Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acetone in Fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowvne(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Acetone in Fuel Reply with quote

Hi guys  Have any of you tried putting acetone in the fuel?

Here is some interesting info that allegedly improves gas Mileage in our cars...

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Mark

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Acetone in Fuel Reply with quote

Putting acetone in fuel sounds like a REALLY BAD idea. I never put acetone in my fuel in my car, airplane, not even my lawn mower. Talk about something that could attack seals, fuel lines, plastic, etc. There is always someone that is willing to give bad advice. This reminds me of the guy that told me brother in law that a little brake fluid in his transmission would make it work like new, it took about 5 minutes to eat through the seals and spill all the fluid out on the ground under the car..
Although I agree acetone could improve fuel economy a lot when the engine quits and you do not burn any gas while replacing parts in the fuel system.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Acetone in Fuel Reply with quote

Here we go, the website Mark listed above has a link to this warning:

*A note of extreme caution: Acetone is a very powerful solvent, and extremely corrosive to rubber. In fact, when the acetone hits a rubber fuel line, or o-rings, or any other rubber part coming into contact with the acetone, it will slowly be dissolved away. With continual corrosion of the rubber, it will eventually disintegrate, leading to extensive repairs of the fuel line, and a possibly worse if it happened while driving. When it all comes down to it, realize that you are using the acetone at your own consequence.

I wonder how many people are going to run out and try this in their cars due to the article above, I expect Kolb and other airplane drivers will be much smarter than to try something like this.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
lucien

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Acetone in Fuel Reply with quote

Yeah, kinda have to agree with Mike here. It's generally not a good idea to put anything in an engine other that what is called for with it.
That means, if it's supposed to take gas, put only gas in it. If it takes motor oil or 2-stroke oil, only put motor oil/2-stroke oil in it, and etc.

Works for me.

Our engines are designed to go all the way out to TBO with only the required fuels and oils anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to put any other stuff in it, in my view.

Acetone is a great cleaner and degreaser, but probably a lousy fuel for a Rotax.....

LS

knowvne(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Acetone in Fuel Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Yes I would have to agree with you.. I wasn't endorsing the use of the stuff as an additive 
 but I thought it was an interesting article given the direction fuel prices are going these days...

Personally I think Gas is cheaper than truck repairs...   At least for right now anyway hahahahaha Cool

BTW  those E trikes ARE starting to look better and better... 8-(

Mark

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: