Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil pressure warn logic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rshannon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

Here's a puzzle. It may be a "can't get there from here" or a "why bother" situation, but I know some of you listers love a challenge. Smile

I have a B&C S8012 oil pressure switch, where the N.C. contact is wired to an oil pressure warning LED. (See http://www.bandc.biz/S8012dwg.pdf) I also have an ACS OFF-L-R-BOTH key switch for the mags (separate START button) and an S700-2-10 master switch. The issue is that I would like the oil pressure warning LED to operate only when the ACS key switch is not OFF, e.g., when it's in any of the L-R-BOTH positions. The reason is that I don't want the oil pressure warning light ON when I'm just running the panel during engine off ground ops. I plan a separate master ON nag LED, also wired through the N.C. contact.

In short, I'd like to distinguish between A) master only ON, and B) master AND key switch ON.

It's apparent that I need to incorporate the logic of the key switch (see Z-27 logic table) into the low oil pressure warning LED circuit somehow but I'm bamboozled as to how to do it, especially in a way that won't defeat the purpose of the mag switch(s). Of course, I'd rather not add another relay, but additional diode switching logic might be OK.

Ron

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
mprather(at)spro.net

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

If course, you could get rid of the key switch in favor of a couple of
simple toggle switches. One of the toggle switches could have an extra
pole which would defeat the OP light when off. Easy.

I don't think the ACS key switch has any unused poles. I don't see a way
to control the OP light with the key switch without adding some fail modes
to the magneto operation. And needless complexity.

As was mentioned by a lister a while back concerning controlling the Hobbs
by means of monitoring alternator operation, a similar method could be
used to control the OP warning light.

With a couple of components, you could add a "defeat" circuit which would
allow suppressing the OP light operation by means of a momentary push
button. Turn the master on, press the OP warning "defeat" button, and the
light goes out. Next time the master is cycled, the OP warning functions
as expected.

Finally, why are you concerned about the OP warning being on when with
engine-off operations? It probably won't burn as much power as anything
else in the panel.. I guess that fits into the "why bother" response
category... Smile
Regards,

Matt-

Quote:
Here's a puzzle. It may be a "can't get there from here" or a "why bother"
situation, but I know some of you listers love a challenge. Smile

I have a B&C S8012 oil pressure switch, where the N.C. contact is wired to
an oil pressure warning LED. (See http://www.bandc.biz/S8012dwg.pdf) I
also
have an ACS OFF-L-R-BOTH key switch for the mags (separate START button)
and
an S700-2-10 master switch. The issue is that I would like the oil
pressure
warning LED to operate only when the ACS key switch is not OFF, e.g., when
it's in any of the L-R-BOTH positions. The reason is that I don't want
the
oil pressure warning light ON when I'm just running the panel during
engine
off ground ops. I plan a separate master ON nag LED, also wired through
the
N.C. contact.

In short, I'd like to distinguish between A) master only ON, and B) master
AND key switch ON.

It's apparent that I need to incorporate the logic of the key switch (see
Z-27 logic table) into the low oil pressure warning LED circuit somehow
but
I'm bamboozled as to how to do it, especially in a way that won't defeat
the
purpose of the mag switch(s). Of course, I'd rather not add another relay,
but additional diode switching logic might be OK.

Ron

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rshannon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

Thanks, Matt. All points well taken.

One reason to have that light OFF during engine off ground ops would be to make it more palatable to use a blinking LED. After due deliberations, I committed to the key switch some time back. As you point out, it would have been easy with mag toggles. A latching defeat switch, perhaps with an auto timeout in addition to the master cycle reset you suggest, is a possibility.

Of course, the oil pressure warn is critical, and mandates a KISS architecture. No doubt, it's my inclination to complicate it that deserves a defeat switch. Smile

Ron

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Matt Prather <mprather(at)spro.net (mprather(at)spro.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Matt Prather" <mprather(at)spro.net (mprather(at)spro.net)>

If course, you could get rid of the key switch in favor of a couple of
simple toggle switches. One of the toggle switches could have an extra
pole which would defeat the OP light when off. Easy.

I don't think the ACS key switch has any unused poles. I don't see a way
to control the OP light with the key switch without adding some fail modes
to the magneto operation. And needless complexity.

As was mentioned by a lister a while back concerning controlling the Hobbs
by means of monitoring alternator operation, a similar method could be
used to control the OP warning light.

With a couple of components, you could add a "defeat" circuit which would
allow suppressing the OP light operation by means of a momentary push
button. Turn the master on, press the OP warning "defeat" button, and the
light goes out. Next time the master is cycled, the OP warning functions
as expected.

Finally, why are you concerned about the OP warning being on when with
engine-off operations? It probably won't burn as much power as anything
else in the panel.. I guess that fits into the "why bother" response
category... Smile

Regards,

Matt-
[b]

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

At 02:29 PM 5/5/2008 -0700, you wrote:

Quote:

One reason to have that light OFF during engine off ground ops would be to
make it more palatable to use a blinking LED. After due deliberations, I
committed to the key switch some time back. As you point out, it would
have been easy with mag toggles. A latching defeat switch, perhaps with an
auto timeout in addition to the master cycle reset you suggest, is a
possibility.

Of course, the oil pressure warn is critical, and mandates a KISS
architecture. No doubt, it's my inclination to complicate it that deserves
a defeat switch. Smile

Ron

Do you have a low voltage warning light? Does it not flash?
The reason for flashing lights is to get attention to an
urgent matter. Another advantage of flashing lights is to
remind you to turn the master switch(es) off after engine
shutdown.

I'm curious as to the driver behind efforts to defeat the
ideas that drove the original design goals for these lights.

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

Ron,
You could check the continuity of the unused terminals LR and BO on the back of the ACS key switch. Check from LR and BO to BAT and to GROUIND and to terminals R and L with the switch in different positions. Report your findings back here and maybe someone can use that information to help you. Even if those unused terminals are of no use for your application, knowing how they are wired is useful information that could help others. This website http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2008Individual/Cat08448.pdf has a pinout of the back of the switch, but there is no schematic to show exactly how the switch is wired internally. Adding a circuit component that disables the low pressure warning light introduces a failure point that could prevent the light from warning you when needed.
Joe
[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

At 10:55 AM 5/6/2008 -0400, you wrote:

Quote:
Ron,
You could check the continuity of the unused terminals LR and BO on the
back of the ACS key switch. Check from LR and BO to BAT and to GROUIND
and to terminals R and L with the switch in different positions. Report
your findings back here and maybe someone can use that information to help
you. Even if those unused terminals are of no use for your application,
knowing how they are wired is useful information that could help
others. This website
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2008Individual/Cat08448.pdf>http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2008Individual/Cat08448.pdf
has a pinout of the back of the switch, but there is no schematic to show
exactly how the switch is wired internally. Adding a circuit component
that disables the low pressure warning light introduces a failure point
that could prevent the light from warning you when needed.
Joe

Functionality of the internal workings of the classic off-l-r-both-start
switch is described at:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdfs/Z26-27K.pdf

Bob . . .

----------------------------------------)
( . . . a long habit of not thinking )
( a thing wrong, gives it a superficial )
( appearance of being right . . . )
( )
( -Thomas Paine 1776- )
----------------------------------------

rshannon

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 6:24 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net (nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net (nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net)>

At 02:29 PM 5/5/2008 -0700, you wrote:

Quote:

One reason to have that light OFF during engine off ground ops would be to make it more palatable to use a blinking LED. After due deliberations, I committed to the key switch some time back. As you point out, it would have been easy with mag toggles. A latching defeat switch, perhaps with an auto timeout in addition to the master cycle reset you suggest, is a possibility.

Of course, the oil pressure warn is critical, and mandates a KISS architecture. No doubt, it's my inclination to complicate it that deserves a defeat switch. Smile

Ron

Do you have a low voltage warning light? Does it not flash?
The reason for flashing lights is to get attention to an
urgent matter. Another advantage of flashing lights is to
remind you to turn the master switch(es) off after engine
shutdown.

I'm curious as to the driver behind efforts to defeat the
ideas that drove the original design goals for these lights.

Bob . . .

Bob, I thought I had explained the driver -- not necessarily a sufficient one -- to allow ground ops (programming GPS, etc.) without having the oil pressure warn light blinking away. (Yes, my LV warn light will blink, and the same issue may apply when not on ground power.)

I did concede at the outset and again above that this concern may not be important enough to change the circuit, logic, etc. Just a puzzle that I thought worthy of discussion if, and only if, it could be solved safely and reliably.

Ron

[quote][b]

rshannon

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Joe <fran5sew(at)banyanol.com (fran5sew(at)banyanol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Ron,
You could check the continuity of the unused terminals LR and BO on the back of the ACS key switch. Check from LR and BO to BAT and to GROUIND and to terminals R and L with the switch in different positions. Report your findings back here and maybe someone can use that information to help you. Even if those unused terminals are of no use for your application, knowing how they are wired is useful information that could help others. This website http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2008Individual/Cat08448.pdf has a pinout of the back of the switch, but there is no schematic to show exactly how the switch is wired internally. Adding a circuit component that disables the low pressure warning light introduces a failure point that could prevent the light from warning you when needed.
Joe

The key switch model without START doesn't have those terminals. Just GND, L and R.

I realize this proposal could introduce failure points, and thought I had already acknowledged that, though perhaps not enough. Surely the fact that some proposal may introduce failure points if not done right is not a reason to explore possible ways to do it right.

Ron

[quote][b]

rshannon

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net (nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net (nuckolls.bob(at)cox.net)>

Functionality of the internal workings of the classic off-l-r-both-start
switch is described at:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdfs/Z26-27K.pdf

Bob . . .

Understood. I referenced Z-27 in the first post in this thread.

Ron
[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

Ron,

Looking at the schematic that Bob K provided on Z-26, there are no unused contacts on the key switch. Connecting to the left or right mag wires is a bad idea because doing so might disable the magneto. Here is a suggestion: Tape a piece of reflective tape to the key. Aim an optical IR beam at the key so that the beam will reflect to a receiver when the key is in the off position. When the reflected beam is received, the low oil pressure warning light will be disabled. It sounds complicated but I am sure that there are off the shelf parts available to easily accomplish this. Perhaps someone knowledgeable in solid state circuitry can help you.
Joe
[quote][b]

rshannon

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

ROTFL ! I knew sooner or later somebody would come through with an elegant, failsafe solution!

Ron
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Joe <fran5sew(at)banyanol.com (fran5sew(at)banyanol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Ron,

Looking at the schematic that Bob K provided on Z-26, there are no unused contacts on the key switch. Connecting to the left or right mag wires is a bad idea because doing so might disable the magneto. Here is a suggestion: Tape a piece of reflective tape to the key. Aim an optical IR beam at the key so that the beam will reflect to a receiver when the key is in the off position. When the reflected beam is received, the low oil pressure warning light will be disabled. It sounds complicated but I am sure that there are off the shelf parts available to easily accomplish this. Perhaps someone knowledgeable in solid state circuitry can help you.
Joe

[b]

mprather(at)spro.net

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: oil pressure warn logic Reply with quote

I little Rube Goldberg-ian, but I like it.. Smile

A crude optical encoder..
Matt-

Quote:
Ron,

Looking at the schematic that Bob K provided on Z-26, there are no unused
contacts on the key switch. Connecting to the left or right mag wires is
a bad idea because doing so might disable the magneto. Here is a
suggestion: Tape a piece of reflective tape to the key. Aim an optical IR
beam at the key so that the beam will reflect to a receiver when the key
is in the off position. When the reflected beam is received, the low oil
pressure warning light will be disabled. It sounds complicated but I am
sure that there are off the shelf parts available to easily accomplish
this. Perhaps someone knowledgeable in solid state circuitry can help
you.
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: