Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollrate(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

Where is fuel going to end up? At 17 gallons an hour and possibly $10. per gallon fuel, the cost of ownership sadly may ground or keep flying to a minimum for some owners and may flood the market with Yaks. Looks like auto fuel burning Nanchangs have the upper hand in this realm although ethanol is an issue. Hopefully ethanol will go away leaving the auto fuel option for CJ pilots. Corn belongs on your plate, not in your tank..

Any insight concerning the fuel situation? I worry about the value of my plane dropping and would appreciate any comments.

Pete

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

In a message dated 5/20/2008 12:05:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Rollrate(at)aol.com writes:

Yep. Don't vote for Obama or Hillary. And don't vote for any democrat (or republican) who isn't for increasing drilling, adding new refineries, and adding a nuclear power plant (or two) to every state.

Ladies and Gentlemen I see the US as entering a real inflationary period. Particularly with the party make up of the house and senate. The hippy generation is now voting the "givememinenow" mind set. Our founding fathers made one mistake, they didn't put term limits on the house or senate. For the next eight years (even if McCain is elected) I don't see the economy getting any better than it is right this minute.

I don't see the EPA being kick out or rained in by any of those running, so you can expect fuel situation not to improve one Iota. Plus we've let every level of government get its fingers into our pockets, (local taxes, 'flowage fees', etc. ) The list is too long.

Now look! You've got me started! And this list is not the place people like to discuss politics. But our flying is very much "controlled" by politics. Every facet of it. And yet I come here to get away from politics.

Yes I see prices getting very high for aviation fuel but still available. I see a lot of airplanes getting parked and their valve going down. That includes mine.
My flying days are nearly over. I do not envy you younger guys and gals whose passion for flying like mine, may very well get derailed.

This is the last you'll hear from me on this subject. Its too God damned depressing.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

Quote:
Where is fuel going to end up? At 17 gallons an hour and possibly $10. per gallon fuel, the cost of ownership sadly may ground or keep flying to a minimum for some owners and may flood the market with Yaks. Looks like auto fuel burning Nanchangs have the upper hand in this realm although ethanol is an issue. Hopefully ethanol will go away leaving the auto fuel option for CJ pilots. Corn belongs on your plate, not in your tank..

Any insight concerning the fuel situation? I worry about the value of my plane dropping and would appreciate any comments.

Pete

Quote:

Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

Take a look/listen to this. It was on AVWEB about 2 or so weeks ago. It may be our only hope for the future.
Dennis

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_SwiftEnterprises_SyntheticFuel_JohnZiulkowski_197843-1.html
[quote] ---

Mozam

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

[quote="Rollrate(at)aol.com"] Looks like auto fuel burning Nanchangs have the upper hand in this realm although ethanol is an issue. Hopefully ethanol will go away leaving the auto fuel option for CJ pilots. Corn belongs on your plate, not in your tank..

Pete
quote]

Hi Pete,

I agree decreasing values is a real possibility as rising fuel prices cause a glut of planes on the market. And it appears that it is, or very soon will be, impossible to buy auto gas without some amount of ethanol in it. No plane owners are gonna be able to find auto gas that they can use.

Hopefully 100LL's replacement will arrive sooner, rather than later.

-Steve

petervs(at)knology.net

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

Seems to me the Ethanol problem is an easy one to beat. According to
previous emails you check for ethanol by adding water to the fuel shake up
and the ethanol combines with the water and comes out of the fuel. So it
would seem that all you need to do is by auto gas, chuck in some water shake
it up and then separate the water from the auto gas.

Could it be that easy? Merely a 10% loss of fuel quantity...

Pete

--

CJcanuck

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

Being Canadian I will refrain from commenting on the political scene in the United States (unless someone wishes to discuss NAFTA) but I do have a few thoughts on fuel prices.

Do I think the current prices are here to stay? Yes, I do. However, both Europe, Canada and the Antipodians have been putting up with USD5.00+ per gallon for many years and both have active, if not as prolific, GA communities.

I see parallel's with the energy crisis of '79. The daily consumption rate for the United States has only recently matched the daily consumption rate of those days (see Energy Information Agency info for detail), and that's with a much larger population. The rationalization of daily oil use (namely, cars) had a tremendous effect back then and I feel it needs to be revisited. Now, if the current prices drive all the H2's and sparklingly clean F350's off the road then I'm all for it. Many of my neighbours have large ski boats with 350HP+ motors that they go fishing with for Lord's sake.. what are they fishing, submarines??

I rationalize my CJ this way:

My car (Toyota Matrix) driven around 35,000km (22,000miles) per year = ~800 gallons. (~30miles per gallon)
25hours of CJ (at)14gal per hour = 350gallons.
Total = 1150gallons

vs

Toyota 4-Runner (common larger vehicle I see) driven same distance = ~1300gallons (~17miles per gallon)

vs

Hummer H2 (lots on the road in Anchorage) for same distance = ~2000gallons (~11gallons per mile)

Simply put America, park those ridiculously big cars (H2's, F350's), buy a Ford Focus/Honda Civic/Motorbike for your daily commute (or better yet, take mass transit) and put the oil where it's needed most, in the tanks of our CJ's/Yak's!!!

Just my 2 (CDN) cents worth.

Mike

fish(at)aviation-tech.com

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

Group,

I agree fuel prices are probably here to stay and if we
would like to continue flying, we will need to explore other
methods. Some ideas would be a flying club or fractional
ownership. (Berry, yes I like your idea, currently I can not
afford the buy in)

Using Mike's breakdown, flying 25 hrs per year (2.08 hrs a
month). Lets assume there are 12 hours of daylight flying
per day (year round average). The aircraft is parked for 350
Hrs of day flying per month, where the aircraft is available
for someone else to fly.

A more realestic figure would be to say there are 4 weekends
in a month (24 day hrs X 4 weekends= 96 flying hrs available
per month). So with 4 partners in an aircraft, that leaves
one weekend a month for each to fly the aircraft. Weekends
could be drawn by lotto(aircraft avail wed - tue), giving
everyone an even chance of getting the aircraft on a weekend
they want. If you did not get the weekend you want, you
could then attempt to trade with the others.

This would drop the cost for the individual, and poss allow
more then 2 flight hrs per month. Increasing the utilization
factor of the aircraft, and dropping cost per flight hour.

With a club, you could add aditional aircraft (cross
country, STOL, instrument trainer, Multi Eng, Jet, Ect),
adding additional value to being a member.

Anyone want to purchase a 1/4 to 1/2 shares of a Yak-52?
have aircraft (Cessna, Piper, Twin, Jet, Ect) to include in
a club?

Fly Safe
John Fischer
Yak-52, N213YA
BT-13, Project
L-5, project
PT-19, Project
----- Original Message Follows -----
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Costs
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:36:50 -0700

Quote:

<m_kirk69(at)hotmail.com>

Being Canadian I will refrain from commenting on the
political scene in the United States (unless someone
wishes to discuss NAFTA) but I do have a few thoughts on
fuel prices.

Do I think the current prices are here to stay? Yes, I
do. However, both Europe, Canada and the Antipodians have
been putting up with USD5.00+ per gallon for many years
and both have active, if not as prolific, GA communities.

I see parallel's with the energy crisis of '79. The daily
consumption rate for the United States has only recently
matched the daily consumption rate of those days (see
Energy Information Agency info for detail), and that's
with a much larger population. The rationalization of
daily oil use (namely, cars) had a tremendous effect back
then and I feel it needs to be revisited. Now, if the
current prices drive all the H2's and sparklingly clean
F350's off the road then I'm all for it. Many of my
neighbours have large ski boats with 350HP+ motors that
they go fishing with for Lord's sake.. what are they
fishing, submarines??

I rationalize my CJ this way:

My car (Toyota Matrix) driven around 35,000km
(22,000miles) per year = ~800 gallons. (~30miles per
gallon) 25hours of CJ (at)14gal per hour = 350gallons.
Total = 1150gallons

vs

Toyota 4-Runner (common larger vehicle I see) driven same
distance = ~1300gallons (~17miles per gallon)

vs

Hummer H2 (lots on the road in Anchorage) for same
distance = ~2000gallons (~11gallons per mile)

Simply put America, park those ridiculously big cars (H2's
, F350's), buy a Ford Focus/Honda Civic/Motorbike for your
daily commute (or better yet, take mass transit) and put
the oil where it's needed most, in the tanks of our
CJ's/Yak's!!!

Just my 2 (CDN) cents worth.

Mike

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184280#184280

====

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

100LL is already US$11 per US Gallon-not Imperial -in many parts of the UK!!
Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

[quote] ---

l39parts(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

11 USD per gallon = 440 USD per barrel. The spot price for crude is $130. Where does the rest go in the U.K.?
[quote] From: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Costs
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:04:30 +0100

100LL is already US$11 per US Gallon-not Imperial -in many parts of the UK!!
Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com

[quote] ---

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Fuel Costs Reply with quote

I believe about 65% is in tax.I'm not in the oil business,but I assume the rest is shipping; refining; transport; retailing etc.
Our automotive fuel is not far behind at 9 US$ per US Gallon!!
Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: