Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

Quote:
The hanger doors were also of interest.

Dear Frank, this is not personal because I notice that nearly everyone does it but ... it is called 'hangar' and not 'hanger.'
Because I have lived in three different countries and speak four languages, I have a natural interest for etymology and especially where the Germanic and Latin languages meet.
A 'hangar' is a French word used in Normandy to call a cattle barn. The history says that it was Louis Blériot who started using the word as he wanted such barns to be built to house his planes.
But the word has even an older origin: 'Hangard.' That is an old Germanic name that probably came to Normandy with the Norsemen. The suffix 'gard' probably means place, or farm. It is still found in places like the German town Stuttgart.
The prefix 'han' is not so clear but I wonder if it is not related to the German 'Henne,' Norwegian 'høne' and English 'hen.'
Incidentally, Blériot - as you know - flew first over the English Channel from Cap Gris-Nez to Dover. The former is French writing (litt: Gris Nez = grey nose) for graaness. The suffix 'ness' being much used in Britain as it was introduced by the Anglo-Saxons and Norsemen and means; a cape.

.. Okay, totally off-Kitofx-topic and I hope you didn't fall asleep! Smile

Cheers,
Michel Verheughe
Norway
Kitfox 3 - Jabiru 2200
Do not archive
<pre><b><font size=2 color="#000000" face="courier new,courier">

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

f.miles.tcp.833(at)clearw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

Dear Michel,

Thank you for pointing out my error, I think. I do know the difference but
at 73 sometimes my brain and fingers sometimes do not consult with one
another.

Frank

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peteohms

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

But, like everything else in this country (USA) "hanger" has come to be
accepted. Many words get changed here. Wasup.

Pete
Model 3 912ul N73BH
---

akflyer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

peteohms wrote:
But, like everything else in this country (USA) "hanger" has come to be
accepted. Many words get changed here. Wasup.

Pete
Model 3 912ul N73BH
---

not quite... a hanger is what you put your clothes on in the closet, a hangar is what you tuck your plane into. Even in the US this holds true.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
rjdaugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

Michel,
Thanks for the discussion. It is interesting even if boarder line off
topic.

Randy
Do not archive

--

peteohms

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: (OFF TOPIC) Hangar WAS: Show us your finished Kitfox!! Reply with quote

I stand corrected! My very first mistake. And I'm 63.

Pete
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: