Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monument Valley Flyin Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azfirestar

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

I'm hoping to fly in Friday with my son in the back seat and wife following in the minivan. Really looking forward to seeing the country and finally meeting some of yous guys in person. The plan is to trailer the F2 to Sedona AZ and take a relatively short flight from there - looks like a beautiful trip. What frequency does everyone use for MV traffic? Do I need to call Gouldings before flying in (since it's private)? Any other advice for a first time MV trip?

Thanks,
Dan G
503 F2 963DG
Tucson AZ
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Dave Rains

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, CTAF is 122.9 While technically you need to ask first, no one does, and we have never been questioned. The entire runway is paved now Sad , and they are getting used to traffic coming and going with tourist spending money. Advise? Fly safe, meet new friends, and have a wonderful time.
Dave R.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

Dan G:

Here is Airnav's page on Monument Valley Airport.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

Runway 16/34 is now paved.

Land 16, take off 34 always, regardless of the wind. However, if the wind is blowing hard enough the wrong way for a safe take off, you probably do not need to be flying. There is plenty of room to take off to the south in a Kolb, with 4,000 feet of pavement prior to the 800 foot high vertical rock face, if it was absolutely necessary.

122.9 CTAF.

I noticed John W provided the current aerial photo of MV Airport.

I have never gotten prior permission to land at MV. If you call for info at the desk, it will only confuse them and you. Have never had anyone ask for my "permission slip".

Note: Field elevation is 5,192 feet, a tad less than a mile high. This elevation has snuck up on some folks landing at MV.

Have a fun, safe flight.

john h
mkIII

[quote] What frequency does everyone use for MV traffic? Do I need to call Gouldings before flying in (since it's private)? Any other advice for a first time MV trip?

Thanks,
Dan G

[b]

Titus, Alabama
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, CTAF is 122.9 While technically you need to ask first, no one does, and we have never been questioned. The entire runway is paved now Sad , and they are getting used to traffic coming and going with tourist spending money. Advise? Fly safe, meet new friends, and have a wonderful time.
Dave R.

--------
Dave Rains
N8086T

Added note.

Land to the south runway 16. takeoff to the north runway 34. last year runway 16 was labeled RB.

When landing runway 16 it will be up hill, the south end of the runway is about 150 ft higher than the north end.

Hazard - 800' agl Mesa - south of the runway.

Pattern Altitude 6000 ft mls 800 ft agl.

The airport is used by commercial tour operators, twin otters, Cessna caravans, and others,,, it can get busy at times. Be carefull.

Boyd Young
Kolb MKIIIC
Brigham City Ut.

[quote][b]

azfirestar

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info. Another question - what do they have for tie downs at MV? Are there plenty of anchors in the ground or do I need to bring something?

Dan G.
503 F2
Tucson AZ

boyd wrote: [quote] st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]-->
Dave R.

--------
Dave Rains
N8086T

Added note.
When landing runway 16 it will be up hill, the south end of the runway is about 150 ft higher than the north end.
Hazard - 800' agl Mesa - south of the runway. <>Pattern Altitude 6000 ft mls 800 ft agl.</> <>
The airport is used by commercial tour operators, twin otters, Cessna caravans, and others,,, it can get busy at times. Be carefull.</>

Boyd Young
Kolb MKIIIC
Brigham City Ut.
[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

Dan G:

Tie downs cables are installed at Goudings.

Always a good idea to have your own tie downs that will work in dirt and rock, and a way to get them in the ground. Never know when you might have to tie down your airplane enroute.

john h
mkIII
[quote]Thanks everyone for the info. Another question - what do they have for tie downs at MV? Are there plenty of anchors in the ground or do I need to bring something?

Dan G.
<![endif]-->[b]

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

Gang:

I forgot to mention, you will need to bring your own ropes to tie to the cables at Gouldings.

john h
mkIII

[quote] Tie downs cables are installed at Goudings.

<![endif]-->[b]

Titus, Alabama
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Monument Valley Flyin Questions Reply with quote

There are 2 long cables anchored into the ground that you can tie YOUR tie down ropes to. One year when we arrived I tried to twist some tie downs in with no luck… they had just re done the tie down area and had not re installed the cables,, when they saw all the planes arriving,,, they quickly got the cables re installed.

Boyd Young
Kolb MkIII C 500 + hours and counting
Brigham City Utah.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Thanks everyone for the info. Another question - what do they have for tie downs at MV? Are there plenty of anchors in the ground or do I need to bring something?

Dan G.
503 F2
Tucson AZ
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: