Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yakking in Canada??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zjopa

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Possibility I might get a job transfer to Vancouver... How are the Great White Northerners when It comes to Yak flying??
I have a 52TD. What sort of paperwork is needed???
(Or do I just keep it at Bellingham across the border??) Confused

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
fougapilot

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Yaking in Canada is not as bad as it sounds.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is will you keep the TD Us register? All things considered, I would. Truth be told, the Yak market in Canada is so small that it is simply impossible to have hull insurance. Yep, all Canadian Yaks are flying with liability only.

If you keep the TD US registered, the only thing you will need is a piece of paper from Transport Canada (our FAA but not as trigger happy) to "Validate" your CofA. There is a cost associated to it; $100 and the validation is good for 90 days. So unless you plan on flying it all year long, you can expect a $200-$300 out of pocket per year. If your TD is parked all winter, then no need for a validation.

Other than that, you will need $1 000 000 liability insurance.

If you want more info, feel free to email me questions;

fougapilot(at)hotmail.com

Dan

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

heaysr(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Yakkers,

Not true.

Become a member of COPA, then through their Marsh "Goldwings" insurance
policy you can get hull insurance for Canadian registered Yaks at a
reasonable price. At least that is true for a YAK 55M. The policy covers you
for recreational aerobatics. The Marsh underwriter is Lloyds. You can even
get a competition aerobatic endorsement for a few more $'s. Go to the Marsh
website and check it out.

Royden

--

fougapilot

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Royden,

Good to hear progress is being made with the -55 being able to receive hull coverage.

I have had extensive communications with both the people at Marsh and COPA on this and unfortunately the CJ6 (and to the best of my knowledge the Yak52 also) is still black listed as far as hull is concerned. Typical insurance BS. They are under the impression that since it is a foreign Warbird, repairs would be outrageously expensive. Now we all know this is not the case, but they simply don't care to do their home work for such a small market (25 some airplanes).

However, there are other benefits to having an airplane Canadian registered. You see, here in Canada, Experimental Exhibition does not exist. The regulation under which these airplanes are authorized clearly says "the purpose of this regulation is to allow the use of foreign ex-military airplanes for recreational uses". This is true for any eligible airplane from the simple CJ to the complex Mig29 (if you win the national lottery). So no 300-600nm play area, no letter to send to the FAA, no "proficiency". Nothing but play time. Heck, if you really have $$ to burn, you could put the wife in the back seat of that Mig and fly across the country just to get better sushi...

The only draw back to not being "experimental" is that you are somewhat limited on the modifications you can bring to the airplane. Basically, any modification that will change the performances of the airplane needs to be approved by TC. But even then, the process is rather simple since it is not a truly certified aviation product.

D

skidmk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Hey, glad to hear you've got insurance on your Yak 55M.

Curious though, WTF! , over. 1 of these aircraft on the Canadian Registry, same class as Chang's and other yaks, and we cannot get insurance.

What kind of premiums are you paying? (If you don't mind me asking). How did you get the insurance? (I really would like hull insurance on my ship)

thanks

Mike

dougsappllc(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Yakking in Canada?? Reply with quote

Guys,
During the "early days" almost every one of US. warbird insurers contacted me (and I assume other resellers also) about parts availability, most requested a copy of my inventory on hand. I was told that without the inventory on hand (in the US), they weren't comfortable offering hull insurance. Evidently they were satisfied with the level of existing parts inventories because we seem to have a good supply of companies offering the service. If the folks at Marsh and COPA are willing to spend a bit of time and look into the parts availability both in the US and Canada, they will be pleasantly surprised at the level of "parts on hand" which are maintained by the various Yak and CJ parts houses. New conduits of parts are continually being opened up between ourselves and the manufacturers in China and Russia. Just last week we received two aft fuselage assemblies from the factory in China to replace those damaged in two separate accidents, one in Australia and one in Texas. While this was a long and arduous process the fact that this was possible at all should reinforce the notion that ALL parts are available and not just "expendables". If I can be of service to the Canadian Yak and CJ community with respect to convincing Marsh or COPA that the parts required to do a major repair really do exist, please do not fail to have them contact me.

See you all at OSH.

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:55 AM, fougapilot <fougapilot(at)hotmail.com (fougapilot(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: "fougapilot" <fougapilot(at)hotmail.com (fougapilot(at)hotmail.com)>

Royden,

Good to hear progress is being made with the -55 being able to receive hull coverage.

I have had extensive communications with both the people at Marsh and COPA on this and unfortunately the CJ6 (and to the best of my knowledge the Yak52 also) is still black listed as far as hull is concerned. Typical insurance BS. They are under the impression that since it is a foreign Warbird, repairs would be outrageously expensive. Now we all know this is not the case, but they simply don't care to do their home work for such a small market (25 some airplanes).

However, there are other benefits to having an airplane Canadian registered. You see, here in Canada, Experimental Exhibition does not exist. The regulation under which these airplanes are authorized clearly says "the purpose of this regulation is to allow the use of foreign ex-military airplanes for recreational uses". This is true for any eligible airplane from the simple CJ to the complex Mig29 (if you win the national lottery). So no 300-600nm play area, no letter to send to the FAA, no "proficiency". Nothing but play time. Heck, if you really have $$ to burn, you could put the wife in the back seat of that Mig and fly across the country just to get better sushi...

The only draw back to not being "experimental" is that you are somewhat limited on the modifications you can bring to the airplane. Basically, any modification that will change the performances of the airplane needs to be approved by TC. But even then, the process is rather simple since it is not a truly certified aviation product.

D

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184483#184483

st Un/Subscription,
tronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
ms.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
=====

--
Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp
Phone 509-826-4610
Fax 509-826-3644 [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: