Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Flying, was Slow Flying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitfoxfugit(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Low Flying, was Slow Flying Reply with quote

With respect to the Super Cub that went down in AK while circling to examine whale bones, Leonard Perry noted:

The description of the wreck is ..."typical moose hunter stall. You are looking at something on the ground, and stand on the rudder to swing around yet you are holding opposite aileron so your wing does not obscure your view of what ever you are looking for on the ground. Your normal stall in a cub is pretty straight ahead much like the kit fox or avid, however, in the cross controlled stall it is an immediate spin. Normally you are WAY to close to the ground to recover. Keeping that ball centered is key to staying alive."

To those who want to look at something on the ground, remember that your first priority must be to fly the airplane. Always. Do not get fixated on what you are trying to see. You can come back around for it or circle longer.

First, you must you must clear the area (you may end up spiraling down into obstacles or drifting toward a canyon wall or antennae or tall tree). Then, it is like instrument flying, you must keep up your scan (quickly but not necessarily in this order):
1. Look out front - what is the airplane headed toward (is it clear ahead);
2. Check airspeed - is the airspeed sufficient for your bank angle (for planes in which you cannot tell by feel or sound);
3. Check ball - is the ball ball centered (you should be able to feel coordinated with practice but it doesn't hurt to check);
4. Check altimeter - are you losing altitude - and add throttle as needed to maintain altitude for your airspeed and degree of bank;
5. Examine your interest on the ground briefly;
6. Repeat the scan. Fly the airplane first, then look at item of interest briefly, then fly the airplane.

JA KF 4 (at) O70

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Rich L

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Low Flying, was Slow Flying Reply with quote

Excellent words. I did pipeline patrol and animal tracking in Idaho and this was always on my mind. Even though I read so much about this particular crash I have found myself doing it and quickly correct and count my blessings.

Rich

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Low Flying, was Slow Flying Reply with quote

The key to all of this is to be smart. I do flat turns all the time, but you must be very careful. First off I fly at 60mph or higher when I do it. If the turbulence is to much, I will not do it. Now a cross wind is ok, but if it is unstable, Don't do it. Things like this are fun, but you need to have a brain about it. I also have VG's, I think that helps out also. It's like yank and bank, I love doing that as well, I hold off the runway on take off about 2 feet, as soon as I get to 80mph I pull up and turn out at the same time, a nice pull on the face and where am I looking when I do that, the IAS, I won't let it go under 55 mph, by the time it gets there I have the plane 90degrees to my take off role and straight ahead and coordinated. You need to be smart. Oh and if some of you are wondering, as I'm on the take off the speed slows and I'm easing up on the stick, giving it forward movement to keep the airspeed at 60 and then after I straighten the plane out I maintain 55. I only do this one if I'm by myself and the fuel is at no more than half capacity. weight and balance is important also.

If you can't maintain proper speed, than you need to stay with training flights and be happy with that kind of flying. Keep this in mind, speed saves lives. Which is the opposite from driving a car, where speed kills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: