt Lake City, for heat treatment to Rockwell 48.
Once they get back, I will make small fiberglass "brake caliper covers/fairings" that go on the wheel pants, to steamline the disk brake openings.

Like I said, my modifications are almost finished. Very soon, I hope to finally begin covering the wings with
fabric. One thing I will do, prior to covering the wings, is to install mounts for the droop tips I intend on adding.

It is getting harder and harder to find the MkIII Classic in my shop. What do ya think??

Mike Welch
MkIII

My thanks to Rex Rodebush and John Bickham, for their help in suppying me with drawings, pictures, dimensions, etc., for the steel gear legs.

Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: