Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nauga Field Fly Around - Starhill, LA July 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Nauga Field Fly Around - Starhill, LA July 11, 12, 13 Reply with quote

Two weeks ago I didn't think I would be sending this announcement. This event was started last year when John Williamson and John Hauck called me from Homer's and said they will be here the second weekend in July. I had seriously considered canceling the Fly-Around this year. It just wouldn't be the same without John W and it won't be the same. However, after a few notes back and forth with John H and a few other folks, I was convinced that the one thing that would aggravate and disappoint John Williamson would be for us not to do what he loved most.

So the Nauga Field Fly-Around is on. It will be held July 11th, 12th and 13th.

Nauga Field (LS35) is located ~ 15 nm north of Baton Rouge, LA in the wonderful community of Starhill, LA.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/LS35

FAA Identifier: LS35
Lat/Long: 30-45-45.1000N / 091-16-38.1000W
30-45.751667N / 091-16.635000W
30.7625278 / -91.2772500
(estimated)
Elevation: 38 ft. / 12 m (estimated)
From city: 5 miles E of ST FRANCISVILLE, LA

Nauga Field is a short grass strip with obstacles (trees) at both ends. Kolbs can handle this fine, but not much else. If you are not proficient at short field landings over obstacles then Nauga Field will be very intimidating. The runway is 1550 ft tree line to tree line. Thresholds are displaced 450 ft from both ends. You can use what you can get down to.
In July, the density altitude will be at least 2000 feet due to the heat and humidity. No two person operation because of that. David Key can verify this if you need. If you plan on flying in and are not used to short grass strips, please practice or don't fly in for your safety and ours.

There is a camp/FBO. Showers and serious restroom facilities are available across the road at the Starhill Fire Station.

Camping is the preferred option. It will be hot.

We'll provide most of the groceries.
Friday Lunch - cold cut sandwiches (maybe chicken/sausage gumbo)
Supper - red beans & rice w/ sausage & cornbread (John H)
Satuday
Breakfast
Lunch - fly to False River (HZR) for EAA chapter 244 fish fry
Supper - hope to have wild pig feast
Sunday
Breakfast stuff
Lunch if you need it and haven't departed.

You won't go hungry. We don't charge. There is a tip/donation jar only. Give as you deem appropriate.

Saturday evening we'll try to have the shortest landing contest. John H won last year by landing with his brakes locked (wet grass).

This is a Fly Around. The main entertainment is flying our Kolbs.

Let me know if you plan on attending so we can plan the menus and groceries. Also, if there is enough interest, there will be T-shirts. So include your shirt size.

We had a blast year even with marginal weather at times. Come pass a good time!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Nauga 7-2007 FA 049.jpg
 Description:
John W with the Queen of Nauga Field (Ms Dorothy)
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

Nauga 7-2007 FA 049.jpg

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: