Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting a zodiac - Downsides of going with a HD instead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey_davidson(at)earth

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Starting a zodiac - Downsides of going with a HD instead Reply with quote

Jay,
I'm hoping that you are inaccurate on this. Tweaking the stall speed to meet the LSA stall speeds after the plane is flying may in itself violate the LSA criteria.
Jeff D
Quote:

Several years ago, there was an extremely active poster named Frank Hinde who completed an HDS. When he went to sell it, he found that it wouldn't meet the stall speed requirement for LSA. As I recall, he did some "tweaking" and got the stall speed within requirements. What I don't remember is what he did to reduce it. That might still be in the archives. So, it seems that the HDS is right on the cusp and individual examples may or may not qualify as LSA.

Jay in Dallas

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Starting a zodiac - Downsides of going with a HD instead Reply with quote

Jeff,

How would you know what your airplane's stalling speed is without flying it? And if it is too high, are you just stuck with it? I think not. That is some of what the 40 hour testing period is about.

I think what you are referring to is (usually older) airplanes that originally met the LSA criteria (like a lot of Aircoupes), but some time in their life, they were modified to be faster, or heavier, or whatever that put them out of the LSA category. They can't be returned to the original configuration to qualify as LSA.

Jay in Dallas
Jeff Davidson <jeffrey_davidson(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Quote:

Jay,
I'm hoping that you are inaccurate on this. Tweaking the stall speed to meet the LSA stall speeds after the plane is flying may in itself violate the LSA criteria.
Jeff D
>
>Several years ago, there was an extremely active poster named Frank Hinde who completed an HDS. When he went to sell it, he found that it wouldn't meet the stall speed requirement for LSA. As I recall, he did some "tweaking" and got the stall speed within requirements. What I don't remember is what he did to reduce it. That might still be in the archives. So, it seems that the HDS is right on the cusp and individual examples may or may not qualify as LSA.
>
>Jay in Dallas
>

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Gig Giacona

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a zodiac - Downsides of going with a HD ins Reply with quote

While I agree with that logic Jay, there have been some DAR and or FSDO that have taken the other view in some cases. I remember reading about them back when the LSA rules were first put in place. Probably on R.A.H.

The thinking was as you said based on the Ercoupe C modifications that made it a D. (I think those were the model numbers it may have been B to C.) If the builder had finished the phase I testing and documented numbers that didn't make LSA rules the plane was forever NOT LSA.

If memory serves it was cases where the plane was built and flew off the hours before the LSA numbers were known or in some cases even considered. They might have a fast stall speed or been granted AW certs with 1400 lbs MGW. The builder couldn't go back and change those numbers to make LSA. Yet he could build a plane that was identical and report the correct numbers and it was an LSA.

Remember we are talking about a government agency here. Logic isn't required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: