Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stall warning devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Stall warning devices Reply with quote

NOTE: new subject line to reflect topic
Quote:
How does the stall horn know you are stalled? Airspeed or AOA?

--------
Ray

Ray,

The stall horn on my Cessna works with BOTH angle of attack, and airspeed. The placement of the tab on the leading edge is such that only an angle of attack (AOA) that approaches stall affects it. Additionally, it requires a specific minimum airspeed blowing against it to keep it quiet. Normal flight parameters do that(keep it quiet). But in very high AOA and slow airspeed, the tab is allowed to "relax" forward, and this sounds the warning horn.

Being able to build your own AOA/stall warning device wouldn't be such a difficult task. It just requires a significant amount of stall practice, to be able to find that "sweet spot"....the moment just as stall is imminent!!
My problem is that with all that practice learning what is and isn't the actual stall, to be able to build the warning device, I may in fact get to the point where I don't really need it!!!

It has been a while, but for fun I used to practice flying my Cessna all over the practice zone, about 1/2 mph above actual stall, while maintaining altitude!! I'd make shallow turns, enjoy a cup of coffee, read the newspaper, etc. The stall warning horn just 'a blarin' away!!! Ok, I didn't actually drink any coffee or read anything, but the point is, there was a time when I had such control of my airspeed and stall parameters that the horn was only a loud annoyance. We should ALL be that proficient at the very slow flight envelope.

I don't get nearly the flight time to be that skilled lately. But I should!!

Best to you, Ray, and I hope you plan on making it to M.V. On your way back home you could stop by my place and I could show you my MkIII project (in St George, UT, sw corner of Utah).

Mike Welch
MkIIICX

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Stall warning devices Reply with quote

NOTE: Subject line changed to reflect topic
Quote:
Stall horns work off of AOA not airspeed (stall is a function of AOA, not airspeed).

Quote:
FWIW,
LS

Lucien,

Minor point. As any proficient pilot knows, the airplane's wings' stall is a function of AOA, as you stated. No argument there. However, the stall warning device does require "some" airpseed" to operate properly.

I could tilt my Cessna on it's tail, on the ramp, engine off, and the stall warning device does not sound. AOA is certainly "critical".

Stall works off AOA, not airspeed, true.

But, stall horns work off of both.

Best to ya,
Mike Welch

Do Not Archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: