Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back From Sun-n-Fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Back From Sun-n-Fun Reply with quote

Well my first trip to Sun-N-Fun is in the books. After an initial confusing afternoon of trying to find a campsite, I settled in very well to the environs of the fly-in site. Having flight line areas set-up along the same themes as Oshkosh made it more comfortable for me to plan my day. On the other hand, it was refreshing to not be so bombarded by EAA propaganda, VIP cars speeding through the flight line or the in-your-face-security that pervades at Oshkosh now.

I started off the next morning by visiting CAM’s Flight at St. Petersburg-Clearwater airport (PIE). They offer flight instruction in an AMD built 601XL. It was a great opportunity to have this service so close to the SNF site. There are no 601’s available for instruction anywhere close to my Cincinnati home that I know of. We did our air work over the Gulf Of Mexico and shot touch-and-go’s along with the Coast Guard C-130’s at PIE. I was aware of past discussion about the 601’s pitch sensitivity and potential for over-rotation prior to my arrival and was pleased that the flight instructor mentioned this before I had the opportunity to ask. His recommendation was to let the stick settle into it’s ‘neutral’ position as the airspeed picked the elevator up and go about ½” further back on the stick and hold it and avoid any urge to get into a PIO situation. He says he sees lift-off PIO a lot in new students. His suggestion worked great for me as the airplane lifted off and transitioned into the climb with ease. I think lift-off was around 55 kts or so. With more experience, a shorter take-off roll at lower speeds could certainly be made, but with 5000’ of pavement, I was not concerned with this right then. I forgot this caution on my first touch-and-go back at the airport after doing the air work. I over pitched and experienced a mild PIO before it settled in. The following take-off’s were all back to normal with that reinforcement fresh in my head. Up to this time, the only 601XL experience I had was a short ZAC demo flight. I am now very comfortable with my 601XL choice having not experienced any difficulties other than what I already mentioned. p.s., this airplane had a BRS installed. The activation lever, with safety pin, was well under the panel in front of my right knee. I doubt that I could have actuated it in an emergency situation unless I had a fair amount of altitude to give me time to access it. If there were excessive G-loads to contend with, forget it.

The CAN-ZAC BBQ was a good time. I got to meet fellow posters like Juan Vega and Roberto Brito (601XL Airfox) for the first time and past acquaintances like Dennis Shoup and Jon Croke, just to name a few. My thanks to Mark Townsend and his crew for setting it all up. I came away with CAN-ZAC BBQ and Airfox t-shirts as well as some good fellowship.

I only saw two homebuilt 601’s during my stay. Jaun’s XL was in the ZAC display area and there was an HD for sale on the flightline. There were three AMD 601XL’s scattered around the exhibit areas. Since my canopy goes on next I took a lot of pictures in this area. I spent a fair amount of time looking at the RV-12 and Rans’s S-19. There are aspects of both that would be nice to be able to incorporate into the 601, but at my stage of build combined with my lack of design experience will keep me on the path set out by the current drawings. For example, the S-19’s sliding canopy or the RV-12’s simple canopy latching mechanism are examples of things that I liked but would be much to difficult to easily incorporate into a 601. Seeing the RV-12 map box reminded me that I had not incorporated one yet myself. It is a very simple design that I will put in my panel also.

That is enough of my ramblings. I would like to hear what other’s thought about the show.

From a first timer,

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

Check Ride 601XL.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.69 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

Check Ride 601XL.jpg

Chuck Chappell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Back From Sun-n-Fun Reply with quote

David that was an excellent report,

Thank you,

Chuck Chappell

Do not archive

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

leinad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Back From Sun-n-Fun Reply with quote

Dave,
I wish I had the opportunity to meet you. I was at Sun N' Fun but got to the BBQ late. Most folks had left.
I've put some pictures on my web sight.
Also, working on my canopy.
Dan
http:://daniel.dempseyfamily.us
do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: