Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About another XL Down - Brazil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenabeto(at)uol.com.br

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: About another XL Down - Brazil Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Everything we know, is that Lopes was flying in the afternoon May 5, 17:00 +/-, no clouds, no rain and he lost the controls and fell to the ground.
A witness, at least one, (a backwoodsman, who can’t tell the difference between an airplane and an oxen cart) said he heard a noise and saw the aircraft making a big curve and entering a spiral, the witness said that heard for many times the engine accelerating and decelerating, he shows this way that he was trying to control the situation. He also said that one of the wings "seemed" to have twisted and lifted in the process.
After that, he crashed to the trees.
For all of us, this is very sad. Lopes was my great friend, a good pilot, he was an ag pilot with
almost 19.000 hrs, and here comes the question, what happened?
I know that I did a good work, that I used the best materials, regarding the sheets, I used 2024-T3,
it’s stronger than 6061-T6, on the bars, I used 6351-T6, it’s also permitted. As for the rivets I used
Emhart, that have the same specifications as Avex (both are not structurals)
Our Brazilian Zodiacs look faster than yours, and Lopes’s Zodiac was flying 145/147 mph,
3000 ft with 3000 rpm on a Jabiru, he told for me that many times.
Well, all of us would like to know what happened, and ABRAEX (Brazilian Association for
Experimental Aircraft) started to conduct an investigation and anything that we say now is mere
speculation, then we need to wait for the investigation, after that I will place the report here.
As for my plane, my pilot reported me, that when he traveled from Atibaia to Franca, he was at
5000 ft, with 150 mph he entered a little turbulence and the plane had a big flutter in ailerons,
immediately he cut down the throttle and pulled the nose up and fortunately he came to landing without any problems. We used the piano hinges in my ailerons.
After that we disassembled our Zodiac to check wings, stabilator, and so on, and everything
was okay, then we had the aileron balance, we performed some tests and we
had never more problems. After that, we called Lopes and recommended him to carry out on
aileron balance, but he didn’t.
I don’t want to state hereby that it was the cause of the crash, but we have already faced this problem as well.
We need to wait for the investigation results to know exactly what happened and for the time being we have limited the speed with my plane in 135 mph (cruise speed).

Regards,

Roberto Brito
Brazil.

Zodiac XL 601 w/ 190hrs
Jabiru 3300
Enigma

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
ashontz

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: About another XL Down - Brazil Reply with quote

Roberto,

I'm looking into balancing the ailerons too. Could you please send pictures and drawings of EXACTLY what you did to balance them. I suspect this is the problem. I'm also using the piano hinges.

Thanks,

Andy

[quote="lenabeto(at)uol.com.br"]Hi Folks,

Everything we know, is that Lopes was flying in the afternoon May 5, 17:00 +/-, no clouds, no rain and he lost the controls and fell to the ground.
A witness, at least one, (a backwoodsman, who can?t tell the difference between an airplane and an oxen cart) said he heard a noise and saw the aircraft making a big curve and entering a spiral, the witness said that heard for many times the engine accelerating and decelerating, he shows this way that he was trying to control the situation. He also said that one of the wings "seemed" to have twisted and lifted in the process.
After that, he crashed to the trees.
For all of us, this is very sad. Lopes was my great friend, a good pilot, he was an ag pilot with
almost 19.000 hrs, and here comes the question, what happened?
I know that I did a good work, that I used the best materials, regarding the sheets, I used 2024-T3,
it?s stronger than 6061-T6, on the bars, I used 6351-T6, it?s also permitted. As for the rivets I used
Emhart, that have the same specifications as Avex (both are not structurals)
Our Brazilian Zodiacs look faster than yours, and Lopes?s Zodiac was flying 145/147 mph,
3000 ft with 3000 rpm on a Jabiru, he told for me that many times.
Well, all of us would like to know what happened, and ABRAEX (Brazilian Association for
Experimental Aircraft) started to conduct an investigation and anything that we say now is mere
speculation, then we need to wait for the investigation, after that I will place the report here.
As for my plane, my pilot reported me, that when he traveled from Atibaia to Franca, he was at
5000 ft, with 150 mph he entered a little turbulence and the plane had a big flutter in ailerons,
immediately he cut down the throttle and pulled the nose up and fortunately he came to landing without any problems. We used the piano hinges in my ailerons.
After that we disassembled our Zodiac to check wings, stabilator, and so on, and everything
was okay, then we had the aileron balance, we performed some tests and we
had never more problems. After that, we called Lopes and recommended him to carry out on
aileron balance, but he didn?t.
I don?t want to state hereby that it was the cause of the crash, but we have already faced this problem as well.
We need to wait for the investigation results to know exactly what happened and for the time being we have limited the speed with my plane in 135 mph (cruise speed).

Regards,

Roberto Brito
Brazil.

Zodiac XL 601 w/ 190hrs
Jabiru 3300
Enigma

Quote:
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lenabeto(at)uol.com.br

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: About another XL Down - Brazil Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I 'll take some pictures and I'll send them for you and to others Zodiac Builders that need.

Regards,

Roberto Brito
Brazil.

Zodiac XL 601 w/ 190hrs
Jabiru 3300
Enigma
[quote][b]

ashontz

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: About another XL Down - Brazil Reply with quote

Thanks Roberto. Be interested to see what you came up with.

[quote="lenabeto(at)uol.com.br"]Hi Andy,

I 'll take some pictures and I'll send them for you and to others Zodiac Builders that need.

Regards,

? Roberto Brito
Brazil.

Zodiac XL 601 w/ 190hrs
Jabiru 3300
Enigma
Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: