Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad experience with California Power Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

Hello all:
Here is a warning to all about doing business with California Power Systems. I recently rebuilt my 503 as you may have read in an earlier post. First, my order arrived partially filled. The fact that critical parts were not in stock was not mentioned when placing my order, nor was I made aware of it till my order arrived short (very frustrating). Part of that order was an exchange set of 0.010" over-bored cylinders. I sent mine to them post haste, only to find when my box arrived that they didn't have any to exchange with me. I called to get an estimated turn around time and was the guy on the phone could not find my cylinders. They had no record of getting my cylinders. I looked up the tracking information and called them back with a name and date of arrival. The guy put me on hold for about ten minutes and came back with "I don't see them anywhere, they MAY have gotten sent out. I left my number and asked to be called when someone could locate them.

Meanwhile I began inspecting the other parts. The piston pins I received had been handled with bare hands at some time in the past and finger prints were corroded into them. I ordered replacements elsewhere and sent them back two days after receiving my order. Once again I needed my tracking number. Two weeks later, I called about getting a credit for the returned pins. I got the same "I don't see them anywhere, are you sure we got them?" routine. I got the distinct impression that without proof of receipt, I would be out of luck. I called back the next day with my tracking number, got a different person on the phone and the same "are you sure we got them?" response. Turns out the guy I was talking to was the very person who had signed for them nearly two weeks earlier. I have been calling them a couple of times a week about crediting me for my return. I always get "are you sure we got them?"

I just got off of the phone with them this morning. I was assured My card will be credited tomorrow, ONE MONTH after getting my return. They will get no further business from me and I hope from this list.

In their defense, the company who they sent my cylinders to, D & F Aviation in Goldsboro, NC did a masterful job. A tool an die maker friend used his very expensive bore-guage to check the job, and both cylinders were within 0.0003" of spec for diameter and were true and straight to 0.0002". Can't complain about that. The ports were deburred and the honing was perfect.

Anyway, if you do any business with CPS, expect lousy service if you must return anything and send it SIGNATURE REQUIRED or you may not get your money back. Your mileage may vary, but I doubt it.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

lucien

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

R. Hankins wrote:
Hello all:
Here is a warning to all about doing business with California Power Systems.

I"ll second this.

Has anyone seen the 2-stroke teardown/rebuild video from CPS?

If not, it might be worth a few bucks to get it to convince yourself you never, ever want to send your motor over there for any reason. Likewise with parts.... I've never seen engine parts manhandled like that before in my life.....

For motor work, I'd suggest Ronnie Smith at south Mississippi light aircraft, Mark Smith at tristate kite sales in IN (2-stroke only but has decades of Rotax experience), and lockwood aviation in FL.

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ralph B

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

I bought an Ivo prop from them and found out that it's out of balance. The numbers marked inside the hub should have been better matched. They cut them down to size from 72" (the Ivo factory delivers them at 72"). I'm sending it back and hope to get a matched set in return.

I also bought a hand operated gasoline pump and it was defective and leaking. I'm sending that back too. I may not be doing anymore business with them either.

On the positive side, the CPS ASI in my Firestar still works great after 21 years of flying (but they didn't manufacture it).

do not archive

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
R. Hankins

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

Lucien:
I have also had great service from MS Light Aircraft. I called them on John Hauk's recommendation and got great service. I had part numbers in hand when I called, but didn't need them. I told him what I needed, and he said "let me check... Yep, I've got 'em" and they were in my hand three days later. He sent me the right parts by description alone. Nice to order from someone who knows what they are talking about.

lucien

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

R. Hankins wrote:
Lucien:
I have also had great service from MS Light Aircraft. I called them on John Hauk's recommendation and got great service. I had part numbers in hand when I called, but didn't need them. I told him what I needed, and he said "let me check... Yep, I've got 'em" and they were in my hand three days later. He sent me the right parts by description alone. Nice to order from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Well I don't think there's anyone who has more experience with the Rotaxen than Ronnie Smith (except perhaps Mark Smith in the 2-stroke area).

But especially for the 912, Ronnie Smith is the best in the country. He also happens to now be an AnP so he works on the big iron (or is at least qualified to) as well.

He's a regular on Roy Beisswinger's internet radio show and I listen to every single time that he's on. I've called him occassionally for advice on things here and there and there's just nothing that the man doesn't know about our rotax motors.

Lockwood is also very good, but they tend to be a little more doctrinaire about things, which sometimes Ronnie has a little more field experience with.

For 2-strokes, Mark Smith is another genius who's been doing the 2-stroke motors for decades. He still does several motors a week, so who knows how many motors he's brought back to health over the years....

Between these three, you just don't need anyone else for service, advice and parts....

JMO,

LS

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

Roger , It seems that CPS hasn't improved any even though it has been 8 years since I had similar trouble with them . I stopped doing business with them after they sent me the wrong fuel pump for my 503 ,I bought the rebuild kit from another supplier and it worked fine their products and their employees leave a lot to be desired"as in nothing I want to deal with"Chris

---

ulflyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

What you all may be experiencing is the effects of the slow economy
and slow down in the UL market itself. I would suspect they have
reduced their staff to bare bones and those remaining are over
whelmed. It seems to work out that way.
jerb

At 11:29 AM 5/13/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

R. Hankins wrote:
> Hello all:
> Here is a warning to all about doing business with California
Power Systems.
I"ll second this.

Has anyone seen the 2-stroke teardown/rebuild video from CPS?

If not, it might be worth a few bucks to get it to convince yourself
you never, ever want to send your motor over there for any reason.
Likewise with parts.... I've never seen engine parts manhandled like
that before in my life.....

For motor work, I'd suggest Ronnie Smith at south Mississippi light
aircraft, Mark Smith at tristate kite sales in IN (2-stroke only but
has decades of Rotax experience), and lockwood aviation in FL.

LS

--------
LS
FS II

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=182947#182947

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Bad experience with California Power Systems Reply with quote

jerb, I don't think one can blame their lousy parts and service on the economy as it was 8 years ago I had my bad experience and stopped doing business with them. Chris

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: