Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanger Interior Design Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Hanger Interior Design Help Reply with quote

Sorry about somewhat off topic, but I was looking for ideas/tips/tricks for things to do in my new hangar. I built a new pole barn type hangar with insulation, drywall, etc on my house and was looking for ideas of what others have done that has worked out well.

So far I have built in compressed air at multiple locations, speakers wired into the walls, plenty of electricity and lighting, cable, and internet. I also have a sink. I was going to make a little FBO area with a couch and TV for when I'm working on the planes and for when others come to visit.

Just looking for any ideas of what others have done to store parts, tools, nice additions, things that worked well and even things that didn't work well. Now is the time for me to incorporate ideas before there is too much stuff in there.

Thanks,
-Mike Kraus
RV-4 Flying
RV-10 FWF and Wiring, once I get the house and hangar finished.....
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
John.Morrissey(at)csiro.a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Hanger Interior Design Help Reply with quote

Geez’s mate – that sounds better than my house – when can I move in J

The only hint I’ll offer is “put everything on wheels” work benches, the lot!

Cheers

Do no Archive

John Morrissey <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Kraus
Sent: Friday, 18 April 2008 12:09 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Hanger Interior Design Help

Sorry about somewhat off topic, but I was looking for ideas/tips/tricks for things to do in my new hangar. I built a new pole barn type hangar with insulation, drywall, etc on my house and was looking for ideas of what others have done that has worked out well.

So far I have built in compressed air at multiple locations, speakers wired into the walls, plenty of electricity and lighting, cable, and internet. I also have a sink. I was going to make a little FBO area with a couch and TV for when I'm working on the planes and for when others come to visit.

Just looking for any ideas of what others have done to store parts, tools, nice additions, things that worked well and even things that didn't work well. Now is the time for me to incorporate ideas before there is too much stuff in there.

Thanks,

-Mike Kraus

RV-4 Flying

Quote:
  - The RV-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Hanger Interior Design Help Reply with quote

Mike Kraus wrote:
Quote:
Message Sorry about somewhat off topic, but I was looking for ideas/tips/tricks for things to do in my new hangar. I built a new pole barn type hangar with insulation, drywall, etc on my house and was looking for ideas of what others have done that has worked out well.

So far I have built in compressed air at multiple locations, speakers wired into the walls, plenty of electricity and lighting, cable, and internet. I also have a sink.
Bathroom? I didn't, and that makes me walk back up to the house ..... where most of my distraction occurs.
Quote:
I was going to make a little FBO area with a couch and TV for when I'm working on the planes and for when others come to visit.

I'm not sure that this is a good thing, When I'm working on my planes I don't want to be interrupted. It makes it difficult to pick up where you paused to be sociable. I got bit once by that very scenario. And all that interruption isn't conducive to getting tasks compleded. Sounds like you have a 'den' with compresssed air!!!
Quote:
Just looking for any ideas of what others have done to store parts, tools,
I built shelves to organize the stuff I don't use often, and have pegboard filled with hanging tools. Easier to find a wrench when it's on the pegboard rather than all mixed up in the toolbox. Those tools that don't lend themselves to pegboarding .... still reside in the toolboxes.
Quote:
nice additions, things that worked well and even things that didn't work well. Now is the time for me to incorporate ideas before there is too much stuff in there.
Good point! I built airconditioned rooms and used the 'roof' to put my shelving and storage areas above. A winch hauls a 'dumbwaiter' up/down so I don't have to carry stuff up a ladder. I also have all my large tools (tablesaw, planer, chopsaw etc. on wheels so I can get them out of the way when not in use. Ditto for all my RV-10 stuff, including the large crates. I do have really heavy stuff .... lathe, mill, bead blast cabinet and hydraulic press are against the back wall ...... they don't move. I haven't run air yet ..... hoses work well from the compressor anywhere in the building because you end up with a hose plugged into the wall anyway.
Linn
do not archive
[quote]
Thanks,
-Mike Kraus
RV-4 Flying
Quote:

[b]

riffeljl(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Hanger Interior Design Help Reply with quote

Mike,
I built a shop inside the hangar so I could build all year long. It's 12'x25' and 8' ceilings. I used 2x12s for ceiling so I could have storage above. Metal racks for parts on 2nd floor with wide steps for carrying parts. The shop walls Do Not connect to the hangar walls (they're free standing). If you connect the shop walls to the hangar walls, then it'll "creek" when the wind blows. It's got a 'window' type heater aircondtioner (essential here in Texas) in the wall at one end. Cheap ceiling fan in middle to save $ on ac. The bottom 1/2 is drywall, the top is all pegboard (easy to hang tools,etc.) The quickstart florencents (for cold weather) are about 2' from the wall so I don't get shaddows on the benches. (don't put them down the middle). Put whiteboard at one end so I could keep notes to myself (I'm old). Airsupply in the middle w/ enough airhose to reach the ends of the shop. Bench next to airsupply has holder for rivet gun/drill/squeezer, etc. Quad outlets about ever 6' (never have enough outlets). Put plastic parts bins for nuts/bolts/etc. on wall. Computer desk so with my parts inventory.

Mistakes:
1. Even tho I've got double doors in the shop to get the fuse/wings in/out, I forgot to calculate the width of the gear. So I had start working in main hangar now that she's up on the gear.
2. Had to add a window toward runway - so I could watch planes.
3. Should have put main hangar light switch next to shop door for when I leave in the dark.

Hope that helps.
"Jerry"
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: