Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proper Flight Instruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Proper Flight Instruction Reply with quote

Kolb guys,

I am sure I am among many, when it comes to feeling sympathy for Bill's recent mishap. Truly, it was unfortunate. (Bill, I'm sorry to hear about your accident.)

It would appear he over-estimated his abilities, and may not have been ready for the flight practices he was
engaging in. Sure enough, crap happens, and now he paid a big price for his "jumping the gun".

Now, before anyone starts complaining about me "kicking a guy when he's down", I DID THE EXACT SAME THING!!" as Bill did. I was NOT ready to solo an ultralight, but that didn't stop me from trying. The results were all too common. Yes, I smashed the ultralight. Yes, I got hurt. Took me weeks to recover. Thank God I got a second chance. Hurt like a SOB!!

The purpose of this email is to admonish ALL of those who are contemplating flying their own plane to get competent instruction...and complete the flight training, before trying to fly their own craft. Just because you had some form of previous flight training years earlier, like Bill and I had, doesn't mean you are ready to launch into the wild blue yonder!!

Again, I am sad to hear about Bill, and especially the recent loss of our fellow Kolber, John W. But, we all need to keep in mind this is a VERY unforgiving sport we are involved with. It requires the utmost in mechanical maintenance, proper skill, and sober judgment. Many are counting on us to do our best. Assume nothing.

Not preaching, just commiserating.

Mike Welch
MkIII building, and not flown yet

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Ralph B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Flight Instruction Reply with quote

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co
Quote:
Kolb guys,

I am sure I am among many, when it comes to feeling sympathy for Bill's recent mishap. Truly, it was unfortunate. (Bill, I'm sorry to hear about your accident.)

It would appear he over-estimated his abilities, and may not have been ready for the flight practices he was
engaging in. Sure enough, crap happens, and now he paid a big price for his "jumping the gun".

Now, before anyone starts complaining about me "kicking a guy when he's down", I DID THE EXACT SAME THING!!" as Bill did. I was NOT ready to solo an ultralight, but that didn't stop me from trying. The results were all too common. Yes, I smashed the ultralight. Yes, I got hurt. Took me weeks to recover. Thank God I got a second chance. Hurt like a SOB!!

The purpose of this email is to admonish ALL of those who are contemplating flying their own plane to get competent instruction...and complete the flight training, before trying to fly their own craft. Just because you had some form of previous flight training years earlier, like Bill and I had, doesn't mean you are ready to launch into the wild blue yonder!!

Again, I am sad to hear about Bill, and especially the recent loss of our fellow Kolber, John W. But, we all need to keep in mind this is a VERY unforgiving sport we are involved with. It requires the utmost in mechanical maintenance, proper skill, and sober judgment. Many are counting on us to do our best. Assume nothing.

Not preaching, just commiserating.

Mike Welch
MkIII building, and not flown yet

Mike, this is very good advice and I too flew with only 2 hours of training. I got lucky and only damaged the gear legs. Even with many hours of flying, we all need to be "on our toes" as we have recently seen. There is a local pilot that severed the fingers on his hand in an accident that was completely preventable. He had many hours logged in his flying career.

Ralph

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
DAquaNut(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Proper Flight Instruction Reply with quote

In a message dated 6/16/2008 1:25:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ul15rhb(at)juno.com writes:
Quote:
Even with many hours of flying, we all need to be "on our toes" as we have recently seen. There is a local pilot that severed the fingers on his hand in an accident that was completely preventable. He had many hours logged in his flying career.

Ralph
This is so true. One of our worst enemy's can be complacency or lack of fear or respect for what we are doing. This also applies to maintenance big time!  It's a shame it takes tragedy to wake us up and shake us into reality, but that's human nature. Lets ALL be careful. Sorry don.t mean to preach.

Ed Diebel   FF# 62 99 hrs ( contemplating 2nd decarb soon)
Do not archieve

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
[quote][b]

Ricochet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Proper Flight Instruction Reply with quote

Quote:
Sold my Firestar to a newly "certified" ultralight pilot who had
bent the legs on his instructor's plane when landing. Every
flightof his in "my" Firestar ended the same way, the last mishap
putting the kabosh on any more flights in it. Makes me think his
instructor may have certified him to avoid replacing gear on his
own plane. The first through third flights in my Firestar bent the
gear from flaring too high. The last happened after several crow
hops down a very long gravel runway, and a final takeoff to go
around. Unfortunately there was little runway left before a barbed
wire fence. When he saw it, he pulled up. That got his mains over
it. Of course pulling up lowers the tail, so it was the tail that
snagged the fence and pulled off several hundred feet before the
Kolb slowed and fell out of the sky. When he called me on his
cell, I knew it was bad news since every flight had resulted in a
similar phone call and a mishap. We hopped in a 182 and flew out
to him. He broke a few bones, which put him out of work for
awhile...but he's itching to get back into the flying sport again.
The Kolb is a taildragger and does take a bit more skill. Wish I
still had it.

Ricochet

Challenger II cw
Avid
Teman
Hiperlight (2)
GT 400
Firestar
Titan II w Jabiru 3300
Skyranger

Quote:
Mike, this is very good advice and I too flew with only 2 hours of
training. I got lucky and only damaged the gear legs. Even with
many hours of flying, we all need to be "on our toes" as we have
recently seen. There is a local pilot that severed the fingers on
his hand in an accident that was completely preventable. He had
many hours logged in his flying career.

Ralph

--------
Ralph B
Original Firestar 447
N91493 E-AB
21 years flying it
Kolbra 912UL
N20386
0 years flying it

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=188144#188144

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: