Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wonkish cylinder maintenance questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Anybody have a rule of thumb (I know that an actual number of foot-pounds would be too much to ask for) for torquing the bolt the provides the pivot for the rocker arms?

I changed a valve last week and then noticed that my engine was pretty soaked with oil (well, more than usual Smile. Further investigation revealed that a pretty good drip was coming out the side of the rocker arm bolt (er, really more around the edge of the washer on the "head" side of the bolt, to be precise) -- in my zeal to not over-tighten it, I under-tightened it.

So before I just make something up, I thought I'd ask how to do it right.

Bonus question: If I tighten it to a certain point and that doesn't line up with the cotter pin hole, should I go just a little tighter or little looser to the next slit in the castle nut?

And here's a really wonkish question...

In the past, I had placed the cylinder base gasket over the bolts coming out of the block (it's easiest to get it aligned just right) and put the o-ring on the cylinder skirt.

However, the book seems to suggest that you slide the gasket over the skirt and then put the o-ring on after that so that it's all riding on the cylinder when you slide it onto the base bolts.

Anybody got an argument one way or the other? I usually spray my gaskets with that copper-colored sealant to make them slightly tacky -- I haven't had any gaskets blow out since I started using that -- and so it's easier to put the gasket on the block.

And on that, what I learned a while back is that a blown-out cylinder base gasket ups your oil consumption by about 2.5 quarts an hour. Smile

Jon
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
adsavarese(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Jim,
Did you replace the crush washers on the rocker arm bolt? If not, it could very well be the cause of the leak.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Oops. No. Smile (sheepish look)

After I replace them (well, after I get new ones from Doug) ... how tight should they be?

Jon

[quote]From: adsavarese(at)hotmail.com
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:50:17 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Jim,
Did you replace the crush washers on the rocker arm bolt? If not, it could very well be the cause of the leak.
Dennis

[quote] ---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

I don't have the exact torque spec. But Carl/Jill may have it documented somewhere. You can try 25 - 28 ft. pounds or at that range of torque, line up the cotter pin hole in the castellated nut. I will try my sources for a list of engine nuts/bolts torque specs.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Jon,
I verified the torque specification for the rocker arm bolt nuts with the engine overhaul shop. It is as I suggested, 3.5 KGM or 25 ft. pounds.

For those who have ever been looking for the torque specifications for the Russian V530 propeller nuts, it is 12 KGM or 87 ft. pounds.
Dennis

[quote] ---

jonboede(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Thanks!!

I believe that's the same torque on the cylinder base nuts and the torque I've been using on spark plugs.

Jon

[quote]From: dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:10:17 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Jon,
I verified the torque specification for the rocker arm bolt nuts with the engine overhaul shop. It is as I suggested, 3.5 KGM or 25 ft. pounds.

For those who have ever been looking for the torque specifications for the Russian V530 propeller nuts, it is 12 KGM or 87 ft. pounds.
Dennis

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: wonkish cylinder maintenance questions Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct (cylinder base nuts). Actually, the Russian spark plug torque spec is 18-22 ft. lbs.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: