Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing cabin top plastic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig(at)craigandjean.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice on, or photos of installing the top Lexan window
(7F19-1)? The plans are pretty light in this area and I don't see anything
in the photo guide.

The plans indicate that the Lexan is just riveted to the cabin frame. Will
it crack? What about the rivets through the top longeron gusset 7F3-3SP
(what does the "SP" suffix mean anyway?). Do those rivets pass through the
Lexan and the gusset (unlikely) or does the window just rest on top of the
rivets in this area?

-- Craig

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
kmccune

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

I'm not that far, but lexan will not crack. Acrylic will crack when most inconvenient to you however.. They are not the same.....FYI.
Kevin

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune
moorecomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

[quote="craig(at)craigandjean.com"]Does anyone have any advice on, or photos of installing the top Lexan window
(7F19-1)? The plans are pretty light in this area and I don't see anything
in the photo guide.

The plans indicate that the Lexan is just riveted to the cabin frame. Will
it crack? What about the rivets through the top longeron gusset 7F3-3SP
(what does the "SP" suffix mean anyway?). Do those rivets pass through the
Lexan and the gusset (unlikely) or does the window just rest on top of the
rivets in this area?

-- Craig[/quote]

Craig,

According to drawing 7-G-2, suffix "SP" designates new parts or modified parts to comply with the 1100lb. gross weight increase.

Best regards,

Craig Moore A&P
Mancelona, MI
701 builder wannabe

do not archive

challgren(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

On Jun 6, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Craig Payne wrote:

Quote:

>

Does anyone have any advice on, or photos of installing the top
Lexan window
(7F19-1)? The plans are pretty light in this area and I don't see
anything
in the photo guide.

The plans indicate that the Lexan is just riveted to the cabin
frame. Will
it crack? What about the rivets through the top longeron gusset
7F3-3SP
(what does the "SP" suffix mean anyway?). Do those rivets pass
through the
Lexan and the gusset (unlikely) or does the window just rest on top
of the
rivets in this area?

Craig:

You are having the same problem I had for about two months. I was so
confused about the two different door instructions they were talking
about I finally called Caleb at Zenair. I have the all lexan door (a
third type door) and I found there were no plans for that door. If
you have the same one, call me and I think I can explain what to do as
we did about 90% of the pilot side door today.

If you have the door with the metal bottom I can explain which plans
you have to follow.

Your questions: The Lexan will not crack. I used a 3/32" bit first
and then expanded it to 3/16" with a bit designed for plexiglass
work. Try it on a piece of scrap first. I used the scrap from what I
had to cut off the top of the door.

If you have more questions send me a message at <challgren(at)mac.com>
and I will respond.

Stan

Mike Hoffman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

When I installed my Lexan top, I tried to score the edge and snap it over the side of my table. When it snapped, it broke and did not follow the line. I had to buy another piece ($75.00) from a local source.

The second piece was cut with a cut off wheel and filed smooth.

Mike H

txpilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

I just installed my top window. A couple tips I've learned:

Aircraft Spruce sells a special drill bit for Lexan and Plexiglass. Here's the link:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/plexidrill.php

I've used the 1/8" bit to start and enlarged using a #1 step drill bit (unibit) when necessary. As long as you don't force it, it works great!

For cutting Lexan, I try cutting it like drywall. Hold a straight edge along your cut, score it a few times using a utility knife, and then gently fold it along the cut line. A little filing may be necessary, but it works well and leaves a straight edge.

Regarding riveting, I did rivet the top window to the top longeron gusset, 7F3-3SP. I think it was only one rivet drilled. It leads to a nice transition from the top tube to the top fuselage skin.

BTW - the 'SP' stands for 'sport pilot'. Before the 'SP' parts, the CH701 was limited to a Max t/o weight of 960 pounds. With the addition of heavier and/or thicker parts in critical structural areas, ZAC increased the weight to 1100 pounds.

Dan Ginty
N787DG
90% complete
Expected completion date: June 32nd

ronlee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

If I had it to do again I would not install the Lexan on the cabin top. If you ever have to replace it it is going to be a major job. Much easier to put on aluminum and a small window that could be replaced without removing the wings. Also, I fly in the desert an the solar gain is impressive, I had to install very dark film to the inside of my plane ceiling to block the heat and glare. One other things to consider is that it is very difficult if not impossible to seal the ceiling( Lexan) against water leakage. Everyone here with 701s has the problem. Thee ceiling will leak while sitting out in the rain. I seems every thing in the cabin gets wet.
Ron Lee

NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

I like mine, I used a thin self stick weather strip 3/4" wide along the entire perimeter under the Lexan and have no leaks. I like my Lexan top, great visibility for seeing traffic and things above you. I don't think that it would be hard at all to replace. No different than a piece of aluminum. Punch the stems of the rivets, drill off the heads and pull off the Lexan.

Just my opinion.

Bob Spudis
N701ZX/912S/155hrs

In a message dated 6/8/2008 11:24:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, rlee468(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
If I had it to do again I would not install the Lexan on the cabin top. If you ever have to replace it it is going to be a major job. Much easier to put on aluminum and a small window that could be replaced without removing the wings. Also, I fly in the desert an the solar gain is impressive, I had to install very dark film to the inside of my plane ceiling to block the heat and glare. One other things to consider is that it is very difficult if not impossible to seal the ceiling( Lexan) against water leakage. Everyone here with 701s has the problem. Thee ceiling will leak while sitting out in the rain. I seems every thing in the cabin gets wet.
Ron Lee

--------
Ron Lee

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
[quote][b]

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

You WILL need to take the wings off to replace the plastic on the roof. Lots of the top plastic is covered by the aluminum that blends the wing to the top. Install a window between these to pieces. Change it in an hour when need be. You can't see through aluminum anyway so any plastic under it is useless as a window and there is lots of it. I found it quite a chore to fit these pieces snug, nicely, to the plastic without great care of not scratching it. Believe me if I had it to do again it would be an aluminum top with a window installed between the slopes.
Ron Lee

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

Craig,

The plans are light. Not alot of info at all.
Leave the protective cover on.
I layed it on top of the fuse and traced out sides, I cut to the inside of this line for a perfect fit.
I cut the rear for good rivet clearance and edge distances.
The front edge will overlap the frame so you will have a decent edge distance for riveting.Do not drill
front untill you install windshield.
I did all cuts on the workbench using a straight edge and scoring it a few times with a utility knife.
I then folded down the cut for a clean break. If it doesn't fold fairly easy, score it again.
Once cut, I started drilling in place. I taped it so it wouldn't move, marked a line and drilled
using a fan as used in the pictures.

If you search the archives in the old zenith list for ruruny, you will find lots of advice from other
builders on this install, windshield etc.

One question that was never answered and never in the plans was the rivets on the gusset, and the tube connections
at the front of the frame. Whether to drill and rivet thru these. I just let the lexan lay on top of these rivets as I felt the
lexan is not part of the structure(see pics again).

http://www.701builder.com/00fuselagehome.htm

The brace goes on the diagonal by drilling to diagonal first using a right angle drill. I trimed the bottom of the brace even with
diagonal. Clecoed it on to diagonal, took covering off lexan, clecoed lexan down and drilled down thru lexan thru brace.

Brian Unruh
Long Island, NY

....Does anyone have any advice on, or photos of installing the top Lexan window

Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news, & more!
[quote][b]

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing cabin top plastic Reply with quote

A tip for cutting the lexan. Don't use a regular knife. Use an Olfa knife. I just cut mine and it cuts like butter compared to aluminun. It cuts through easily and then there is nothing to break off. Actually the paper is still holding it together.......Geoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: